Self employed & Facebook

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam McIlroy

Reaction score
A bit of a strange one...

Our S/E Nail Technician left and we brought in a new one. After two months she has contacted me to request that all her work is removed from our Facebook page as she is no longer there.

Although these are all old posts, I tried to delete the photos of her work. However, as these were attached to Paid Ads, I cannot do this. I would need to go through every single post we done for her via our timeline (the majority of these would be paid ads). However as the posts have been boosted they can not be edited and it would mean removing the actual posts from the timeline, so the content as well as photo would be removed.

As we use Facebook advertising about 5x a week, we gave S/E the option of us also advertising their services by contributing to the FB advertising, generally £5 per week, and they provided examples of work carried out within the Salon for us to use on the posts.

Now I had no issue with removing her work as I thought it would just be a case of deleting her photos. But I am not comfortable with us deleting a large number of posts which would have had advertisements/details of other work we have carried out within it.

Am I ok to go back and explain this? I'm not sure where we stand as she gave permission to use the photos (can she later change her mind) and also contributed to the advertising. Just to clarify we have not used any of her work to promote services on any posts since she left.

Oh, this is a tricky one! Is it possible that you can ask Citizen's Advice Bureau? I would think since she gave you permission to use her work, and another thing...she would have benefited already from those paid ads you did on her pics! I would think she is on very thin ice. Keep us posted!

Oh, this is a tricky one! Is it possible that you can ask Citizen's Advice Bureau? I would think since she gave you permission to use her work, and another thing...she would have benefited already from those paid ads you did on her pics! I would think she is on very thin ice. Keep us posted!

Thanks. Might double check with Citizen's Advice. I had to threaten the same person with Small Claims Court after she refused to pay last rental because she couldn't get access on Christmas/New Year... Which she would have had she asked...

Ah, I see. Looks like she has a bit of a pattern, eh?

Thanks. Might double check with Citizen's Advice. I had to threaten the same person with Small Claims Court after she refused to pay last rental because she couldn't get access on Christmas/New Year... Which she would have had she asked...

I know you dont want to delete the whole ad, but is there any point in keeping it on your timeline?

My understanding of the ads (ive only run very few- few pounds worth so you will prob have a better understanding of them) is that they are only active (ie being promoted) for the timescale you pick. After that they might sit on your timeline, but realistically they dont get seen by anyone unless they are scrolling through your timeline (and even then fb hides a lot of old posts!)

Do you still get any one interacting with the old ads or booking because of them? (Im genuinely intersted as id like to know how they work <3 )

I know you dont want to remove the whole thing, but if theres no benefit to keeping them it might just be easier to, least its then done & dusted. Xx

Who took the photographs? If you did, they are your images.

If she took them and gave them to you to be used on the salon Facebook account for the purpose of a paid advertising campaign, I don't see how she can change her mind after they've been used.

Can you not just explain to her that it would mean removing all posts and it isn't feasible but you are happy to add a comment to each post saying, please note the nails displayed in the post are a former technicians work. Hopefully a compromise may keep her satisfied.

I know you dont want to delete the whole ad, but is there any point in keeping it on your timeline?

My understanding of the ads (ive only run very few- few pounds worth so you will prob have a better understanding of them) is that they are only active (ie being promoted) for the timescale you pick. After that they might sit on your timeline, but realistically they dont get seen by anyone unless they are scrolling through your timeline (and even then fb hides a lot of old posts!)

Do you still get any one interacting with the old ads or booking because of them? (Im genuinely intersted as id like to know how they work <3 )

I know you dont want to remove the whole thing, but if theres no benefit to keeping them it might just be easier to, least its then done & dusted. Xx

You're correct, nobody really interacts with the older posts. You get the occasional visitor that likes every photo in your entire album but apart from that.

It's more the time consuming aspect of it, that and sometimes there would maybe be a hair picture and a nail picture I've combined the two which would mean losing the hair picture as well.

