Second hand sunbed ? should I?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tingle

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand sunshower.

I know nothing about them.

Do I need qualifications, licenses? what should I know before I launch myself into this?

I have been reading that they are not that popular any more but I do other things aswell.

Would you buy it?

Looking for ideas and some opinions really.

Thank you for all thoughts. Hope Ive put it in the right place :)

Lisa

I would check your insurance cos I reckon you will struggle to get insured or it will be v expensive. There is also the moral side of it...I wouldn't have one just for the reason it causes cancer but its a decision you have to make yourself. xx

sorry i dont know what a sunshower is, but u put sunbed in the post name...if its a spray tan machine thing then ignore what i sadi LOL

Last edited:
hi kimi

Yes it is a stand up sunbed.

I completely take your point about the moral angle and think it is something I should consider. Do I really want to be encouraging this?

Thank you for your reply.

I might phone my insurance company aswell just to see what they say.

Lisa

Hi,

I 'trained' with Helionova but you could join the the Sunbed Association as, I believe, they educate with the rules and regulations, make sure your operating the machines correctly and then issue certificates

You need to determine the condition of the tubes and when they're due to be replaced. It will cost between £500 to £1000 to replace them.

Also, find out how it's connected too the mains electrical supply. If it's a three phase machine you'll have to pay to have your electrics adapted.

hth
jes

My salon insurance is happy to cover mine but i seem to remember that was because i only had the one hth

I'm sure it must depend on what insurer you are with...I was refused insurance for my spray tanning because it is carcenogenic...apparently. Even had my tan supplier email them the list of ingredients and they still won't insure me for it. I ever had my insurance broker arguing with me about it because he thought you could breathe in fumes that would cause cancer and that is why they wouldn't insure me (cos on the data sheet it said you should wear gloves and a mask when applying it) LOL

Ended up now I have two lots of insurance until it comes to renewal time!!!

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I would just have the one if I did go ahead with it.

I have been told that the tubes have only had 53 hours of use. I thought that was good but I didnt realise it would cost that much to re do them.

will have to find out if it is three phase.

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated everyone

Lisa

omg so shocked about the insurance for spray tan !!

Tubes last around 800 hours, so yours are virtually brand new. You can tell if it's 3 phase by looking at the plug on the end, if it's not a 'normal' 13a three pin plug then it's probably 3 phase.

I had no trouble insuring my 2 beds with Salon Gold :).

What make and model is it? It's very likely you will be able to find the distributor/supplier for it and then you'll be able to get all the training and servicing (when needed) from them

Hi

Its a sunshower power tower 800.

I will go and see it and see what she says. Then I can look at the plug !

Thank you for all your help.

I have had a look at the sunbed association website too.

You have all been most helpful. Thank you.

Which insurance company won't insure spray tanning?!
I'm with BABTAC and there's no issue with them.

It was AXA. I went with them before we offered spray tan and because I was told to go through a broker to get my insurance in case I got something wrong. Now I will get mine through someone like BABTAC or Salon Gold. Was hilarious, the guy was trying to catch me out with it, trying to trip me up! He mustn't get spray tans done himself!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back