Salons undercutting mobile hairdressers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazzi

Reaction score
icon_cry.gif
Salons undercutting mobile hairdressers!! - Today, 12:08 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been a mobile hairdresser for 10yrs, I live and work on the east coast of lincolnshire, considered a "deprived area" of mainly retired folk and non working families. As you can imagine trying to make a living can be quite challenging at times.
I dont think my prices are expensive by any means ie £11 for a ladies trim, £13 shampoo and trim, £12 blo dry, £20 cut and blow.
I have just lost a client of 8 years, who I considered a friend because I am too expensive with a full head of foil hilites - 2 colours and cut at £45!!!
So am feeling quite upset and demoralised at this moment, I dont feel I can go any cheaper and make a small living and run a car!
To put the tin lid on it I have found out that at last 2 salons in town are now doing cuts for £5 and £6.
I cant compete with that, it would not be worth starting my car engine for that.
All I can hope is that theyll go bankrupt anytime soon, and we can all go back to sensible prices and making a living.
Are any other mobile hairdressers experiencing this carry on??
Sorry for the rant folks!! x

Poor you... You stick to your guns. People still believe you get what you pay for. X

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

hi
by dropping your price your showing your not worth!!
you need to work out your petrol, tax ect then the remaining is profit so if you drop you'll be on like £4 an hour!! you may as well go work in a corner shop!!
i'd rather keep the clients that are willing to pay and you always get new clients so don't worry to much about the ones you loose,,, i'm sure they will be back when they realise that you are good, if you have had them a while you 'know' there hair, personality,lifestyle ect so ultimalty your the best for them, you know excactly what they want/need..
it does tick you off tho... years of training to struggle on crap money :/

also the shop must be pretty desperate to drop prices so low so they may not be around that long xx

Omg how are those salons surviving? No stick to your guns don't lower those prices, you get what you pay for in this world. I can only think there reason for lowering there prices is due to the fact they have no bums on seats and they'd go to any lengths to get busy sounds like.

Occaisionally We do it to blow the competition away. Sorry, but that's business.

No salon could ever do it long term though, as they would go bust.

If everyone is having a tough time, it is survival of the fittest. A salon which has no borrowings can survive quite a long time with low profits.

Hi,

Id like to thank everyone for thier kind words! A bit of moral support makes you feel loads better!!
I'm not going to to drop my prices, as they do show your worth, and there are still people out there who realise this. I have got some clients who still think im too cheap!
Also,Im probably too sensitive when I lose clients Ive had for a long time and got on with, I tend to take it personally (not good when your a hairdresser!)
Persionista I realise a salon can manage on low profits for a good while, however, everyone still has to keep a roof over their head, and food on the table. Mortgage/Landlord aint gonna wait!!!!!:suprised:

i am the same.. but keep to ur prices and maybe offer a special offer on a certain day!
hope ur ok xx:rolleyes:

Hi, your prices are fine, if you go any lower you will end up with no profit! As some of the other geeks have said the clients you lose will soon realise that you get what you pay for. I'm sure once the salons put their prices back up again (which they will) they will come back to you!x

Stick to your prices even if you lose a few clients...
I am often asked my prices to be told 'its cheaper in so and so's salon'
My answer is 'my price is my price i will not change it..if you want my expertise then you have to pay for it...' cheaper does not equal better!!!

I,ll bet my last dollar that she comes back to you, with a shoddy haircut worth £5, wanting you to sort it out, I really wouldn't worry

Latest posts

Back