Scalp bleaching the rules(?) and staff problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekaddict

Reaction score
Hiya Geeks..

Hopefully this won't be a long one, I'm often on here but got my own salon and want to keep hidden if poss :)

I don't do hair but having just opened my salon (and having worked in a big v professional hair franchise before) I wanted to do hair. Found a hairdresser (i just do beauty) and due to time I just got her to do a blow dry as a trade test, and was happy as she was doing it all blow dries and hair ups have been really good.

I gave her a month rent free and then i've just taken her month for December, I provide quite alot and she provides colour and other bits and pieces. We do treatements and hair as a trade for each other. I was a bit concerned that with only 3 weeks of growth on my scalp bleach that she was saying 'you have roots, I'll do them for you today if you want.' i've been having my scalp bleached for over a year and it is in a short style but seriously good condition and for the most part I use Kerastase and rarely let straightners touch it. I managed to put her off till just over 5 weeks, and let her do it tues...I'm quite particular about it being pure white and as a dark blonde naturally it lifts really easily. She put vasaline round my hair line (I've never had that before as it always touchs my scalp slightly) mixed it up and applied the bleach and covered with a plastic cap and a towel... and left for half an hour.

I know it itches but it seroiusly was hot, rinsing it off my scalp felt tender and I blow dried it myself as i would have been late for my beauty client, it didnt feel like my hair. I'm fair and had a bright red forehead and still have some red scaly bits around my hairline. Later that day I said it does feel a bit unusually hot, what did you use on it, she showed me some powder stuff, i think inoa from sallys and used 12% 40vol liquid. I called the guy who had previously done all my colour and done a beautiful job of it everytime (he lives too far away from my salon to work for me ) and he said its illegal to use 12% and the towel shouldnt have been put on and maybe that powder was only for highlights not scalp. I slept with a professional conditioning mask in.

This hairdresser is brilliant with the clients, apart from this does a really good job but has admitted to not having done any colour training in the last 4 year (since she has been in the uk all her training was done abroad.) I sat down with her yesterday morning and said I'm really happy to have her in the salon, but I told her I think it's way too stong bleach/poss illegal to use that now and told her I was a bit concerned and got a second opinion from someone v experienced in colour. She is proud and didnt take it very well. I said I didnt want to patronise her as she is the hairdresser and generally good at what she does but I'd like her to do some up to date colour training, even if its a day at sallys to get used to her whole kit. she recently coloured over a bright blonde colour flash in our beauticians hair and I thought that looked a bit greeny rather than the medium brown hair on the rest of her head and she said it was only a semi permanent colour but it looked a bit crappy and im not sure the beautican was overjoyed tbh.
I thought by having a one on one chat it might be okay but since she has been like a sulky child. Barely talking to her clients and I'm new to managing people and don't know what to do about it all now. I need a hairdresser and if she said 'yes i suppose a refesher would be okay ill look into it' i think we could draw a line underneath it and move on....what should i do???

bleach and 40vol is a big no no especilly on the scalp!!! not sure it's illegal mind. Any trained hairdresser should kno that.

I don't kno anything about employment but if your not happy with her I would get rid. You need to have confidence in your staff.

Hang on, she burnt you, yet when you point this out she behaves like a sulky child? Any monkey can do a blow dry, if you are not a hairdresser then you need a real hair pro. She clearly has no idea.
There are loads of good hairdressers looking for jobs at the mo so I would get rid.

Oh my gosh!! a 12% on the scalp? im suprised youre scalp didnt crack open and have checmical sores. Only a 6% is allowed on the scap and a 9% at the most of the client signs a disclaimer. But even im a bit afraid to use a 9%!! I would of used a 6% and then left it on that little bit longer or even done 2 applications. She needs to go back and train again. and the fact that she is being sulky, i would just tell her if she doesnt start to act like a professinal then shes out. She can hate you for telling her off, but its youre name and rep on the line. and for youre scalp, use a lot of conditioner and cool rinses. It should return back to normal soon but you will probs have a tight scalp that looks wrinkly. :) this is really bad practice, i would of sacked her on the spot!

