Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktyclare

Reaction score
Hi all just want some advise I want my own salon how did u all to about it

This is a great question! Can't wait to read replies! :) x

Yeah It is my dream to have a salon with hairdressing and beauty and nails would be amazing just need some advise

Yeah mine too would be amazing! I have no clue about this sort of thing so looking forward to reading some replies from geeks who do! :) x

SORRY for VERY long post - but you asked lol!

I started out getting fully qualified with NVQ beauty levels 2 and 3 (L3 at that time also included artificial nails). Then did salon experience and home-based treatments to build up experience and confidence. To be honest, I started out in the industry with a view to doing mobile or home-based, part time treatments that would fit in with my youngish children at the time - not to have a salon. It really started out as more of a hobby, not a career. BUT, the bug got me! I loved the A&P side of things, and developed a new found love of learning, hence the progression to L3.

I did my original L2 with a small private college, and developed a friendship with the Principal there - we were a similar age (ie not young lol)

After completing my L3, I decided I would, after all, like to open a salon, but due to having children, needed (or rather, preferred to have,) a business partner in order that I wasn't full time.

The Principal of my first college called me up one day on an unrelated matter, and during our conversation I just asked if she would be interested in joining me in a salon venture. She was in the middle of a planning application for an extension to her property for a home salon and acedemy, but would rather have a commercial property although didn't have enough funds, and would love to join in with me instead!

We started out looking for empty premises. We found one, next door to one of our (hubby and mine) business premises, but that fell through at the last moment through no fault of our own. The very next day I saw an advertisement for an existing salon in our local town centre. We visited that evening and bought it - the rest is history!

We were both in the very enviable position that we had rented commercial premises beforehand (and me and hubby had ran our own other businesses for over 20 years), so the landlord was happy to accept us (albeit still after complex references etc.......). If we were just starting afresh, we would have needed a huge deposit (which the landlord would have kept for 5 years!)

We ran the salon successfully for over ten years, including a small private NVQ teaching academy. It is closed now, but we are still very good friends - sometimes having a business partner can work.

hth xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back