Saturday staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do 2 days a week in my salon.
Wednesday is my placement day for college - free.
Saturday I work for 8 hours or more - we don't usually get out at 5 when we are supposed to - and I get £25.

I'm 23 and should actually get £50 for 8 hours but tbh I'm so passionate about making it that I don't mind ? Some girls in my class work sat as their placement and get nothing but the occasional tip.

I will be speaking to my boss soon regarding summer hours though as I refuse to give up most of my summer for very little!xx

Saturday I work for 8 hours or more - we don't usually get out at 5 when we are supposed to - and I get £25.

I'm 23 and should actually get £50 for 8 hours but tbh I'm so passionate about making it that I don't mind ? Some girls in my class work sat as their placement and get nothing but the occasional tip.

I will be speaking to my boss soon regarding summer hours though as I refuse to give up most of my summer for very little!xx

Thats illegal. Minimum wage is there for a reason.

Whoah.. when I was in my placement years ago I was getting $12 an hour.
They felt I was ready to take on full paying clients and therefore gave me the most they could for a placement plus my tips. Some employers make me sick. Especially when there are government grants available to business to help offset the cost of hiring trainees

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Think you were all lucky to get what you did when training lol.

When I was a saturday girl I got paid £10 for the day 8am til 5pm and this was only about 6 years ago!! I topped up my income by working 2 other jobs around college. If I was in college in a morning then i'd work til 8pm in my shop job. Or if I had an evening session then i'd work all morning and afternoon and then go to class. After I finished at the salon of a saturday i'd go home shower, eat and nap and then report to my bar job at 10pm ... finish at 4am and go home sleep, shower, eat and then be back in the shop for 11am. Sunday evenings I would just crash and sleep straight through til monday morning and start again.

Did that for the entire 3 years I was at college doing my levels 2 and 3 ... existed on energy drinks and caffeine tablets .... then crashed and burned and had to have two months off work recuperating because i'd pushed myself so far. The salon had no pity for me whatsoever and by the time I was better they had hired a new saturday girl .... which fair enough they needed for while I was off but I was a bit heartbroken as I had thought I may get a full time job at the end of it for showing how dedicated I was.

Know I am not a typical case as most teenagers aren't supporting themselves paying for their houses etc. while going to college but it has made me decide that I will always pay my staff well and fairly and give rewards where possible in return for loyalty, passion and hard work.

£20/£25 a day! I would of loved that when I was a junior and that was only last year I was 18 and getting £80 for 40hours lol !

£20/£25 a day! I would of loved that when I was a junior and that was only last year I was 18 and getting £80 for 40hours lol !

Yes but im assuming that was an apprenticeship for that money? Saturday girl is different as they arnt training etc z

Was before my training, £2ph is still illegal to apprentices its 2.68ph <3 x

Well you should of complained about it if you knew it was illegal. It was £70 a week when i trained

I was never a Saturday girl in a salon, went straight into an apprenticeship. I did 4 days in the salon and one day at college and I was paid £100 a week, from the age of 16 till I was 18. Before that from 14 yrs I was sat staff in a chemist (was put through sales of medicine training aswel) I worked 9-5:30 and was paid £21 a day! That was 14 years ago xx

My first salon employer was a cheeky t**t though, I was doing blowdries and root colours (clients were being charged full whack!!) and I still only got my £100 a week xx

My first salon employer was a cheeky t**t though, I was doing blowdries and root colours (clients were being charged full whack!!) and I still only got my £100 a week xx

We were doing that and got £70 a week! Lol.

£70?!?! I love my job and loved it back then but I don't think I would have got out of bed for that! X

Your Saturday girl if you employ someone should still be entitled to minimum wage at least - it is the law. £20 for an 8 hour shift is crazy.

£70?!?! I love my job and loved it back then but I don't think I would have got out of bed for that! X

Thats what apprentice wage was 12 years ago, and im glad i stuck it out as now i can earn 200+ a day mobile.

5 and a half hours £20 x

I got£15 8:30-3 in 1999!

Thanks everyone x

How do people cope with no pay at college?

I struggle at college financially. I couldnt go on Monday. Couldnt afford the petrol. Did have a job in a clothes shop but was sick of abusive customers throwing things at me swearing etc. EMA still exists. Its 30 quid a week but they find any excuse not to pay it and for over 19's (in wales) ALG its 1500 for the year, paid in 3 installments each term if you are lucky as again they avoid dishing it out if possible.

I always thought saturday girls were paid 15 for the day. It was the case 13 years ago when i went into a hair salon. Sadly it almost put me off and i persued a career in care for a few years!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back