Salon disagreement over tanning!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinknsparkly

Reaction score
Ok, this is going to take a bit of explaining so here goes.... so I currently rent a room within a busy hairdressers in the town centre.

I do Nails, Lashes, Beauty and am trained in Tanning. I have been wanting to introduce tanning to my treatments offered for a while but have put it off due to budget.

Anyhow the hair salon where I rent my room already has their own automated spray booth which some customers love but on the other hand some wouldn't touch with a bargepole. I have an increasing amount of clients whom have asked me if I do manual spray tans as they would never ever in a million years want to use an automatic booth.

So, I asked the lady that owns the salon if she minded if I got a manual spray machine (I would have understood had she said no). She said it was fine, go ahead as long as i didn't advertise and just mentioned it to my clients who wanted it. So I have been researching for a few weeks and finally settled on a machine and solution I was happy with. I went ahead and everything arrived yesterday.

So I was all excited and went to the salon today to take the package in and have a go with the machine. The owner looked horrified and asked 'why have I bought that?' I reminded her I had asked and she had said she didn't mind. Her response was oh yeah but that was ages ago.

She then went on to say she could see problems and didn't want it taking business away from her machine. I reilliterated that was not what I wanted and it was just to offer my clients that really wouldn't want an automatic tan the option so they didn't end up having to go elsewhere.
(Quite a few clients will have their nails done with me then say oh I have to go down the road to X salon now for my tan)

We ended up agreeing to "see how it goes"

I personally can't see a problem as I really do only intend on offering tans to those customers who really want a manual as in my opinion they will not settle for an automated if they are against it they will just go onto the next salon.

Am a little annoyed as had she just said no I wouldn't have spent my money!

Just wondered what are everyone's thoughts on this and does anyone have any ideas on how I could convince the lady who owns the salon of my views.

Until she sees it with her own eyes, there's nothing you can do to convince her I'd imagine.

I think if you've got a good working relationship with you then her mind will rest easy pretty quickly, especially if her existing automated clients remain that way and don't start migrating over to you. If they do, you might have a bigger problem convincing her.

The other way which might be open to you is to tell people you offer a manual tan but on a mobile basis - if that's an option for you?

I've never had an automated tan and I don't know whether I'd like it or not, on the one hand you don't have to get your kit off infront of anyone, on the other, who checks the tan under your droopy boobs! Lol!!

I'm sure there's a market for both and I think you'll find a way through, but let it take time, and expect her to be suspicious for a while.

xx

Thanks, hopefully once I start everything will go smoothly I guess only time will tell. When she confronted me about it I explained I just wanted to offer it to people who would only have a manual but she said that's all very well but what happens when they tell their friends etc :confused: I didn't know what to say to this.

I had considered the mobile option however I work long hours as it is and am not sure would be able to fit this in as well as being at the salon.

Hope it all goes OK and she feels better about it soon as this has really knocked me down. Will feel awkward when I have my first tanning customer whom I already have booked in at the end of this week.

Don't feel awkward when you get your tans in, feel vindicated that you made the right business decision!

As for 'what happens when they tell their friends', well, they increase the awareness and reputation of her salon, win/win all round I'd say!

Good Luck!
xx

If it gets to the point were her clients r coming to u then u could offer her a cut of what u make to keep her sweet! U could ask your clients where they've heard of u if not from her then u keep the money xx

Do you have a contract stating what services you can and can't offer?
If not get one and if so have an amendment drawn up for the tanning.

*pink* this is absolutely nothing against you but I really don't understand why so many people operate on a verbal basis in this business. Are there any template contacts available on SG? If not perhaps we could get some in place.

I was going to say is it written what you can and can't offer? At the end of the day it is your business and she did agree to it, so seems like her luck's out to me xx

I dunno why your boss is so adamant for change. Surely she can tolerate a booth and a machine?? But as a con she maybe doesnt want you pinching clients even thou she doesnt offer that service. (who would get the money her or you? -resolution a profit share??) So to me if shes against your ideas or further training for you, id look elsewhere, because some people are not amenable. Good luck! xoxo

Personally from a salon point of view, I cannot understand why she said yes in the first place. I would not have done so.

The booth she has will have cost a hell of a lot more than the equipment you have purchased, and she obviously needs that to pay it's way.

What kind of price are you also doing the tans for, and how does that compare to her booth price?

I think you have to assess what you could lose by introducing this service if it affects her business and she could decide to stop you doing this, if it is not in any contract, and of course the ultimate could be her ending the tenancy you have on her business premises.

What some therapists seem to forget when renting a room, is they are not the premises owner, and seem to think they can just do as they please. Not saying you do this. But we have certainly had therapists do this, however they rapidly find out where the door is!!

Hope it works out for you and the salon owner.

Personally from a salon point of view, I cannot understand why she said yes in the first place. I would not have done so.

The booth she has will have cost a hell of a lot more than the equipment you have purchased, and she obviously needs that to pay it's way.

What kind of price are you also doing the tans for, and how does that compare to her booth price?

I think you have to assess what you could lose by introducing this service if it affects her business and she could decide to stop you doing this, if it is not in any contract, and of course the ultimate could be her ending the tenancy you have on her business premises.

What some therapists seem to forget when renting a room, is they are not the premises owner, and seem to think they can just do as they please. Not saying you do this. But we have certainly had therapists do this, however they rapidly find out where the door is!!

Hope it works out for you and the salon owner.

This is exactly why I asked her in the first place! I would have not said yes as a salon owner either. The fact is she did say yes! As I do agree the machine cost her a hell of a lot and I can appreciate her not wanting to loose business from it. This is why I agreed not to advertise and only to offer it to clients who would have gone elsewhere.

I guess the only reason I would have said no as a salon owner is the fact that the therapist could poach my clients and not be trustworthy about it. Suppose i will just have to prove I wont do this.

I have not forgotten that i do not own the salon just because I rent a room. I would not have even dreamed of introducing a treatment without asking.

I guess I will just have to prove to her that the only reason I wanted to add this treatment on is to prevent my clients who wanted it from having to go elsewhere and risking me losing them as a client for other things as a consequence.

I also agree with some of the other posts too and in future will be getting things in writing.

Latest posts

Back