Same clients cancelling!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charli85

Reaction score
Just want to have a little moan....
I have some amazingly loyal customers but I have some really annoying ones too.
Same clients always cancelling the day before appointment.
3 to be exact.
Some people have suggested I have a charge policy for cancellations but how do I go about this?
What do you suggest?
It annoys me as one of these clients is a beautician so understands my appointment system.
One is a mum at the school my children go to, the other is someone I know through a friend.

I don't want to put people off, but it's my valuable time that I could have booked someone else in!!!!

For any repeat offenders I either say I'm fully booked or, if I don't want to stop them coming, I say that I understand they are very busy so it's best for them to phone the day before when they know they will definitely make their appointment and I will try and fit them in (if I can).

If there are no consequences then they'll carry on doing what they do...they just need a little retraining [emoji4]

Just put up a notice informing of it. And then when they book next time just say 'ooh I'm afraid due to last tones cancellation, I'll require a booking fee to secure this appointments. It'll be X amount'

if they keep cancelling tell them they will have to make a deposit for their booking. Will make them think before cancelling. It's worse when they just dont turn up, no message no apology!!

I now take a £10 deposit to secure the appointment which is non refundable if cancelled within 48hrs. Usually paid through paypal. If they are a regular i dont usually bother asking for a deposit unless they have let me down once then i take deposits for future appointments

I am now mobile so can't do a sign.
I may announce something on my Facebook page, it's difficult when these are 'friends'
I appreciate that people cancel for different reasons which can't always be helped.
The worst one is the mum at the school who cancels because she's too tired (anyone would think she's the only person in the world who's had a baby!!)
I have 3 children work full time, some people really frustrate me especially as I'm probably too nice which is getting taken advantage of,
I'm not very good when it comes to money, especially if I have to charge someone for cancelling!!

I should probably say when it comes to payment (im actually good with my own money lol)

This is why i take deposits to book the appointment rather than trying to charge them after the missed appointment. If they turn up for appointment the deposits taken off the total bill anyway so genuine clients it shouldnt bother x

I used to find it so hard and gave discounts, accepted excuses, you name it and I did it.

Years on and I now realise my worth and don't let people get away with it. As soon as I changed my attitude so did they.

Sadly it took me a good 15 years to change so I do know where you're coming from.

Decide if you'll accept how they are or do something different so they are the ones to change.

I just wish I'd changed something a bit sooner!! [emoji37][emoji4]

It does seem a bit of a hassle getting a deposit for every appointment, I do with weddings and colour correction as these are over £60.

It was my new years resolution to be more assertive and although I have done this, certain people do take advantage.
I might just have to be too busy in the future for these troublesome clients.
Thanks for the advice x

If they book back in at the end of their appointment then it's not too much hassle to ask for a deposit for the next one. State that as people have cancelled a few times then this is now your policy. If it's too much hassle to try ask for a deposit then they are going to carry on walking all over you. You don't need to do it for everyone just those 3. I'd rather have hassle than have people that constantly cancel and walk all over me x

I had to start taking deposits Eden though I really didn't want to, I take £20 which is non-refundable upon date change/cancellation, usually that stops any time wasters :)

The salons around here do treatment menus with their cancellation policy on the inside of the cover, stating there will be a rebooking fee of ($__) next appointment if 24 hours notice isn't given so they can rebook your time

For repeat offenders the last salon I was at just used to be conveniently booked at the time they wanted, although in a salon it's easier because we just used to say "oh we are booked for that time, but if you come in some time on _____ day we will see if we can pop you in" that way they're considered a walk in and don't take up a time slot [emoji87][emoji23]

See that's where it is difficult, they never rebook, always want an appointment out of the blue,
Next time they book in I will ask for deposit.
How much do I charge is its just for cut and blow dry? 20%?

Verve made an amazing sign and posted it to Facebook free for people to use for a like or comment about cancellations X

See that's where it is difficult, they never rebook, always want an appointment out of the blue,

It's entirely up to you! Whatever you feel is acceptable. You could charge a fiver or 20%. Some people charge 50%

Just send out a text/update stating if your not given X amount of time upon cancellation, a surcharge will be added on of $x amount at your next appointment, when they cancel if it's not in that time frame just say "yes I can cancel, but due to the short notice there will be a small fee added on at your next appointment"

It made a lot of our ladies reconsider same day cancellations, if they were genuine we had no issue cancelling but for the repeat offenders, you have it on the menu to fall back on [emoji23] we honestly hardly implemented it unless it was a chronic case, in which case it wasn't really a terrible issue if she never booked again

Definitely get a deposit and I would try and phase them out keep saying your busy. It's so rude to keep canceling and very disrespectful!

Latest posts

Back