Who took the photographs? If you did, they are your images.

If she took them and gave them to you to be used on the salon Facebook account for the purpose of a paid advertising campaign, I don't see how she can change her mind after they've been used.

You're second paragraph was my view on it, it just seemed like a strange request a few months after she left... I would mind doing it if it was just the pictures but to scroll through every single post is just going to take too much time.

Can you not just explain to her that it would mean removing all posts and it isn't feasible but you are happy to add a comment to each post saying, please note the nails displayed in the post are a former technicians work. Hopefully a compromise may keep her satisfied.

Good idea thanks, the only thing would be everyone that has liked it would get a notification of a comment saying the Nail Technician has left, I don't know how well that would reflect on us.

No, not if it is a business page.

Hi all can I butt into this thread and ask your advice please?

I've left my old salon due to bullying and have now gone on to rent a chair. I have taken quite a few pictures of my work in my old work place for my own portfolio. They are stalking my every move now!
They are also sending threatening messages saying I cannot do this as it's they're premises and I was employed by them at the time.
I am of course using these to advertise my work it's 5 years worth!
I never got a contract and really not sure what I should do from here..... I knew it would get messy, but I'm not sure what to expect.
Any advice would be great [emoji8]

This sounds quite harassing, really. They would have a very hard time explaining WHY you can't share your own work. If the salon logo isn't showing and it's not obvious which salon you took the pictures at, then I don't think they have a leg to stand on. I am really sorry to hear you are going through this. Sounds like you've picked yourself up and gotten on with your career.

Others will have input I am sure as well.

Hi all can I butt into this thread and ask your advice please?

I've left my old salon due to bullying and have now gone on to rent a chair. I have taken quite a few pictures of my work in my old work place for my own portfolio. They are stalking my every move now!
They are also sending threatening messages saying I cannot do this as it's they're premises and I was employed by them at the time.
I am of course using these to advertise my work it's 5 years worth!
I never got a contract and really not sure what I should do from here..... I knew it would get messy, but I'm not sure what to expect.
Any advice would be great [emoji8]

All the work you do in your working hours wether you took the picture or employer, it is employers property. You did get paid for the skill and time to do it. That's how I see it :( it is a shame that people just can't move on and do their own thing and concentrate on themselves...

The following only applies if you were employed by the Salon and it's irrelevant whether you were given a contract.

The legal term is 'Intellectual Property Rights' and if you were employed by the salon, every cut, colour, hair up that you did whilst in work, belongs to them 100%.

You can't take photographs and call it 'your work' because legally, it doesn't belong to you.

If they decide to instigate legal action against you, you will lose and besides being told to stop using those images, you will probably be required to pay them an amount in compensation.

My advice is to delete all the images and start building yourself a new portfolio.

I've actually looked into this and thankfully I'm ok and within my rights. As these were taken on my camera, and I got permission from the client to use them!

I wish we could just move on to be honest! They made my life hell, enough to vow never to work for anyone ever again, I I was so stressed it even made me miscarry! And I just know they are not done with me yet!

If you were employed when you took the images, whoever has advised you that's it's ok for you to use them without the express permission of the Salon owner, is wrong.

It's very clear in law.

Really?......
I spoke to a solicitor [emoji30]

My two pennies worth is : you should be keeping your social media up dated constantly and at no time have so many old and irrelevant posts that you literally can't go through all of them.
If you have new specials or price list you need to delete your old specials and price lists.
If you not prepared to then don't use social media.

My two pennies worth is : you should be keeping your social media up dated constantly and at no time have so many old and irrelevant posts that you literally can't go through all of them.
If you have new specials or price list you need to delete your old specials and price lists.
If you not prepared to then don't use social media.

???
Who deletes old posts?

If I look on a page that only has a few posts i make assumptions.

Either they have only just started, or they don't really post much etc.

I disagree with this totally.

Latest posts

Back