Scalp sensitivity and banding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faerififi

Reaction score
Heya Im half way through my level 2 and dont trust anyone at college to do my hair so i do it myself at home.
Its relatively short still and i bleach my roots using Affinage Ice Creme, but every time I use it with 6% (ive also tried 3%) my scalp is very sensitive and I cant seem to keep the product on long enough to stop the banding occurring at my roots. Any tips on what I can do? I have used it on lots of friends and only one other girl found it as uncomfortable as I do, the rest could barely feel it.
It gets to the point where I find it so uncomfortable I end up washing it off a bit early so always have yellow roots. Annoying to say the least when the mid lengths and ends are toned beautifully by 9.117 in the gothic collection...
Any tips?
Thanks, Fi

What's your natural?
Try just using the tint alone, if it's no good go for a highlight.

Why won't you trust the college? It dosent sound good on your education if you can't trust others with the same amount of education and experience to do your hair. Aren't the tutors present in the salon? I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you can't trust your fellow students then it won't make good for you to do others with the same education xoxo

Im a natural base 4, um im using a full head scalp bleach as I like to have my hair white/silver, Im too dark for a hilift tint to work to the levels I want it to lift to.
My college is good but the girls in my class arent very advanced compared to me or that confident plus im very picky about my hair.
I dont want to sound big headed but its well known around the hairdressing department that im pretty advanced for a level 2 and have a lot more experience. Thats mainly because I do so much reading on the subject like on salongeek and because I do a lot of hairdressing work out of college on friends and family. On our commercial salon days I always get given the difficult clients and harder colours to do (foiling, flooding in between, numerous colours etc).
I duno why my simple question has turned into me needing to prove my worth, but here it goes.. everyone knows college education is fairly basic. If you just took what we learnt and left it I wouldnt know half the stuff I do from my own research, asking other hairdressers on here and when i worked in a salon. The girls arent as advanced because they mess about during lessons and treat it like school.

Personally if your base 4 the white silver look is un-realistic as its to much to get it light! I'd either have a re think of what colour you want or try cream bleach but I really don't think you will get much further x

Well ok im going by my level chart, base 4 on it says medium brown? although i always thought that a 4 was really dark.. but cos i havent seen my natural in about 3 years it could be lighter. It could be more of a 5/6. I dont have a problem lifting it anyway, it is not in bad condition at all. I was just more wondering about sensitivity with affinage? Cos its more that i cant leave the bleach on long enough for it to lift properly because I find it so uncomfortable. Nevermind anyway will have to ride it out i guess, thanks guys.

Ok well even so it's still very dark and your gonna get discomfort lifting that base to so light, but your obviously more experienced and know more than very experienced stylists, I've gave my advice and opinion and will leave it there.

Ok well even so it's still very dark and your gonna get discomfort lifting that base to so light, but your obviously more experienced and know more than very experienced stylists, I've gave my advice and opinion and will leave it there.

I didn't sound nasty when I said about te education did I? I only meant it as people can't be confident doing others hair if they aren't confident with the other students.
I'm a true perfectionist when it comes to hair and must say I trusted the students in my class implicitly with my hair because I felt I knew enough personally to do my own that they also knew.

Saying that there were students there who traveled miles to get to the college and had to pay their own transport when they could have got to college free at a closer college and passed many on their way, all for the reputation xoxo

Yeh sorry tomme I do get worked up because I put alot of effort into college and learning, I wouldnt trust my classmates because most of them dont pay attention and its obvious they dont want to be there. There are people in my old class who i would trust because they also paid to go and really want to learn.
Why would I get discomfort from having slightly darker hair? Not wanting to cause arguments but asking a genuine question? Surely the darkness of my hair wouldnt affect my scalp sensitivity? I dont have an issue with tint just bleach. Its not from leaving it on too long as I dont usually go above a half hour or from too strong peroxide, plus the other girl found it very uncomfortable was at least a base 8. Im hardly undermining your knowledge Bluerinse, I just wondered if anyone else had that kind of sensitivity using such low strength peroxide and what they did about it.

Yeh sorry tomme I do get worked up because I put alot of effort into college and learning, I wouldnt trust my classmates because most of them dont pay attention and its obvious they dont want to be there. There are people in my old class who i would trust because they also paid to go and really want to learn.
Why would I get discomfort from having slightly darker hair? Not wanting to cause arguments but asking a genuine question? Surely the darkness of my hair wouldnt affect my scalp sensitivity? I dont have an issue with tint just bleach. Its not from leaving it on too long as I dont usually go above a half hour or from too strong peroxide, plus the other girl found it very uncomfortable was at least a base 8. Im hardly undermining your knowledge Bluerinse, I just wondered if anyone else had that kind of sensitivity using such low strength peroxide and what they did about it.

It's bleach, mines the same, The reason you get sensitivity is that bleach is a lot more aggressive than tiny, especially if it's been rubbed into te head or your pores on the scalp are large ( and I don't mean visible in all cases). Getting from a 4 to lighter than high lift would take more than 30 mins, and need a minimum of 12% that's why it's not advised as a full head scalp application colour.

I get scalp discomfort to all colours because of having a mistake done on me in a salon years back ( not giving details, but it was a rep from the colour company doing it) which has left me using a steroid lotion off the doctor for possibly me life if I keep colouring my hair.

But basically bleach is more aggressive and most will feel something, it also depends on people's pain threshold xoxo

Heya Im half way through my level 2 and dont trust anyone at college to do my hair so i do it myself at home.
Its relatively short still and i bleach my roots using Affinage Ice Creme, but every time I use it with 6% (ive also tried 3%) my scalp is very sensitive and I cant seem to keep the product on long enough to stop the banding occurring at my roots. Any tips on what I can do? I have used it on lots of friends and only one other girl found it as uncomfortable as I do, the rest could barely feel it.
It gets to the point where I find it so uncomfortable I end up washing it off a bit early so always have yellow roots. Annoying to say the least when the mid lengths and ends are toned beautifully by 9.117 in the gothic collection...
Any tips?
Thanks, Fi

Hey :)
I use ice creme for all scalp bleaching and never had a client saying its uncomfortable, and I use it on myself every 3 weeks for the sole reason that it's more gentle on my scalp than any other bleach ive ever used and a love mint products (scalp treatment, facial washes/moisturisers, shaving foams)
In my opinion your discomfort could be for one of two reasons:

Youve washed your hair too soon before you bleach it so there isn't enough natural oil on your scalp to protect it.

Or

You're sensitive to mint products in general (my partner can't use anything 'minty' without a great deal of discomfort)

I'm guessing the 9,117 doesn't feel too great after bleaching too? And if it doesn't cause any problems when toning, I'd say you're sensitive to the mint in the product...

Hope this helped somewhat :) x

Latest posts

Back