Rottweiler help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry just seen photos of others and they don't look disimilar to yours. Maybe my sister in laws is just a fatso x

Ha ha! No my female Rottweiler was a fatty! She was huge! I thought that that was normal as she was my first but then got told from the vets she needed to lose ALOT of weight oops :/ didn't make that mistake second time around as was a nightmare to get the weight off, although Duke the male was skinny an lanky anyway!

If he's booked in still go anyway for peace of mind but I'm sure he will be fine. Duke was really really tall, princesses legs looked like stumps next to him! But he was never "big"

xxx

I took him to pets at home today, hes serverly under weight, i feel like such a bad parent :( She said hes healthy and hell be fine, hes got 1 month to put 28kg on!
Weve changed his dog food, hes now on a better one, which will get him to put the weight on, hes stopped growing because hes put no weight on lately.
i have to knock him down from 4 feeds a day to 2, so im going to be prepared for a naughty monkey tonight x

Aww poor baby! But I'm sure if he's like a typical Rottweiler he will scoff all his food and catch up in no time!

It's hard to tell from a picture the size of him but at least you got him checked out and you now know what you need to do xx

Ahh poor Lil thing.He will catch up though with the right food and meals.I will say though that 28kg in a month is a hell of a lot of weight gain so I would be careful because of his hips and joints so just take it easy.obviously he's got to put on the 28kg but do it slow he will put it on in no time.

Also limit his walkes to Lil ones because you don't want him burning off what your putting on if you know what I mean so short walks.

Just a though but how often are you worming him ?

Not sure if this has been mentioned already. At 5 months if he is under weight he will definetaly be undernourished.
I'd take him to the vet, they will check his bloods and provide you with a safe weight gain programme. At this age there diet is geared towards nourishing there bones and all other body systems. A thorough check is needed. Good Luck.

P

I've never had a big dog before, just a westie (what I still have) now I'm unsure wether he's right height and weight for his age. He's 5 months old, I've posted a pic of him x
I use to have a rottie years ago, lovely dogs if you train them well. He is very cute but does look very under weight, take him to your vet, and good luck with him enjoy.

I've had Rotties for over 25 years and I made the same mistake with my first - largely due to reading books which all said don't over feed and don't let them get fat - this is important when they are older not when they are growing babies. My poor dog used to try and steal food out of the bag when I went to feed her I just thought she was greedy it was instead she was hungry cos I wasn't feeding her enough :( his body should look more proportionate to his head (as he grows his legs won't for a bit as they go through a 'gangly' phase) I only found out it was wrong because someone said it to me so well done for seeing something isn't right yourself xx They are great dogs and lifelong loyal friends he'll be fine now your on the right lines so early and an old trick many Rotties owners and breeders use to build muscle is to feed raw tripe daily

Do they have a vet at the store or is this just a service they offer?

What is his weight? If he's only 5 months and he needs to gain 28kg that must be close to the weight he should be. He looked tiny in your photo but although thin he didn't have that bony look underfed dogs have which just makes me think even more a vet should see him to make sure there isn't an illness or even just a genetic reason he's so tiny. If there is then crashing 28kg on him in a month might not be the way forward and you could end up with an overweight smaller than average Rotty. Some dogs, despite a pedigree, just don't fit the average or grow up looking how you would expect. Hugs to you xxx

I've done some working out for you because 28kg is about 61lb.Rough guide he should weigh about 54-60lb at 5 months.So if there telling you that he needs to put on 28kg which is 60lb he's going to rather overweight because you have got to count his weight now in that to.

Are you sure they said 28kg that he had to put on coz 28kg is 61lb ish.He should be 54-60lb in weight now. X

I would take him to the vets to get him checked over properly they know best.

We had a female rottie and she had hip displaycia ( dont know how to spell it!) and was on steroids so we had to try and keep her weight down so there wasnt as much pressure on her joints.

Not been on for a while! Sorry for late replys.

He's now 6 months old, and should be 60kg for his age, his foods made a difference his coat is nice and shiny and not dry, he's not bloated all the time, he's fine ATM. He went vets yesterday as well and they said they'd rather him be underweight then over weight because its hard to get the weigh of rotties. They said his weights fine he's 20kg Now, they just said continue with his new food and he should be fine. We've also put him on tripe to build him up x

Its really great he's doing well, that great news. I am amazed he should be 60kg for his age given he's 6 months though. That's about what a big adult Rottweiller weighs. Was that a typo perhaps?

I love his face in the picture you posted, he looks like a nice natured soul xxx

I have a Rottie X German Shepherd and he weighs 50KG. He is supposed to lose 5kg but he is nearly 8 and slowing down a bit. I would agree that 60kg is a fair expectation for a Rottie ( My lad has the GSD legs, face, a little broader, and ears so the legs are a bit fragile for the rottie body) I also thought your pup looked a bit thin but some pups are hyper and burn their food off before it can turn to "padding" 20kg is still very underweight for his age, I would expect him to be 30 to 40kg by now and 50 to 60kg by 18 months old. A rottie's fur is the most shiny fur I have ever seen on a dog. They are so glossy and gorgeous, a dull coat is always a sign that there is something wrong, either better food required or maybe illness. When I changed my boys feed their coats went quite dull. People still say they are glossy but nothing like they were on the previous food. Unfortunatley £48 every 3 weeks is a bit steep when £12 is the alternative.

Have a google on homecooked food for your dog. Not just left overs but actual meals especially cooked and designed with your dogs nutritional requirements taken into account. I have a lot of info on this as this is all my boys ate for years and it was not that expensive PM me if you want some links or recipes

Get him checked out, there must be a reason for him being so underweight. The worry is that he might have health issues later on in life due to malnutrition in his formative months. Ask if a calcium supplement or multi vitamins would help. Ask for a second opinion!!!! I do hope that he will be fine, I come across so many badly starved and neglected dogs in rescues and pups can have issues for the rest of their lives if they did not get adequate or proper nutrition whilst growing.

Last edited:
That's great news. Glad you went to the vet and they are happy enough.

Good luck

P x

He's fine, he's put some weight on and his coat and everything is fine, now he's 6 months were going to get him on raw meat, (vet said its best)
He won't have problems when he's older because he's healthy and we look after him very well, the vet also said boys are smaller than girls as puppies and then he will fill out at about 18 months, because he's got such a big head it means he's going to be a big boy.
Of to the butchers for me x

Latest posts

Back