Self contained in a salon, subletting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
Ok so I currently rent a space (nail desk and room) at a salon and I've been here for 2 years now. The owner (who is a good friend of mine) has decided she will be leaving May next year and we spoke about me potentially having the salon from her. She's propositioned me this morning and I'm a little bit lost about what to do.

She's proposing that I have a section of the salon as my own, self contained part, I can redecorate it, I already have keys so I will be allowed to open and close when I want and I have the option of renting out the two spare rooms and all she's asking from me is £75 a week! It's a win win in a such as she gets £75 a week and I get to "try before I buy" so to speak. I'm just not convinced that it would work...a salon within a salon? Two different uniforms, different levels of services etc offered? Won't it be confusing for clients? Two reception desks?

She said I am welcome to put up signage etc too and she says it offers me the chance to see if I can make it work my way for a year before she leaves and if it goes well then we both know I'd be good to take on the new lease.

Any thoughts on this please?!?! Could this work?

I don't know how well it would work but it sounds pretty cool.

Oh actually! When I lived in England I went to this dance club. It was actually a club within a club! 1 building 2 different names, 2 TOTALLY different feels and 2 different age limits but you could access one from the other within the building. It was VERY cool. It was totally a THING.

So if you really work on making its THING. 1 building. 2 spas. Embrace the fact that yes that's what's up. 2 spas people! Then I think it could be really unique and awesome. Not easy, but VERY cool.

I'm confused, she is offering you part of her salon with 2 beauty rooms for £75 a week? What is happening to the other part? Who has that and what's in it?

If the other part of the salon is rented out to someone else, how will the bills work?

Why would you need 2 reception desks and 2 different uniforms ?

Sorry for being thick, but I can't quite get my head around what is being offered and to whom x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395155104.813098.jpgthis is the salon. As you can see it's quite big and the space is taken up mainly by the beds and the two nail stations towards the back. At the back there are 3 rooms. I have one, she has one and there's a spare. She's offering me part of the salon I.e section it off somehow or completely transform the larger (spare room) into mine and rent out the other room. I pay her £75 a week for the two rooms and this includes everything from cups of coffee to washing towels/heating etc but I already supply my own products.

She's saying it's a try before you buy type offer so I can market that section as my own business (salon within her salon) completely self contained and redecorated in my style not her current style. She doesn't wear a uniform and I although I did our clients started saying it was misleading as they thought we were ONE business and why do we do things differently and dress differently.

Hope that all makes sense?

I don't know how affective this might be though especially as I'd effectively be a business renting out of another business :-S

Oh yeah sorry and she will continue to do her treatments in the rest of the salon.

Hi, it sounds like a good offer in terms of rent and the fact that you sound like you get on well however it does throw up a few flags for me...
you say she will continue her own treatments? are they the same as you offer? if so why would you want to go up against each other?
if a walk in comes in who gets it? if they phone in who gets it? if youre running your own business she wont be obliged to 'pass' you any bookings
The salon looks large- yet the room at the back sounds like a better idea so you have your own private space for your own private work.

I would give it some consideration as to why she would allow this also. Is she struggling? does she want to take a step back? will you both work different days etc? will treatments clash? will customers 'belong' to either of you?

On the positive side if you have a healthy client base then it would be nice to have your own large room for that price! if they know you as being there al;ready you could build on that. It might get you extra work being there but have some really clear guidelines before you start - she might be your 'friend' now but things can very quickly turn very sour when it comes to business! Good luck tho!

Ahhhhh Ok, now it makes sense, sorry I was totally lost there haha,

Right, in the main entrance will there be a door or a partition to you? If so, it could work, your name on your door, they enter to your reception and your salon.

If not, your clients will still walk through the joint area to your salon, I guess it's no different to my therapists walking their clients through my salon to their room

I think you could do it with some careful planning on space :D

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back