Running a hair/beauty salon question...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleTips69

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to expand my business, from a nail & beauty salon to a hairdressing, nails and beauty salon. I'm not a hairdresser, although have worked in many hair salons as a receptionist/beauty therapist - do you think you need to be a hairdreser to run a succesful salon and manage a team of stylists?

Also while I'm here.....has anyone ever advertised for a business partner?

Very often you get very competent and experienced hairdressers managing a salon but whose people/business management skills are sadly lacking. What you actually need to run a successful business is someone who is a competent manager as well as having some specific hairdressing skills. Unless you have a "head" stylist to whom the other members of staff can turn to for technical questions.
I've always been wary of managers (in the IT world) who don't understand the first thing about Perl/Java/Project management/insert specific skill here. How can I respect someone who can't advise and guide me? On the other hand how can I respect someone who can't manage people?
It's all about having a balanced skill set for me!

Hi Yes I think it is possible but I feel it has more to do with your personal qualities and business/managerial skillsets than if you were a hairdresser (although that would help). Although I am a skingeek I do have a hairdressing certificate and practised for a few years as I thought it would help my beauty therapy business. I found I was wrong and that it was a different kind of animal! I knew I was a beauty therapist at heart and wanted to put all my energies into one thing.

As for business partners - associations have never personally worked out for me but I am sure there are those for whom it has been beneficial.

Latest posts

Back