Sculpted gel tips vs plastic tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

I'm experienced with Gelish gel polish for a number of years now but have very recently done a gel nail course with extensions (plastic tips that you glue on).

I've been watching tutorial videos non stop this past few days and I've saw length being created by "sculpting a tip with gel using moulds (popits)

I'm wondering is this a stronger option than glue on tips and if so, should you charge a little extra for a sculpted tip than you do for plastic ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)
Xx

If done very well (correctly structured and built up with a strong apex and design) then sculpting is stronger

However

Sculpting the shape and structure with gels 'looks easy' but it is much harder to master, especially for someone new into sculpting gels. A sculpt even slightly mis-balanced or incorrectly balanced will snap and chip very easily.

A tip, well thinned and blended, will provide a great basis for you to build your gel onto, making it easier to create a strong nail enhancement.

Hope that helps

Thanks that does help!:) sculpting wasn't even covered in my course. Literally just gel and false tips. I've been constantly researching and watching tutorials online since my course and have been learning ALOT more that way. I was annoyed at how much my teacher had left out.

I have a client who asked for gel extensions next week and then said not glue on tips, gel extensions. Which I'm assuming she is talking about sculpture.

I have bought the forms and different bits and pieces online and think I will just be practicing it until it is mastered before offering sculptured nails then!

Like you said working on the base of a plastic tip will be fine for learning and getting to grips with the gel building.

Thanks again [emoji4]

No problem

I suggest getting up to skill with tip and overlay.

Then once your work is good and lasting well you can go and do an advanced training day to learn sculpts. Even fitting forms is an art in itself

Just jumping on here but I have been using gelish soak off gel for natural nails and completed a gel extensions course yesterday. I rang nail harmony and they only do a buff off hard gel. Can anyone recommend a good soak off brand as opposed to having to file off?

Bellisima is very good! I'm actually doing a course with them on sculpting in a few weeks time and they're gel is fab. It's soak off too and big range of colours. Infills on average of 4 weeks rather than 2 and last up to 6 weeks :)

Thank you. Will look them up. :)

Your welcome MummyK [emoji4] let me know how you get on![emoji4] xx

A sculptured free edge and a tip used for a free edge give no strength at all. It is there just for length, no strength purposes whatsoever. The strength comes from the apex/stress point

Thanks Kirste!:) I know what you mean:) I know the tips don't provide strength to a nail, I just meant in terms of glue on tips and sculpted tips, which is the best option. Which I now believe is sculpted tips, glue on tips can pop off quite easily whereas sculpted ones seem to be stronger , from what I've seen anyway![emoji85]
I'll be doing a course in a few weeks time on sculpting which seems to be a popular request where I am located! Looking forward to it:)
Thanks again [emoji4]

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1437001784.278914.jpg

I completed the sculpting course yesterday folks! Here is a picture of some of the work I done. So for the foreseeable future it will be practice, practice, practice! :)

Sculpting Is definitely an art form and super tricky, but I have to say I love the outcome!:)

Well done ! It took me ages to master sculpture to what I was in the beginning wow took me hours now I love it!

I Ment to say: look at Calgel you can sculpt with their gel it is 100% soak off and does not ruin your natural nail, amazing colours available and available world wide. I don't like the IZ gel which in Europe same company sells I prefer the original Calgel.

Thank you nailpod! [emoji4][emoji4] you're right it's definitely tricky to master! I've ordered a nail trainer hand to practice on which wasn't cheap but I think it will be worth it when I can practice whenever I want and when I can't get a model to sit for hours [emoji85] lol!

Thanks for the calgel recommendation also! [emoji4] I was looking at that brand funny enough a few weeks ago! I've trained with a brand called bellissima which is completely soak off and strong so that you can sculpt/ infill etc too and I found out that they were actually the importers of calgel at one stage!:O

So far I have to say the gels are so easy to work with and a big colour range and I really like the idea that they are green certified too! That's a big bonus for me personally! I might try calgel if I'm ever doing any more training in future and I'll do it with them to see what it's like too [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back