Self employed problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeloodallas

Reaction score
I posted here a while ago (unfortunately to no response) and things are worse than ever.
I'm self employed splitting my earnings 50/50. I supply my colours but the salon supplies peroxide and foil (though they frequently run out so I've started buying my own for back up) and shampoo and styling products.
I'm frequently getting into "trouble" for not wanting to adhere to rules that I don't think I should have to stick by as I'm not employed. We have to stick to set working hours, dress codes, limited holiday times, and recently I've been told to stop trying different colour products (we all use L'Oréal, but I've been trying different ranges in direct dyes and introduced olaplex to my clients), and now we're not supposed to be taking our own bills and have to let their employed assistants do it all for us. I was told a while ago that if I charge less than the salons price list that I'd have to make up for the salons "loss" for the bill.
He's often getting involved with client come backs (I like to do follow up applications after big colour changes/neons/pastels) and I don't think it should be any of his business especially as my clients are more than happy with my work.
I can understand it all to a degree, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated that I have no freedom as a self employed stylist. If I try to discuss it it becomes a huge argument.
There are three other self employed stylists, one other girl who's under the same restraints as me and two older male stylists who seem to have a lot more freedom and a fairly secretive payment agreement.
I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking for other than some insurance that I shouldn't be putting up with this sort of treatment and give me the kick I need to move on :(
Thank you to anyone who's read my massive essay!!!

Run quick!! This is not being self employed, the salon owner has blurred the lines completely and the inland revenue would class you as employed - yet your not really getting paid.
Self employment is exactly that:
You take your own payment
You work your own hours
You keep your clients details
You deal with your complaints/appointments
You take your holidays whenever you want
You wear what you want
You give the salon the % at the end of the week/month not the other way around
You provide your own products completely or the salon provides them all.

It sounds like they don't want the legality of employing and having to pay wages.
I would look else where or go freelance and take your clients with you.

Thank you!
It is exactly that, I was originally employed but they couldn't afford to keep on any of their employed stylists so some left and some went self employed. I understand there's always a weird adjustment period but it's gotten worse over the last couple of years and I'm honestly getting depressed and anxious about going to work now.

I would stay there. Really you employed without the Benefits of it but all the negatives!!
In land revenue would see you as employed, do you have a contract?

I would stay there. Really you employed without the Benefits of it but all the negatives!!
In land revenue would see you as employed, do you have a contract?
We signed a basic contract recently that I think actually states all the things I've covered but he thinks were different because that's just the way the shop works...

Leave and find somewhere else

I posted here a while ago (unfortunately to no response) and things are worse than ever.
I'm self employed splitting my earnings 50/50. I supply my colours but the salon supplies peroxide and foil (though they frequently run out so I've started buying my own for back up) and shampoo and styling products.
I'm frequently getting into "trouble" for not wanting to adhere to rules that I don't think I should have to stick by as I'm not employed. We have to stick to set working hours, dress codes, limited holiday times, and recently I've been told to stop trying different colour products (we all use L'Oréal, but I've been trying different ranges in direct dyes and introduced olaplex to my clients), and now we're not supposed to be taking our own bills and have to let their employed assistants do it all for us. I was told a while ago that if I charge less than the salons price list that I'd have to make up for the salons "loss" for the bill.
He's often getting involved with client come backs (I like to do follow up applications after big colour changes/neons/pastels) and I don't think it should be any of his business especially as my clients are more than happy with my work.
I can understand it all to a degree, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated that I have no freedom as a self employed stylist. If I try to discuss it it becomes a huge argument.
There are three other self employed stylists, one other girl who's under the same restraints as me and two older male stylists who seem to have a lot more freedom and a fairly secretive payment agreement.
I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking for other than some insurance that I shouldn't be putting up with this sort of treatment and give me the kick I need to move on :(
One word... LEAVE !! I'm sure you can find another salon that will suit you better. Life is too short to feel stressed everyday.

You should leave, it sounds very unfair, good luck [emoji4]

Omg Get out..... Straight away lovely! The benefits of being self employed are being gradually taken away from you and what are you doing?.... Youre making him more money for less overheads! Exactly why he is probably swimming in your profits!
Contact all of your clients immediately and tell them you are unhappy and looking to leave! Look for somewhere else and as he will probably going to take your clients contact details ask them to sign a consent or note to say that he is not able to contact them as the details are your property not his to use! Good luck xxxxx

Get your stuff and clear out pronto! ! You are your own boss you don't work for him. You just rent a chair. You are losing money and he's making it. Not on. Go home and contact all your clients and tell them you will be working mobile for a bit til you get sorted.

