Self employed dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonio

Reaction score
HELLO to all of you and I hope you could help me.
I'm looking for a part time job 2-3 days and do some clients home the rest of the week.
One salon manager said that I can choose between: 60% for me 40% him (I provide my own products) OR £60 - £80 a day rent.
I made few calculations and seems that if I'll be busy is better pay the rent x day rather then percentage... If I won't be busy then is better the 60%
NOW... by your experience....what is better from your point of view and why?
Thanx a lot
Antonio

£60-80 seems a lot per day :(

HELLO to all of you and I hope you could help me.
I'm looking for a part time job 2-3 days and do some clients home the rest of the week.
One salon manager said that I can choose between: 60% for me 40% him (I provide my own products) OR £60 - £80 a day rent.
I made few calculations and seems that if I'll be busy is better pay the rent x day rather then percentage... If I won't be busy then is better the 60%
NOW... by your experience....what is better from your point of view and why?
Thanx a lot
Antonio

Hi. I work on 60/40 split. It was really good when I started out at first as I was new, no client base and in the beginning I was getting just 1 client a month or so so you can imagine it was worth it for me know I didn't have to pay if I had no work. That was nearly three years ago. Now I am working full time with full appointment book. Actually I seem to be the busiest one at the salon - there are three of us working here. The percentage I pay now cover rent for the WHOLE salon, plus the hairdressers wages ... Sometimes even the whole salons electricity bill as well ... I'll be honest, I'm actually dreading the deal I have and even tho I've spoken to the owner a number of times there's no way she'll budge as shell be at a loss. Which means I'm llooking at my options now ... It's your call. The % is handy when you've no client base but in my case it's become a curse over time. Plus make sure you have a proper contract in WRITTEN form as suddenly you'll be hit with surprise charges once you get busy.

Hth x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

£60-80 seems a lot per day :(

I thought that too :/
Antonio, are you in a very high end salon? How many wash,cut & finishes will you need to do to make your daily chair rental?

Hi ... thank you for the quick reply.
The salon charge haircut between £40-£50
Colours 1/2 High lights £55, Full £70
I'll start part time.
I don't think I'll be there forever, is just a slow start after some health issues I had. Now I'm quite ok but I cannot work full time yet.
He said that I can organize myself as I want... do my advertising an use his salon and on my hours...I mean seem that suit my needs at the moment.
I was wandering by your experience what is best.
Definetly a contract...thanx for the tips.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back