Salon uses eBay gel polish, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaEx

Reaction score
Hey eveybody.

So i just agreed to rent a table at this nail salon in my town. Before starting I asked her what brand she used and she just said ''oh i just get them off eBay''

Now I just got a message off her saying that this girls gels came off this morning after applying them on friday. Apparently they are led so when i asked her how long she keeps them in she said ''60-90secs I do 1 nail each time and if its a dark colour then i put an extra 30secs on them'' You would think this is UV wouldn't you?! But she also uses an led lamp!! I did say to her oh its my fault since I just thought they were led so 30secs would be fine, i've also never had this problem before! I tested it out on myself and they are still on me.

I know your supposed to get the lamp to match the products, which I do! Base and top coat are matching to the lamp and usually its works with another brand of colour like gelish, never had it come off 3 days.

What do I do?! I couldn't believe what she told me! I got to think in the mind of a customer that wouldn't know the different between shellac and gelish to ebay colours but it's difficult! Like i've had some people say to me that when she does it, it hurts their nails when applying them, spike heat...help!

Last edited:
I wouldn't even bother working for her I would leave honestly if she is that cheap to not buy salon products she prob won't want to pay you properly or submit her tax forms I sure you can't claim for eBay items ?!

Could you negotiate a deal where you use your own products that you feel confident with? Otherwise, it seems a shame to be forced into using substandard products, especially if you feel this would negatively impact client results.

Most customers do know the difference between Shellac etc.

You said you rent a desk/work for her? Which one is it? If you rent a desk you are self employed so use proper products rather than her eBay garbage she wants to use. IF you're employed (she's paying your tax etc.) then you might want to think about leaving.

Most customers do know the difference between Shellac etc.

You said you rent a desk/work for her? Which one is it? If you rent a desk you are self employed so use proper products rather than her eBay garbage she wants to use. IF you're employed (she's paying your tax etc.) then you might want to think about leaving.

Sorry shouldn't of put work there. Changed it now. Yes I am self employed for her. I give her £25 per day I am there which is usually 2 days.

Could you negotiate a deal where you use your own products that you feel confident with? Otherwise, it seems a shame to be forced into using substandard products, especially if you feel this would negatively impact client results.
It's a small salon and she has all these ebay colours on the wall behind the nail desk. It would be difficult to use my gelish since she has a lot more to offer and the clients would see them colours. I can't exactly say no to them when picking out a colour thats not gelish. Its a tricky situation that I have no idea what to do.

It's not tricky , if they come to you just say these are the colours available (do a colour wheel) when having service with me. If they ask for colour not your product and is the eBay product just say unfortunately those are display only and not part of the salon offering.

Good luck ![emoji256]

It's not tricky , if they come to you just say these are the colours available (do a colour wheel) when having service with me. If they ask for colour not your product and is the eBay product just say unfortunately those are display only and not part of the salon offering.

Good luck ![emoji256]
Colour wheel! Yes I just might use that system! I'll also have a talk with her the next time im in saying i will only be using my products. Thank you!

I honestly would find another salon to work from.

It sounds like she is either untrained, or was unable to absorb the information and techniques that were taught during her training.

Lots of clients don't really understand that when a technician is renting a room or desk they're actually self employed and technically nothing to do with that salon. It will be very difficult to say "no I can't/won't use that bottle of polish that is right there, because it's not mine/not what I offer" and apart from that, unfortunately you'll very quickly be associated with her, that salon and that reputation. It won't be good for your business.

Leave and find somewhere else.

My advice: Either leave or make it clear that you are only going to use your own products.

Whilst the salon owner is happy to take dangerous short cuts by buying products from eBay, if your client suffers a reaction and decides to sue, YOU will be 100% liable and not the salon as legally, the client has a contractual relationship with you as an independent business separate to the Salon.

Remember, when you're self employed, the salon owner is only your landlord, not your boss.

Also, if you're using non professional brand products bought from eBay, your insurer is unlikely to cover you and so you'd end up covering any court costs yourself.

I wouldn't even bother working for her I would leave honestly if she is that cheap to not buy salon products she prob won't want to pay you properly or submit her tax forms I sure you can't claim for eBay items ?!

Sorry a bit off subject. But you can't claim for eBay items?? I buy all my tanning disposables from eBay and didn't realise this?

When your not using the whole nail company's products you run the risk of them not adhering properly and also giving allergic reactions too the client. There is a post on Doug schoons brain page on Facebook regarding this xxx

Sorry a bit off subject. But you can't claim for eBay items?? I buy all my tanning disposables from eBay and didn't realise this?
You can claim for items from eBay but if you buy things like polishes etc and they aren't from a specified distributor then you will not be covered by your insurance should a claim arise xxxx

I live in South Africa our tax laws are different to uk. What I was meaning is that is this salon owner is trying short cuts in buying knock off or cheap branded items she more then likely does not.
Again that is an assumption on my part so I apologise as its not right to assume anything.

Preserve your reputation and leave her and her eBay products to it.

Latest posts

Back