Self employed advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poshpinks23

Reaction score
So I previously posted about being except from wearing a mask and that I went through the right channels to find out the rules around this first I went to the nh&bf they told me to contact my local department of health & safety and they have gotten back to me to say I can wear one. Now I have told the owners of the salon that I rent a chair from all of this and now they are saying they have to look into there safety stuff but im confused as to who they can go to as I have followed all the correct avenues to get this information so who can they contact that I haven't?

No idea, just ask them who they are going to contact

Yeah, im just so upset that I have gone through the correct departments to get the information and for them to question it. Being self-employed I shouldn't have to even tell them really .

Yeah, im just so upset that I have gone through the correct departments to get the information and for them to question it. Being self-employed I shouldn't have to even tell them really .

Not sure what the underlying issue is? What's the problem with them getting information themselves and you both sharing your findings for a solution that works for both of you?

I asked on a different thread if there were other issues with your landlord??

There isn't any problem with them getting any info I just don't know where they would get any more for as I went through the channels they normally would. Yes, there have been many issues with the owners of the salon they are not very good at separating that I am self-employed and renting space from them .

As a salon owner they will need to consider the health and safety implications of an unmasked, close contact services provider and their clients sharing premises with other staff members and clients. They will also need to think about business and PR implications and equality legislation implications.

Speaking as a salon owner, I have vulnerable staff members and clients to whom I have a duty of care as well as statutory obligations. It’s not straightforward as it’s not just about you and your rights.

Personally I would probably conclude that I didn’t want to have non masked personnel on site. I’m a qualified insurance broker as well as a salon owner and I’m returning to insurance soon as a second string to my bow. I’d advise a salon owner to make their own decision but I’d support any client who wanted to discard a tenant in this situation. Their overall risk assessment would trump your rights.

Even if I have spoken to the local authority that doesn't seem right really .

As a salon owner they will need to consider the health and safety implications of an unmasked, close contact services provider and their clients sharing premises with other staff members and clients. They will also need to think about business and PR implications and equality legislation implications.

Speaking as a salon owner, I have vulnerable staff members and clients to whom I have a duty of care as well as statutory obligations. It’s not straightforward as it’s not just about you and your rights.

Personally I would probably conclude that I didn’t want to have non masked personnel on site. I’m a qualified insurance broker as well as a salon owner and I’m returning to insurance soon as a second string to my bow. I’d advise a salon owner to make their own decision but I’d support any client who wanted to discard a tenant in this situation. Their overall risk assessment would trump your rights.

This is why as soon as I finish my nail tech course, I will be the salon owner. No one's going to tell me what I can and cannot do as long as the laws say it's safe. I would rent space elsewhere.

That's what I'm going to do look for my own space so no one can tell me what's what x

Even if I have spoken to the local authority that doesn't seem right really .
Yes! You can’t manage your Landlord’s business for them anymore than you want them to manage yours!

The hairdressers down the road from us have had 5 spot checks from the council, one time the person tried to come in without a mask and they stopped them saying you need to wear one, the person said I don't have one, so they gave one to them. They then said its lucky they did that as it would have been a £10,000 on the spot fine.
You may feel the salon is being difficult but they are the ones running the risk of a huge fine. They maybe just wanting to get confirmation themselves from the council so they do not get in trouble.

Latest posts

Back