Salon jobs, always low paid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol i know i know, doesnt seem much when you're getting it monthly though. I will i have no problem reminding her just forget when i last recieved it (both as bad as each other) lolx
Does it not appear on your payslip? My accountant puts the basic first, then adds any commission or gratuities that have gone on the card as separate additions then gives an overall total at the end minus deductions for tax and NI.

My view of the industry is different to what I often hear.
Bad pay.....Greedy bosses......unfair hours.....slave labour......:(

I believe that unless we are able to regulate this profession, get rid of the 'pin money' 'youtube' trained operative,...all agree on some sort of 'standard'....and STOP GIVING OUR SERVICES AWAY.....then we're in trouble!:eek:

As a boss, I CANNOT GIVE WHAT ISN'T THERE!
If clients aren't coming in, happy to pay a decent price for a decent service, then how are us salon owners supposed to magic up the money!o_O
On a good week, I take home 'pocket money'....on a bad, the staff get paid, and I keep my fingers crossed that things improve.
Please, do not always assume all salon owners are 'minted'.:p
In this saturated market, of cut price deals and offers, I believe we have lost our 'professional image', to become bargain bucket workers.
We need to change the public's poor perception of our industry, to what it once was...a profession to be proud to be a part of. :cool:

I agree RED STAR. However, I've worked on three four star spas where plenty of customers were on the conveyor belt of paying no less than £35 for a 25 minute treatment. The eight to nine hour days were non stop (sans a 30min lunch break) and most of us were still on around minimum wage even with years of experience. Worse still there were 17 year olds on their ages minimum wage. So for a full body massage they'd get the grand total of three/four pound something (as it was at the time).

Spas really take the mick in terms of what they take in and the proportion they pay their staff. I know spas have overheads but without staff it wouldn't happen. I was mad enough to do it at the time but afterwards, when my health was worse than when I went in, I was like "where can I go now to earn more?" and my answer to myself was another industry.

I do wish it wasn't that was because it is a pleasure to do the treatments I'm still able to but yeah :(

I saw an article on daily mail online today about average salaries, I was surprised that beauty ranked a fair bit higher than hair, hadn't realised there was much difference! Hair was about 10th from bottom although I think it was a bit too low, I know I Pay my stylist more than what's on there! Gonna show it to my son who is 13 as he has no idea what he wants to do so he can see what a big difference there is in the different industry's. I was never driven by money but I Think it depends on your work ethic and how good you are at saving. I had my first flat at 21 (with my then bf and 100% mortgages were a lot easier to get) but still I was on newly qualified hairdressers wage so only earning peanuts. I must admit I Have taken a massive salary cut this year since I left my teaching job, I must be mad but I'm so much happier, money isn't the be all and end all!

Last edited:
What did you teach daydreams01? I am aiming to teach. It's been a long term goal for years. Anything I need to know? ;)

What did you teach daydreams01? I am aiming to teach. It's been a long term goal for years. Anything I need to know? ;)
Hi I was teaching hair nvq/vrq. Did it for 17 years at a few different colleges over the years and loved it but FE has changed so much recently and the fun went out of it for me, it was making me stressed and miserable so once my son was old enough for me to consider working full time again I decided it was now or never and time to change what I didn't like about my life so I opened up my own salon and a year later took voluntary redundancy. I'm a great believer in you regret the things you don't do, not the things you do and so far I have no regrets!
However teaching/ training is a really rewarding career and apart from all the politics and ofsted craziness, I really enjoyed the majority of it. You will need to do your cert ed or equivalent which nowadays is the pttls pathway plus get your assessor awards. It takes a couple of years to do all the training but I managed to get sessional work in colleges alongside my salon work when I first started my teaching course and also work shadowed more experienced lecturers. As long as you are working towards your teaching quails, you can normally get your foot in the door. Also we often had sessional lecturers that got sent to us by an agency and they made a living going from college to college doing cover work! Not sure I Would enjoy that as you don't form any connections with the students or your colleagues but I think it pays ok! Go for it if it's what you want to do!

I dont think my boss is really well off or anything like that and she has given me a increase in pay just up from NMW . Im not saying shes unfair or anything like that and i dont realy mean i want loadsof money now or anything like that... just thinking for the future thats all...

Latest posts

Back