rope perms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldilox

Reaction score
hi does anyone know anything about rope perms or perms done with rag rollers? ive heard that you get the same effect as using tongs or rag rollers to normally curl your hair put permanently obviously. ive seen per-a-rods advertised but cant find anything else like this has anyone used them?

Yes, we have used a nylon rope to perm hair, it gave a very loose touseled look, not a straight forward curl. We got our rope from a regular hardware/home improvement store cut it to about 8 inch lengths then wrapped the hair just like you would on a rag roller tied the rope and permed as usual. There wasn't a distinct curl, it wasn't as strong as the result of curling tongs, but it was a soft, fresh off the beach look.

Yes, we have used a nylon rope to perm hair, it gave a very loose touseled look, not a straight forward curl. We got our rope from a regular hardware/home improvement store cut it to about 8 inch lengths then wrapped the hair just like you would on a rag roller tied the rope and permed as usual. There wasn't a distinct curl, it wasn't as strong as the result of curling tongs, but it was a soft, fresh off the beach look.

Hi Jeni , hey what a fab idea got to give that a go , thanks for that :hug: x

I'll be honest...the idea for this came from a student, we've also tried coat hangers (the wire with plastic coating) we bent the hanger and put a large, I think we used orange or peach rod, in the center and wound the hair over and cliped at the top- it gave a soft zig zag pattern. We also tried popsicle sticks and tongue depressors but the edges were too hard and it didn't look nearly as nice.

This is why I try not to stifle the creativity- who knows where the next out of this world trend will come from....

i'm trying to find rags that have wires and foam built into them with which to perm with. do you have any ideas where i can find such an item? Right now i'm using a product called Mad Matt Perms, but they are discontinued. any ideas would be fabulous. thank you so much.

We actually found them at the dollar store, I haven't been able to locate any at our suppliers.The rods we have are wire covered in foam with a plastic end cap. You can also find them at Walmart.

Latest posts

Back