Salon owners advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmc2010

Reaction score
Hello :)

I currently work from a home salon and have done for a number of years. After now having my 2nd child we are rapidly running out of space at home and I really really want to start the process of trying to have my own salon, or at least attempting it!

I have loads of questions but I need to know the basics really to start with costs wise. I already have all the equipment I need to work and I plan to take on a couple of self employed stylists and another beauty therapist/nails tech.

So i've sorted how much I roughly need to buy new equipment to kit out the salon i've got my eye on it's everything else i'm not sure about.

This is what my muddled brain can come up with:-

I know it's normally 3 months lease in advance but could be more.
Electric
Water
Gas
Business rates (or i might be able to get a relief)
Insurance

What else have I missed? Also I know I need Salon insurance but what about insurance for the people who will be working from the salon? Do I need to add them to my policy if they're self employed?

Any help/advice will be gratefully received :)

I guess not then :lol:

I'm not certain as I don't have my own salon, but I would have thought that you need Public Liability at least. I'm not sure about Employers Liability, you are not employing as they would be Self Employed.

Its hard answering with figures as its so individual! ! But I would :

Set a budget for design/finishing touches etc.... then double it! Lol!

Try and work out how many weeks of products etc you will need.

How much for marketing??

Will you be getting somewhere established or renovating? ?

Insurance. .. you will need your own Public liability that covers yourself and anyone who works for you (now insurance doesn't care if they are self employed or not you still have to cover them) but your self employed must also have their own public liability insurance. ( basically if a client sues the sue the salon (you) you then have to sue the therapist!

You may also need contents or building insurance.

Find out how much local council charges for waste disposal.

Get a bloody good accountant! Everyone should have one. They save you more than they cost!

Find out if you need music license as well!

Erm I know im not being very helpful but these are the things that I didnt think if in my costs untill my business plan was started! Will add other things when I thimk of them!

Good luck with if all!! Im sure youll do fab x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

With regards to staff.... have a good think as to whether employed or self employed is best. I will be employing (on nmw ish plys commission) because:

You have more control over hours, uniform, treatment standards.

I want all the staff to have the same standard of treatment.

I want to know they will be in on the days I need them not what they want to do. Etc

Although I will have to pay them a weekly wage no matter what ; I have set a good commission plan in plave to encourage sales etc. They work harder we both benefit!

But....

If you know someone who is an amazing tech and they work as hard as you then take them on self employed. . I do know a nail tech who is amazing and I want them working for me but she is SE but I want her!!! Lol she doesn't even know yet!! Lol

Hi there are so many more overheads with a salon & staff.

rent
rates maybe sb relief
gas
electric
water
insurance
accountant
prs & ppl music licence if you play radio etc
refuse collection and clinical waste staff sanitary ware
telephone wifii
pat testing
fire checks

I opened my first salon with just me & one employee waited to build up clients then added more staff. I am lucky have a good team and one has worked with me for over 10 years. Good Luck x

maintenance

With regards to staff.... have a good think as to whether employed or self employed is best. I will be employing (on nmw ish plys commission) because:

You have more control over hours, uniform, treatment standards.

I want all the staff to have the same standard of treatment.

I want to know they will be in on the days I need them not what they want to do. Etc

Although I will have to pay them a weekly wage no matter what ; I have set a good commission plan in plave to encourage sales etc. They work harder we both benefit!

But....

If you know someone who is an amazing tech and they work as hard as you then take them on self employed. . I do know a nail tech who is amazing and I want them working for me but she is SE but I want her!!! Lol she doesn't even know yet!! Lol

Thank you so much, that has been really really helpful :hug:

Hmmm I might have to reconsider the self employed option as what you've said makes a lot of sense. So many decisions to make lol.

Its so hard! Ive been a manager for years now and always has it on the long term plans to set up on my own. Due yo a change in circumstances I plan on opening in 12-24 mths! Long time I know but I want the right place and for it to be refurbished! (I work in my husband's construction firm so have a realistic insight to the cost and time it can take lol)) will keep posting when I think of new things that can help! ..
Also consider an apprentice, the right one can be trained to your standards and also cross as a receptionist, will cost you a little money to pay wages (u will also get funding) and a lot of time bit imo worth it x

Hi all

May I ask what sort of size would you need for a therapist and a one member of staff? Im thinking a nail bar, lash & brow bar and a treatment room but not sure what size unit I should be looking for?

Very interesting :biggrin:

I am taking over a existing salon next month & cant wait :cool:

Music licence
Staff room amenities
More than one gel lamp.
Duplicates of everything
Window vinyl
Name above door
Card machine

Definitely double your expectations.

Latest posts

Back