Root toner help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenna

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a client who is a base 6 and throws a lot of warmth out!

I used wella 6/16 as a root tap for soft grow out with her bleach foils, but it is was still warm!

She doesn’t like any gold/red tones. So I know she won’t like it.

Can anyone recommend there ‘go to formula’ for this type of client.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone

I have a client who is a base 6 and throws a lot of warmth out!

I used wella 6/16 as a root tap for soft grow out with her bleach foils, but it is was still warm!

She doesn’t like any gold/red tones. So I know she won’t like it.

Can anyone recommend there ‘go to formula’ for this type of client.

Thanks in advance.
What developer did you use for this?
Either it's lighter than her natural colour and it's shifted it and exposed the warmth, or the developer used was too high.

1.9% welloxon pastel.

She is in between a base 5 and 6.

Am I better off using a base 5 then? I thought I would use illumina over colour touch as it’s already violet based?

Can you recommend a colour?

Attachments

• B5545656-2687-483D-B431-0D00D3053DB1.png
    B5545656-2687-483D-B431-0D00D3053DB1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F41A7ED8-9B1E-45C6-9BD2-32B1E5789B4E.jpeg
    F41A7ED8-9B1E-45C6-9BD2-32B1E5789B4E.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 0
Hello, be aware that Koleston is alkaline based so more likely to make a change to her hair.

If you want to only add tone or depth I'd use Colour touch.

I like illumina but it is still more alkaline.

I'd probably use Colour touch 66/07, a CT plus colour as it has additional deposit ability.

1.9% welloxon pastel.
So we had issues with the pastle going warm. I don't know the science but the pastle bottle was warmer or inconsistent compared to the colour touch 1.9%

KP will also bring out the natural pigment.ifbyou need to use this then add something stronger then the natural pigment. I also find since we'll is a brown based colour having something with /7 is a good idea. You could try something like a 6/71 5/0 and /68 for instance but it really depends on if you are going neutral or cool. Cooler colours would look deeper.

I presume it was Illumina that you used based off of the shade choice? Illumina is a permanent colour and even with pastel will still break the base and expose underlying warmth of the natural hair, which chances are is what you’re seeing. If you wanted to lower the alkalinity so it’s less likely to expose warmth I’d recommend using Illumina as a glossing mix, which is one part colour, one part pastel and one part Wella post colour treatment. Alternatively for a soft formula that won’t break the base I really love using Colour Touch in equal parts 6/0 + 7/1 with 1.9%. I find it’s really nice for root taps/shadows as it looks really natural but is also a really soft result! :)

I presume it was Illumina that you used based off of the shade choice? Illumina is a permanent colour and even with pastel will still break the base and expose underlying warmth of the natural hair, which chances are is what you’re seeing. If you wanted to lower the alkalinity so it’s less likely to expose warmth I’d recommend using Illumina as a glossing mix, which is one part colour, one part pastel and one part Wella post colour treatment. Alternatively for a soft formula that won’t break the base I really love using Colour Touch in equal parts 6/0 + 7/1 with 1.9%. I find it’s really nice for root taps/shadows as it looks really natural but is also a really soft result!
I presume it was Illumina that you used based off of the shade choice? Illumina is a permanent colour and even with pastel will still break the base and expose underlying warmth of the natural hair, which chances are is what you’re seeing. If you wanted to lower the alkalinity so it’s less likely to expose warmth I’d recommend using Illumina as a glossing mix, which is one part colour, one part pastel and one part Wella post colour treatment. Alternatively for a soft formula that won’t break the base I really love using Colour Touch in equal parts 6/0 + 7/1 with 1.9%. I find it’s really nice for root taps/shadows as it looks really natural but is also a really soft result! :)
Thank you,

I was thinking 5/1 + 6/0 as her hair throws a lot of gold 🤷🏼‍♀️. I always find 7’s throw more gold tones. Do you think that will be too dark?

Thank you,

I was thinking 5/1 + 6/0 as her hair throws a lot of gold 🤷🏼‍♀️. I always find 7’s throw more gold tones. Do you think that will be too dark?
I'd say that would probably be okay if you're fine with it dropping quite dark as I've found that formula can be quite flat. I've never personally had issues with 7/1 in Color Touch more specifically so still would say 7/1 + 6/0 is a good bet but if you're happy with the warmth that 5/1 will give as it fades as well as initial depth then I'd say you'll be fine! :))

Latest posts

Back