Self Employed Contract

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy666

Reaction score
Hi We are in the process of looking for new Self Employed staff and im in need of a contract to cover us and them, does anyone have one or know where i could get one from, even if you don't have it in word format even a scan will do as I’ll type it up.

Thanks ever so for your help.

Regards

Jim

Email to [email protected]

Hi We are in the process of looking for new Self Employed staff and im in need of a contract to cover us and them, does anyone have one or know where i could get one from, even if you don't have it in word format even a scan will do as I’ll type it up.

Thanks ever so for your help.

Regards

Jim

Email to [email protected]

They really are not worth the paper they are written on. Half the stuff you find in them is deemed unfair, likewise anything you may put in them. To get one really watertight you'll need to get a Solicitor to draw you one up and it'll need to be pukka, do not leave anything out.

Hi Jim

as explained, its going to be important to get it right- not just for the obvious reasons but also for people like the Revenue- the difference between employed and self-employed is a real hot potato, with two cases on chair rental going through at the mo...

The NHF have a contract you can download if you are a member?

I'm confused if they are self employed what would you want in the contract to make it so complex? Being self employed (as defined by HM revenue and customs) means they can "decide what work to do, how and when to do the work" so what are you trying to make sure they do? is it just to make sure they pay you what you are owed for the space? :hug:

Quote "The main elements of a valid contract of service (employment), or a contract for services (self-employment), are:

the intention to enter into legal relations
an offer (usually of work) and its acceptance (an agreement)
consideration (for example, in return for performing work the worker receives payment)."

If they choose their work hours, pay for their own equipment, own their clients, pay their own tax and national insurance they are self employed.

If you pay them and they work when you want them to on your clients and you deduct their national insurance and tax from their pay then they are employed.

HM Revenue & Customs: Employment status

What's confusing you? :hug:

It says on the website that "Our Status Inspectors may be able to express an opinion on employment status" maybe you should contact them before working out what type of contract you need before contacting your solicitor to get it right.

Last edited:
for me the point of any contract is to set terms that the salon can rely on because, you are right, in principle a self employed person can come and go as they please but then that potentially leaves a salon exposed with empty chairs/ rooms or disgruntled clients which has a knock on effect on the image of the salon.

The contracts we use establish ground rules if you like (not least payment!) to avoid abuse really. Examples are,

1. payment
2. rules of conduct/ dress
3. placing on record the tax implications
4. termination
5. non-compete/ solicitation
6. acting with reasonable care and skill

Latest posts

Back