Sculpting a nail directly onto the nail bed !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missgiggles

Reaction score
I posted a message on here few weeks ago , about my mums friend with no toe nail on her big toe ( its just skin) and i was told that i can sculpt.

She is popping round tommorow for me to transform her feet ( she is also having trendy nail wraps on to) she hasnt had a toe nail on her big toe for 5 years so shes quite excitied !

What im asking is , could anyone give me any handy tips and advice please :) What is best to sculpt on a big toe? paper ( best way i can describe it really! im sure u know what i mean ) :) or the metal sculpt form? and what colour acrylic would you use? i suppose it doesnt matter really does it , if a trendy nail wrap is going on top?

It will be a HUGE achievment if it comes out ok tommorow as im only a student at college learning and will be so proud if it looks right :)

thank you all :)

No advice as i havent done anything like this but am very interested in the replies you get. I think its amazing to be able to do this for someone and i'd love to know how without risking overexposure etc.

Let us know how you get on!! x

No advice as i havent done anything like this but am very interested in the replies you get. I think its amazing to be able to do this for someone and i'd love to know how without risking overexposure etc.

Let us know how you get on!! x
One would only risk overexposure if one repeatedly sculpted directly onto the skin.

The way I have done this for people is to first make a prosthetic toenail and then glue it directly onto the nail bed with GelBond so that it lasts. SEARCH prosthetic toenail and you will find out how to.

prosthetic nail will last for a few days (maybe more if you are lucky but it is winter and with wearing closed in shoes, I wouldn't expect it to last very long). When the prosthetic nail comes off it can be glued on whenever the client wants. Clean off the adhesive underneath when it comes off with a drill bit and it can be used for quite a long time again and agian.

Last edited:
And the technique of glueing it back on like Geeg mentioned is exactly why I like to sculpt mine with traditional hard gel directly on the toe in coverage pink and natural white. This way, the client can change the polish on it whenever she wants or wear it without polish at all and reapply the nail as many times as needed; and it will not break down as fast as L&P. You just need to make sure they know the proper method of glue removal and cleaning the area before reapplication.

An amazing trick I learned recently is to "float" cuticle oil over the skin and then sculpt over the top of it with sculpting gel. It's a technique that I was shown at Bio Sculpture and it works awesome with that gel. I have used this technique on finger nails and it works GREAT (although I haven't used it on toes, but I will do in the future if I get a client who needs me to use this technique). It took a few practice goes before I perfected it, but I promise you... it worked for me!

An amazing trick I learned recently is to "float" cuticle oil over the skin and then sculpt over the top of it with sculpting gel. It's a technique that I was shown at Bio Sculpture and it works awesome with that gel. I have used this technique on finger nails and it works GREAT (although I haven't used it on toes, but I will do in the future if I get a client who needs me to use this technique). It took a few practice goes before I perfected it, but I promise you... it worked for me!
I know i'm probably being abit dim, but as there is no nail, how would the gel adhere to the nail bed if your using cuticle oil over it. Or would you use gelbond once it had been sculpted??

I know i'm probably being abit dim, but as there is no nail, how would the gel adhere to the nail bed if your using cuticle oil over it. Or would you use gelbond once it had been sculpted??

That's the idea. The prosthetic nail comes off but then can be applied with the GelBond adhesive for a perfect customized Fit! Frankly I have had just as great success with a false nail and Gel Bond which lasts just as long without the hard work!! Can't be used again and again though .. and is not custom made lol some clients just love custom made especially for them.

That's the idea. The prosthetic nail comes off but then can be applied with the GelBond adhesive for a perfect customized Fit! Frankly I have had just as great success with a false nail and Gel Bond which lasts just as long without the hard work!! Can't be used again and again though .. and is not custom made lol some clients just love custom made especially for them.
Thanks for the quick response Geeg, i was a little confused :) But it now makes sense x

Latest posts

Back