Self employed and last minute cancellations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie.st

Reaction score
Hi!
Was just wondering how you all deal with the dreaded last minute colour cancellations. I've just had a text from tomorrow's first client (full foils, cut and finish) to say she can't make it as she has double booked and is going to her friends dress fitting! I've reminded her of my cancellation policy which states, apart from in the case of illness or emergency any technical service cancelled without 48 hours notice will incur a £25 cancellation fee.
She has really taken offence to this and I do feel bad, but as I am self employed, 31 weeks pregnant and about to go on maternity leave (which as we know means a major drop in finances) I can't afford to have hours with no clients.
If I manage to fill the slot then I don't charge, but at this late notice it seems unlikely.

Was just wondering how you deal with this?

Do you expect her to pay £25 even if she isn't getting her hair done?

I think £25 is a little steep to pay, this does sound like a genuine mistake, also think about it would you rather she paid the £25 and never came back, or she rebooked continued to come to you and possibly got you more clients through word of mouth. I can't understand that it is really frustrating though hopefully you'll get the space filled xx

It is, why would she pay £25 to you when she can put a bit to it and get her hair done elsewhere? I hate when hairdressers threaten you with a cancellation fee, as if you're going to pay it lol.

Definitely enforce your cancellation policy. You're running a business not a drop in centre.

If you were an accountant, lawyer or dentist, you'd expect to pay a cancellation fee if you missed your appointment. Why should a hairdresser be any different?

You could have rebooked another client in that slot and earnt some money. Chances are your client is employed and gets paid a salary regardless of how much work she does. It probably didn't occur to her that by not informing you of her other engagement, she is actually being very selfish.

Unfortunately, if you don't earn, you don't eat. Simple economics!

I think she should personally... losing out alot of money... which is your rent and food.. because someone cant get organised. I remember someone cancelled their appointment with me.ten mins before because she spent her money on clothes... pfft

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

If you enforce it, all it will do is teach your clients to lie. Next time (should there be one) she will tell you she is ill. Then what?

Unfortunately, dentists and doctors can enforce it as it's harder to get in with someone else. Supply and demand. It's called life, I'm afraid.

If you enforce it, all it will do is teach your clients to lie. Next time (should there be one) she will tell you she is ill. Then what?

Unfortunately, dentists and doctors can enforce it as it's harder to get in with someone else. Supply and demand. It's called life, I'm afraid.

True....

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I do beauty and since January to book an appointment with me I charge 50% at time of booking this is due to the amount of ££ I lost yet again the day before NY eve. I explained this when implementing the policy and no one has been funny about it. If you give more than 48 notice it goes over to your next appt but if you either don't turn up, cancel last minute or cancel treatments at appointment then it's still charged at full rate of time of booking as by this point I've forked out for childcare, diesel and I'm left like a lemon and can't fill the time!

I think you'll find it difficult getting the ££ after the occasion as like others have said she'll probably just go else where.

It boils down to how much you need the client. I agree that in the future they may just lie!

I have a cancellation policy. I rarely implement it but I also have clients who volunteer to pay which is great.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Its very hard enforcing a cancellation policy.

The only thing would be to take deposits on consultation to secure their booking.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agreed, if you have a cancellation policy you should enforce it, if you had 'double bkd' her would she be happy?

We are far too lenient with regards cancellations and im afraid that now its rare that i dont enforce mine, after all it is my livelihood and i put the policy in place for this very reason.

I'd just thank my lucky stars they rang to say they wernt coming! At least then you can offer someone else the appointment, my clients just don't bother to turn up or let me know!

Definitely enforce your cancellation policy. You're running a business not a drop in centre.

If you were an accountant, lawyer or dentist, you'd expect to pay a cancellation fee if you missed your appointment. Why should a hairdresser be any different?

You could have rebooked another client in that slot and earnt some money. Chances are your client is employed and gets paid a salary regardless of how much work she does. It probably didn't occur to her that by not informing you of her other engagement, she is actually being very selfish.

Unfortunately, if you don't earn, you don't eat. Simple economics!

Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to be careful about this. I'm self employed and I don't have a cancellation policy. If someone cancels I just give my time to another job such as marketing or updating my website etc.
This week I've been really I'll and had to cancel a couple of clients, luckily they have both cancelled on me at short notice in the past. If I had charged them for that I think they would have been upset by me cancelling. I'm glad I didn't charge them, they were both great and have rebooked for later in the week when I'm better. Hope this helps. Xx

I'm self employed as well, and have never charged a cancelation fee. I don't ever book myself a lunch break, so on the odd occasion i get a cancelation I justify it by using the time smartly.
Sometimes it really hurts to lose the business, but i also let other clients know that I'll let them know if something comes up earlier for them, and that has worked as well.
The only policy i have is 3 strikes and you're out. 3 cancelation calls, or 3 excessively late calls and i don't rebook them.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree it's unfair on us when clients do this but also clients will tell lies too get away with it so what I do is tell them they have 3 chances within the year too cancel with less than 24 hrs notice after that all future appointments must be paid in advance and are non refundable if less than 24 hrs notice is given. I don't get nearly half as many as used too now, infact hardly any giving 3 chances takes into account emergencys or illness I think xxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm self employed as well, and have never charged a cancelation fee. I don't ever book myself a lunch break, so on the odd occasion i get a cancelation I justify it by using the time smartly.
Sometimes it really hurts to lose the business, but i also let other clients know that I'll let them know if something comes up earlier for them, and that has worked as well.
The only policy i have is 3 strikes and you're out. 3 cancelation calls, or 3 excessively late calls and i don't rebook them.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

I do this too. There is always something that I can get on with so it's not really lost time. I tend not to have those type of clients that cancel short notice. The three strikes rule is fair.

Id take deposits for important dates eg Christmas week. Also any appointments that are going to take a lot of time or gonna lose you a lot of money if they don't turn up. It depends on the customers really.

Hi folks I've been having a read through these posts and noticed your all at one time and another having issues with last minute cancelations or even worse no shows, I'm not trying any sort of hard sell here so please don't think I am, I'm from a company called Ovatu, we provide software for hair and beauty salons, but what's more is that of your mobile you can run the software on your phone, the system will help you keep on track with your diary but also send e-mail reminders, there is a facility for your clients to book online and pay deposits upon booking their appointment, if you want to take a quick look we do run a 30 day free trial and no contracts so if it's not for you it's easy to cancel the web address is www.ovatu.com

Latest posts

Back