Salon Safety?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahlou09

Reaction score
Hi
I am in a bit of a dilemma.!
I rent a chair in a salon & usually by myself most of the time as the owner isnt really in as she doesnt have many clients.
I am getting a bit concerned for me & my clients.
What are the laws regarding Fire safety,Electrical testing & Hygiene?

As none of her stuff as been electrically checked,there aint not fire extinguishers or signs, Shes doesnt have a HSE poster & she uses the same wash bowl to rinse out her cup that she uses to rinse out her colour bowls.
Is there anything i can do? I have tried talking to her but she just aint bothered. :(

Leave! It's her salon and although what's she's doing is wrong and plain filthy, it's up to her how she runs it. You have the choice to stay and put up with it or find another salon with higher standards. I feel your frustration though, so if you have no other choice than to stay, just make sure that everything that you use is spotless and safe. Buy your own fire extinguisher for by your desk. HTH'S

agree. Get out of there a.s.a.p
The owner wont change her ways unless she gets investigated by the HSE.
Find somewhere more professional
xx

I have been looking for somewhere differant but there just isnt anywhere yet but i get married in september so hopefully after then i will set up my own salon :D

There isn't any hot running water in the customer hand wash basin is this illegal as a customer has just told me it is.???

There isn't any hot running water in the customer hand wash basin is this illegal as a customer has just told me it is.???

I'm sure it is as they cant clean their hands, i work in a fast food place part time & i know if the hand basins have cold water for the workers then its illegal.

Cleaning cups and colour bowls in the same basin is wrong? Would you mind if she covered the basin in peroxide?
Peroxide is a great natural cleaner, the colour molecules may not be so great but as long as the cups and colour mix aren't sat in the same bowl of water there isn't much problem (I clean down stainless steel with peroxide to keep it shiny)

I'm not sure about the hse poster in regards to you being self employed but I've never been anywhere that has no fire extinguisher.

If you feel so bad I would leave and find a new salon or go mobile. X

I would call out an electrician to PAT test your equipment and your local fire authority to go over fire safety.

You could purchase your own posters etc

It may make the owner realise that she needs to get these things sorted

At least your back is covered

Also document everything - what's not written has not happened

X

Latest posts

Back