Searching for family members

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittensgotclaws

Reaction score
Hi there, i thought i'd put this in the chit chat area as its not about anything in the beauty industry, i have a question for all of you as i need your help with something, if you can spare me five minutes while i explain then that would be wonderful, thanks :) right here goes.

I have been trying to find my older sister and two older brothers, i have their exact birthdates but they wern't born in this country you see my dad was married to their mum years ago and they lived in South Africa thats where my brothers and sister were born but they moved over here when they were older, the last time i saw my brothers i was about 4 or 5yrs old, they were all grown up and had lives of their own, i saw my sister when i was about 9yrs old she already had a family of her own. My question to you is....have you ever tried looking for someone and what route did you take? The reason i ask this is because every where i try to start looking a door just slams in my face, i've tried the council's down south (because thats where i last saw them) i've tried the salvation army but because my dad wasn't married to my mum they wont help me (which is stupid because i want to find the children he had when he was married to a different woman!!) I've been on friends reunited and genes reunited but no luck as their records only go up to 1901. I've searched the internet and everything but just can't get anywhere. If you can help me then i would be so very grateful, Thanks for your time and patience while reading this.

Many hugs, Jo.:hug: Xx

I searched for my dad who left when i was two, i found him when i was 24years old, from the electoral role register! do you have any idea what area they are in? you could try newspaper advertising. also your brother may be easier to find as his name will stay the same even if he is married.
have you checked on face book for them? loads of people are on there, process of elimination i know, but you have to start somewhere. good luck in your search!:hug:

Hi there, i thought i'd put this in the chit chat area as its not about anything in the beauty industry, i have a question for all of you as i need your help with something, if you can spare me five minutes while i explain then that would be wonderful, thanks :) right here goes.

I have been trying to find my older sister and two older brothers, i have their exact birthdates but they wern't born in this country you see my dad was married to their mum years ago and they lived in South Africa thats where my brothers and sister were born but they moved over here when they were older, the last time i saw my brothers i was about 4 or 5yrs old, they were all grown up and had lives of their own, i saw my sister when i was about 9yrs old she already had a family of her own. My question to you is....have you ever tried looking for someone and what route did you take? The reason i ask this is because every where i try to start looking a door just slams in my face, i've tried the council's down south (because thats where i last saw them) i've tried the salvation army but because my dad wasn't married to my mum they wont help me (which is stupid because i want to find the children he had when he was married to a different woman!!) I've been on friends reunited and genes reunited but no luck as their records only go up to 1901. I've searched the internet and everything but just can't get anywhere. If you can help me then i would be so very grateful, Thanks for your time and patience while reading this.

Many hugs, Jo.:hug: Xx

Hi

Have you tried facebook? I found my neice and nephew who we hadn't seen for 15 years on there!

I searched for my dad who left when i was two, i found him when i was 24years old, from the electoral role register! do you have any idea what area they are in? you could try newspaper advertising. also your brother may be easier to find as his name will stay the same even if he is married.
have you checked on face book for them? loads of people are on there, process of elimination i know, but you have to start somewhere. good luck in your search!:hug:

Hi, i have no idea where they are now, the last i knew they were down south but thats going back 20 odd years they could be anywhere now. How do i go about seing the electoral roll? I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, Thanks for your reply.Xx

Hi

Have you tried facebook? I found my neice and nephew who we hadn't seen for 15 years on there!

No i haven't finished looking on facebook, you should see how many Ronald, Kennith and Debbie Dawson's there are on there!!! I will keep looking though.
Thankyou both for your advise.
Jo.Xx

I have found my dads family for him- he was put into care when he was 10. I found both his parents and also a brother and sister who he never knew he had. Unfortunately you need to remember its not always a happy ending and some people dont want to be found, as we found out the hard way and all we got as a result was a hell of a lot of heart ache for my Dad reopened, which was awful to see and feel resposible for on my part. So please, just bear that in mind.
I used genes reunited to access records and then when i was certain of names and ages i used 192.com to find people with matching names to narrow it down. Luckily the people i was looking for didnt have common names which made it easier.
Good luck and i hope you find them and get the outcome you hope for :hug:

Hi, i have no idea where they are now, the last i knew they were down south but thats going back 20 odd years they could be anywhere now. How do i go about seing the electoral roll? I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, Thanks for your reply.Xx

No i haven't finished looking on facebook, you should see how many Ronald, Kennith and Debbie Dawson's there are on there!!! I will keep looking though.
Jo.Xx

Go on 192.com you can search their names on there and if it comes up with anything you can pay a few quid to get full details

Do you know if your brothers or sisters had children ? the reason i ask is maybe you could look for their birth certificates, esp if you know areas involved, or marriage certs of either and crossed reference it with partners names, then you could apply for the certificates, electorial rolls are ?? well youd have to spend quite a bit of time going through them, if you know areas, its easier, but most history centres have them for specific areas that you are researching, im in the same boat, so to speak, I have an older brother from my dads 1st marriage, and its like looking fo a needle in a haystack :lol::hug:
Good look xx
I was going to suggest 192.com

Do you know if your brothers or sisters had children ? the reason i ask is maybe you could look for their birth certificates, esp if you know areas involved, or marriage certs of either and crossed reference it with partners names, then you could apply for the certificates, electorial rolls are ?? well youd have to spend quite a bit of time going through them, if you know areas, its easier, but most history centres have them for specific areas that you are researching, im in the same boat, so to speak, I have an older brother from my dads 1st marriage, and its like looking fo a needle in a haystack :lol::hug:
Good look xx
I was going to suggest 192.com

Thankyou, that is some great advise, luckily i know that my eldest sister has kids and i know their birth dates etc, i shall get straight on that. Your an absolute gem.

Yes it is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack, it all just seems enormous and impossible.....but if lifes taught me anything its that nothing is impossible.

I hope you find your older brother, good luck in your search.
Jo.Xx :hug:

Jo.Xx[/quote]

Just a thought, but is your brother's name Kennith spelt that way? It's usually Kenneth, maybe that's why you are having so much trouble?

Jo.Xx

Just a thought, but is your brother's name Kennith spelt that way? It's usually Kenneth, maybe that's why you are having so much trouble?[/quote]

Yes, his name is spelt Kennith, my elder sister's name is spelt different too as its spelt Debrah, thanks anyway.

Thankyou, that is some great advise, luckily i know that my eldest sister has kids and i know their birth dates etc, i shall get straight on that. Your an absolute gem.

Yes it is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack, it all just seems enormous and impossible.....but if lifes taught me anything its that nothing is impossible.

I hope you find your older brother, good luck in your search.

Hi, I'm glad you found the advise helpful, if you do run into any problems trying to find them in the indexes, then pm me the details and I shall have a look for you....note !! the free bmd indexes aren't complete, you need to look at the complete indexes.....www.ancestry.co.uk/com is a good site

Good luck :hug:

Latest posts

Back