This sounds exactly like me!
I don't get why some salon owners don't understand self employment.
They think you are still an employee.

I was told what days/times to work, what services I should be doing, when I could and couldn't go home and that was just the tip of the iceberg and I was paying a hefty amount for the privilege.
I'm not a confident person so I don't tend to fight my corner either and when I did all hell let loose!

The best thing for you to do is get out of there and find a good salon that understands you and your needs and most of all what self employment actually is.
Good luck x

Thank you everyone! I hadn't gotten any notifications for the last few posts so I hadn't seen them until now.
It's funny how people can make you doubt yourself, I'm purely asking that things be done as they should be- legally speaking- and it's nice to hear I'm not wrong from other professionals!

The salon owner want to treat you as an employee without having to actually pay ypu a set wage. so when you dont earn its not for him to pay you.
If i was you i would approach him and say "This isnt working out the way i had hoped, i would like to go to a set rent (£20 per day seems to be the going rate) or i will be looking for another salon to work in"
It dosnt seem fair that he is setting you rules. I do rent a chaIr, i supply my own stock, pay my own insurance and take my own bookings, the best think ive ever done! The woman i rent from is fab, we use different ranges etc i pay rent per day for set days and she has said if i get in a 8am and leave at 8pm (i dont) its entirely up to me. One week i was quiet and just kept popping in to do the clients i had in the leaving, shes not interested in what i do as long as i pay my money.

The salon owner want to treat you as an employee without having to actually pay ypu a set wage. so when you dont earn its not for him to pay you.
If i was you i would approach him and say "This isnt working out the way i had hoped, i would like to go to a set rent (£20 per day seems to be the going rate) or i will be looking for another salon to work in"
It dosnt seem fair that he is setting you rules. I do rent a chaIr, i supply my own stock, pay my own insurance and take my own bookings, the best think ive ever done! The woman i rent from is fab, we use different ranges etc i pay rent per day for set days and she has said if i get in a 8am and leave at 8pm (i dont) its entirely up to me. One week i was quiet and just kept popping in to do the clients i had in the leaving, shes not interested in what i do as long as i pay my money.

This is the same as me! We have a great buisness relationship and if either of us run out of colour we borrow it from the other and just replace it! I would have a set plan before you call a meeting as to be honest he sounds like a bully and from experience of being around this behaviour I doubt he will let you get what you want (the correct working arrangements) without a struggle! Good luck and report back! Xxx

This is the same as me! We have a great buisness relationship and if either of us run out of colour we borrow it from the other and just replace it! I would have a set plan before you call a meeting as to be honest he sounds like a bully and from experience of being around this behaviour I doubt he will let you get what you want (the correct working arrangements) without a struggle! Good luck and report back! Xxx
We do this too (borrow stock etc) I wouldn't want to work any other way xx

I was in the exact same position you were in except i was booth renting as a makeup artist when i was interviewed the woman who owned the shop was asking me if i could copy some drag looks and do them on my clients! My clients are normally over 30 so in no way would those crazy looks be to there tastes! Another thing she wanted me to do was wear a black top with her stupid shops name on it and tried to tell me my prices were too high! She also wanted my makeup storage to match her shop decor lol and told me to have nails on all the time and not to wear dresses. One day she texted me telling me what to do and i LOST it at her i told her she had no right to interfere with my makeup or how i do looks on my clients as shes not the makeup artist and that she is not my boss so she had no right in texting me laying down the law and that she gets her rent and she minds her buisness unless she wants a makeup :mad::oops: she then went on to insult me so i told her to shove her position what a cocky cow she was. I found a booth to rent elsewhere in a salon with lovely lovely girls there. Self employed means you are nothing to do with the shop you are in you are strictly your own boss and your own buisness you take breaks when you want you wear your own clothes and dont have to answer to anyone only your clients :) looks like that guy u were renting off had no idea what being self employed means and was just a control freak like that woman i rented off. Keep looking for another booth theres always loads

Latest posts

Back