Scalp is irritated after colour at salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
I'm hoping some hair geeks may be able to let me know if there is anything I can do regarding my scalp being irritated after my colour was applied a few days ago.

By irritated I mean that I want to scratch it a lot but I am able to stop myself going too far to prevent breaking the skin. It has reduced in intensity since the first 24 hours but it is still there. I have had regular skin tests at the salon for the colours and this episode has triggered me remembering that for the first 24 hours last time I had the same, but it wore off.

It's not a major annoyance and obviously I will let my Hairdresser know, but is there anything I can do or apply to relieve the need to scratch it for now?

Thanks.

If it happened mildly before and this time it's worse, I would lay off that colour, it seems you have developed a reaction to it and will only get worse.

Are you on any medication? Changed washing powder since the first time it happened? Has she changed her brand of colour?

Don't put anything harsh on it, do you have any antihistamines? If not the supermarket will have some piriton or something, that will relieve it for now , but it's NOT a permanent option everytime you have a colour.

You must tell your hairdresser. Or the next reaction will be worse.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Agree with KHS, piriton is good for short term immediate relief.

However, if it feels unbearably itchy, see your GP. They may be able to offer you a solution to apply directly to the scalp. I had to do this when I had a bad reaction to Fudge brand colour.

Definitely, advise your hairdresser and ensure you always have a skin test before every colour.

Have u washed your hair yet?

Make sure you tell you hairdresser, do you know product is use? Ammonia free products are commonly known to cause 'sensitivity', also can be sign that the product is mixing incorrectly.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

My scalp was always a nightmare if I had my hair coloured around the time of my period. If it was any other time it was fine. Just had to be careful when I booked my appointments!

Thank you all. Sorry for the late reply, I wrote that quickly before leaving for work today and have just got home.

Yes I have washed my hair a few times since my colour was done. The only thing that was different this time was I chose different shades, but from the same colour house (sorry, I don't know which it is). But it was a similar sensation as last time, but this time it has lasted slightly longer. Funnily enough, with distraction I don't feel it being itchy and it's only since coming back to this thread that it has triggered it again since writing this thread earlier.

It has definitely lessened since earlier today, but I will let my Hairdresser know well before I return next time. I have Piriton, so if needed I can use that.
Thanks again, much appreciated although disappointed that this could be a slippery slope. :|

Nicole, I'm allergic to Fudge brand but fine with other brands. I have hairdressing pals who have developed allergies to a particular brand of colour but have no reactions with other brands.

Try not to worry. It might not be a slippery slope just a sticky patch. ;)

I hope it's the case that it will be ok. I have let them know and will be going in for a skin test in case I need to switch to another brand.

It's stopped now, but it was a week ago that it was done and I am guessing I washed my hair around four times in that week. The previous time I remember thinking that maybe some residual colour had not been rinsed properly and then forgot all about it.

We'll see :)

I hope it's the case that it will be ok. I have let them know and will be going in for a skin test in case I need to switch to another brand.

It's stopped now, but it was a week ago that it was done and I am guessing I washed my hair around four times in that week. The previous time I remember thinking that maybe some residual colour had not been rinsed properly and then forgot all about it.

We'll see :)

Unfortunately skin testing you in a different brand will not show up if you will have an irritated scalp after.

Did you ask which colour they use?

No, I didn't. Are some more known for it than others? They did say about possibly switching me to anther brand etc, so I'm hoping we're not done with colouring my hair already.

I'm not ready to be (more) grey yet. :cry:

Latest posts

Back