I agree with all of the above. Definately get rid! What if she had done that to a client! Insane!!

its not so much that shes put 40volume on your hair as some need that to lift the colour i think but shes obviously used bleach on the scalp which i think your lucky to even have hair left i dont put bleach on anybodys scalp dont care if they want hair stripped etc i just dont do it but i dont think you should maybe sack her i think this is the way she has been trained so talk to her and suggest an up to date colour course shes probably been sulky cos shes done wrong but u need to get that nipped in the bud and be tough remember your salon=your reputation xx

its not so much that shes put 40volume on your hair as some need that to lift the colour i think but shes obviously used bleach on the scalp which i think your lucky to even have hair left i dont put bleach on anybodys scalp dont care if they want hair stripped etc i just dont do it but i dont think you should maybe sack her i think this is the way she has been trained so talk to her and suggest an up to date colour course shes probably been sulky cos shes done wrong but u need to get that nipped in the bud and be tough remember your salon=your reputation xx

Im sure a more experienced geek will correct me if I am wrong but in my opinion...

I would never ever mix bleach and 40vol. If they need that amount of lift i would personally do it in stages.

Stripping the hair (in good condition) with a low % bleach bath is safer and less likely to cause damage than using 40 and bleach on the hair.

totally agree with lauren bleach AND 40 vol recipe for baldness lol i would only use 40 on a very rarely basis with colour nowadays you dont really need more than 30 x

Last edited:
right heres my opinion ... ive been hairdressing for 14years, never ever would i 1, use bleach with 40 on the scalp. 2, cover any full scalp application with ANYHTING. 3, let someone lose on clients who doesnt follow basic health and safety.

Id advise you to get rid of this girl ... find yourself a very experienced hairdresser/salon owner to assist you with future interviews and trade tests, i've been emplyed many a time on the grounds of a blow dry and it astounds me! Trust is a huge issue ... your business is your baby, and this girl will ruin you if your not careful, if shes stroppy she obviously doesnt have the right attitude to be in business ... especially yours!

In future i suggest getting models in for potential stylists to perform trade tests on, get a disclaimer signed and watch like a hawk! Ask every question that pops into your head ... why? when? how? etc...

Im so shocked this person has even had the guts to take on this position to be honest. Says alot about a person.

Sorry if ive rambled, things like this really get me on my high horse.

Hope you get this resolved :)

The bleach thing as said above is totally un acceptable. It is a RULE taught in the basic colouring of NVQ level 2 that bleach and 12% is never to be used on the scalp. As for the colour flash being green, thats pretty basic to, the colour would have taken fine on the hair that was already a brown colour, but on the bleach, she should of done a pre pig to stop the colour "grabbing". Its time for her to go, she is incompetent and obviously thinks that basic rules are not necessary. Time to find your self a new hairdresser hope you sort it out and good luck xxx

Fact is, you don't put a solution of that strength on the scalp. We all know this.
Owner to owner, my concern would be the fact that you call her 'proud'. Our craft is an ongoing thing. I would be taking a firm stand against any stylist who felt that training is no longer part of her job. If she is not committed 100% she would be out the door, end of story. She feels that she knows everything there is to know and that is the biggest problem you will ever face.

I personally would never put higher than 20vol on the scalp. If anyone wants anything more than that then they will need to go elsewhere. I just won't do it.

It all depends on the individual - sounds like you've been burnt!

This is a major no no! I used to have my hair bleached and would only have a maxiumum on of 20vol on my scalp!
IMO bleach should never be used with 40vol anyway as it just causes the hair to disentegrate!
I can't understand this stylists attitude, we never stop learning, and if this stylist is unwilling to learn, from her mistakes and in general then maybe you should find yourself another stylist who will, you want the best staff possible for your business.
x

Latest posts

Back