Second wedding, is cream color OK for a guest?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some second opinions. My mother in law (boyfriends mother) is getting married (second marriage) in a few months. I got hit with some rather large bills for my business this month so rather then go out and buy a new dress, i would like to use something from my closet. It's not a fancy event at all, very casual, and i found a dress in my closet that i love EXCEPT it's cream color. I'm not sure if this would be a bad thing to wear to a second wedding? My boyfriend said i should wear what i want. I'm thinking of asking my mother in law if shes ok with it. Shes very nice lady so i can talk to her with no problems. Do you think asking her would be wise? I don't know what to do :/ Unfortunately i don't have any other dresses in my closet that fit, this is the only one :/

Personally, I wouldn't wear cream or white to a wedding. But people do do it and don't think anything of it.
If I see someone wearing white/cream To a wedding I do think it's rude unless the bride was wearing a colour (which is rare)

Someone asked if they could wear white to my wedding and I said I didn't mind because I thought I was being petty but it did pee me off.
It's like an unwritten rule for me. Lol xx

If it's cream, can't you dye it?

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some second opinions. My mother in law (boyfriends mother) is getting married (second marriage) in a few months. I got hit with some rather large bills for my business this month so rather then go out and buy a new dress, i would like to use something from my closet. It's not a fancy event at all, very casual, and i found a dress in my closet that i love EXCEPT it's cream color. I'm not sure if this would be a bad thing to wear to a second wedding? My boyfriend said i should wear what i want. I'm thinking of asking my mother in law if shes ok with it. Shes very nice lady so i can talk to her with no problems. Do you think asking her would be wise? I don't know what to do :/ Unfortunately i don't have any other dresses in my closet that fit, this is the only one :/
I am baffled that people actually ask this stupid question??? It's someone wedding for gods sake,of all the colours in the whole rainbow can't you choose something else? This a complete NO NO on every level as far as I am concerned!!!

My mother in law is actually wearing a plain knee length dress that's mainly black. Its her second wedding and its nothing big. I wouldn't want to wear a cream color but if i could have saved money, it would have been nice. I just wanted opinions. I feel bad wearing off whites even if she's not wearing anything close.

I wouldn't want to dye the dress as I love it. I actually found a inexpensive dress in a store today so I'm pleased (and its not white lol). Just saw it in a window and wasn't expecting it to be so cheap!

Thank you for your opinions :)

If she's not wearing pale colours I'd ask if she'd be cool with it.
Why don't you ask friends if you can borrow their clothes?

Glad you managed to find something ....the fact that she isn't wearing cream or white would indicate to me that it would be fine to wear these colours you could jazz it up with coloured shoes and bag so as not to look too bridal....I would say the only way to know for sure is to ask her!....have a lovely time whatever you choose to wear x

Sorry, but its only Bridezillas that have a thing about guests not wearing white/cream to a wedding and all sorts of other precious nonsense.

Normal brides understand that the wedding is about getting together with friends and relatives to celebrate a special occasion. It's really not 'all about them'.

I'm certain that your mum-in-law wouldn't be remotely bothered what you wear as long as you're there sharing the day with her.

Sorry, but its only Bridezillas that have a thing about guests not wearing white/cream to a wedding and all sorts of other precious nonsense.

Normal brides understand that the wedding is about getting together with friends and relatives to celebrate a special occasion. It's really not 'all about them'.

I'm certain that your mum-in-law wouldn't be remotely bothered what you wear as long as you're there sharing the day with her.
A brides wedding day isn't all about them??? That's a ridiculous statement.A wedding day is a celebration of the BRIDE and GROOM nobody else. As the vicar declares 'we are gathered here today to celebrate the wedding of xxxx and xxxx. So I would say the bride has every right to feel special and the number one on that one day of her whole life. You can wear white any day of the year so I don't think it's unreasonable to refrain on someone's wedding day.

To me it's the equivalent of wanting a cake and presents at someone else's birthday party.

Then I was clearly a bridezilla [emoji48] lol

Think that makes me a bridezilla as well [emoji2]

?...As the vicar declares 'we are gathered here today to celebrate the wedding of xxxx and xxxx. .

Exactly that. It's about the joining of two people and their respective families and friends.

It's also an opportunity to play at being Princess for the day and wanting your guests to share the fun.

However, it quickly becomes Bridezilla-ish if you use it as an opportunity to be a diva to those people who have supported you through the years by making silly childish demands such as owning rights to a colour of clothing, lol.

In which case, you may as well go the whole hog and wear a crown and sit on a throne! :D

Cheeky chic and pink couture...I wasn't actually a Bridezilla but obviously expecting my wedding day to be about me and my husband getting married makes me one!! So I suppose I am in the Bridezilla club too haha xxx

If she's not wearing pale colours I'd ask if she'd be cool with it.
Why don't you ask friends if you can borrow their clothes?

Unfortunately all my friends are thin, sadly not the case with me :( :p

I'm still going to ask her as now i'm just curious what she would say. Knowing her it will be wear what you feel comfortable in, as long as you are there i'm happy.

Personally, i think that the first wedding is a bigger deal but when your at your second wedding and your in your early 50's, as long as family and friends are there you don't really mind what people will be wearing. This is why i asked as a first wedding i would never consider white or off whites, but since this is a second wedding i thought i would ask what people think :)

I'm still going to ask her as now i'm just curious what she would say. Knowing her it will be wear what you feel comfortable in, as long as you are there i'm happy.

Personally, i think that the first wedding is a bigger deal but when your at your second wedding and your in your early 50's, as long as family and friends are there you don't really mind what people will be wearing. This is why i asked as a first wedding i would never consider white or off whites, but since this is a second wedding i thought i would ask what people think :)
Let us know what she would have said [emoji3]

Let us know what she would have said [emoji3]
She actually said she wouldn't mind at all and I should have worn the cream dress because she didn't want anyone to spend money for a "basic" wedding. The type of person she is I know its genuine, she can't hide her feelings.

It's Always hard to know what to wear to weddings my other half mum would be the same , at least your sorted [emoji6] x

I'd have said wear the cream dress but jazz it up with coloured accessories that can be found cheaply to show your a guest. Glad you found a nice dress at a good price but I've worn white & cream to friends weddings (their first and only weddings) but always added colour to my outfits and not one of them has been bothered or upset (& yes I would know if they were upset about it as I know them well and the truth always comes out when you have a few bevvies together lol). Although a wedding is about the bride, groom and their family it is a day where it feels inappropriate to wear black (as that's for funerals) and I have not been an all out bright colour or massive pattern kind of person (although my taste is changing as I'm getting older).

I don't see anything wrong with wearing white/cream. It's not like your wearing a white wedding gown trying to outshine the bride!!

Latest posts

Back