Salon jobs, always low paid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
Just wondered if I am being unrealistic in expecting to be paid half decent money being employed? Or shall i think about self employing in some manner?

Just wondered if I am being unrealistic in expecting to be paid half decent money being employed? Or shall i think about self employing in some manner?

You have not specified if you are beauty or hair it depends drastically.

Sorry, hair x

I think as a basic employed stylist, the pay is usually fairly low with potential to increase it usually only if you hit commission targets etc.

However, if you work your way up in a large salon or salon chain, you could take on more responsibility as a manager or a senior artistic director etc. and expect your salary to rise accordingly.

Obviously if you're self employed, your potential income is much higher but to really succeed, you have to be fairly business-like and spend time planning & developing your marketing strategies, looking realistically at profit/loss figures and working out how to grow your business.

The rewards are greater but so is the commitment required.

I personally believe that hair and beauty and nails and makeup is a generally low paid industry. Minimum wage (or slightly above it) is frequent and self employed work can be sporadic and high risk.

I think the money this industry pays/doesn't pay is such that you've really got to love what you do to feel that it is giving you what you need...like the job satisfaction would need to outweigh the financial sacrifices you might have to make in your personal life.

Yeah guess ill have to move on in future if i want more, id like to do something at home one day but that will be a "one day" thing lol x

I personally believe that hair and beauty and nails and makeup is a generally low paid industry. Minimum wage (or slightly above it) is frequent and self employed work can be sporadic and high risk.

I think the money this industry pays/doesn't pay is such that you've really got to love what you do to feel that it is giving you what you need...like the job satisfaction would need to outweigh the financial sacrifices you might have to make in your personal life.

I would say it depends what area of beauty and where you are based as within beauty if you are alligned with a doctor (harley street) or medical aesthetics they make a fortune on retail and providing services.
Within hair wig makers , hair extension technicians especially those that deal with import and export are often very wealthy if not millionaires if owning the company.
as hairdressers often get a % on services and products colouring is a great money earner due to the sheer amount you can do in a day whilst treatments are processing.
Depending on area due to the shortage of skilled african-Carribean hairdressers they can earn quite a lot look at Errol Douglas.

Nails also drastically depends on clientale and history of winning competitions e.t.c

I see what you mean but I think our industry is like catering; a handful of people are household names as celebrity chefs but for everyone of them there are lots and lots of everyday people who struggle to make ends meet and work all kinds of hours with it being a service based industry.

I'm really really conscious that I'm probably coming across as a bit of an Eyore here because some people do make it big and I don't want to put a downer on that but there is a lot of low pay going on also and I think it's important to enter the industry under no illusions.

I pay minimum wage but that is really bumped up on commission. I pay 5% on treatments and 10% on products. My star employee can make quite a good salary with a little bit of effort. She now has a company car as well.

I honestly think that when you find good staff you have to keep them or you're a fool.

Vic x

I see what you mean but I think our industry is like catering; a handful of people are household names as celebrity chefs but for everyone of them there are lots and lots of everyday people who struggle to make ends meet and work all kinds of hours with it being a service based industry.

I'm really really conscious that I'm probably coming across as a bit of an Eyore here because some people do make it big and I don't want to put a downer on that but there is a lot of low pay going on also and I think it's important to enter the industry under no illusions.
No i think you're right, just thinking about moving out and dont know if i can afford it lol. having a down day and getting fed up. Just thinking about it and hoping ill get more than 1000 pm one day lol x

If you want it Franko you can have it.
Look at the law of attraction.

What sort of thing would you like to do from home one day @funtimefranko ?

It's exactly the same in every single industry. There will be those who are happy with a lower wage (or not happy lol) and those who aspire to earn more and they will achieve that if they decide and they work hard and smart. It's not just celebrities chefs or stylists, there are so many ways to earn more money, there are loads of successful geeks here and running the industry, thousands, but it doesn't involve a standard working week tbh xx

The lady above touched on a good point there about not working a standard week, most of the girls I know who work in the industry do a lot of work outside of normal salon hours (they don't tell their boss tho lol) some of them work untill really late after work doing mobile to pay for holidays/cars deposits for houses etc, they type of thing there's no spare money for when you run a home and work a 9-5 in salon...

Does your salon offer commission of any sort? Is there any management role you could work towards?

I wouldn't bother with the self employed route untill your commited to working round the clock for a few years just to get where you are now financially, I've been in business 2 years now and can only dream of taking £1k a month home at the mo! I'm sure in future I'll be able to but not for another year or so yet depending on how my business grows, but I expect at that point I'll need to employ and then I'm back to square one!

I'd love to hear about the home project tho, maybe it's something you could do alongside salon work untill it's taken off enough to do full time?

I barely scrape a grand a month. I feel like I work all hours! And work my arse off when I'm there! I swear I don't get paid right either but that's different matter. I don't do any private work though. But I just get worries someone would report me. So for me it's not worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I do believe that the low pay and long sporadic hours make working in this industry a career with a shelf life. I'm glad I did it and still keep my hand in and I would recommend it to anyone who's got the bug to do it. However, I do think a number of people will have more than one career in a lifetime as priorities regarding work life balance and pay change with your goals and circumstances.

What sort of thing would you like to do from home one day @funtimefranko ?
Just hair i was thinking nothing to exciting lol, like some sort of room. Ill probably change my mind though and be perfectly fine in what im doing . Just thinking about the future...

Yes they do a commission but its not brilliant. I often get £30 a month extra (when she remembers to do it) ive been very quiet the past couple of weeks so hoping the commision will be better in December x

Hey! £30 a month is £360 a year! Nothing to be grumbled at!!

Keep reminding her, work out what you expect and just make a passing comment when she's forgotten. She's not going to have productive staff if she forgets commission.

Hey! £30 a month is £360 a year! Nothing to be grumbled at!!

Keep reminding her, work out what you expect and just make a passing comment when she's forgotten. She's not going to have productive staff if she forgets commission.
Lol i know i know, doesnt seem much when you're getting it monthly though. I will i have no problem reminding her just forget when i last recieved it (both as bad as each other) lolx

Latest posts

Back