Self employed stylist UK

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
I'm in the UK and want to know what I am supposed to do legally about getting a self employed stylist in.

Most salons around me for 50/50. And it varies whether the salon or stylist supplies products/equipment.

However, I've heard that you need to charge a rent for the chair to show that the stylist can make a loss as well as a profit.

I would want to provide the colours and styling products myself.
I would want the stylist to give me days and times they hope to work and keep to them as close as possible (even if they haven't got clients).
I would expect the stylist to do cleaning and tidying, such as clean mirrors and mop the floor. I would take home towels.

I fulfilled these tasks as a self employed stylist but am I expecting too much of other people?

Please give me your advice. Thanks in advance.

Yes, legally you are expecting too much.

Ok its not to say you wont find someone with the same work ethic as you, its just you wont have a leg to stand on if you wanted to enforce such things.

The main one, which I personally wouldn't be sticking to being Self employed would be set days/hours staying there even if there was no clients.

Why should they stay there, not earning a penny? If you was employing yes you expect them there busy or not.

Im self employed I manage my own diary/clients & I choose my hours/days on a weekly basis to suit myself, family & clients. Depending on what I have planned etc. I appreciate my free time, and if Ive got a spare slot I may decide to go and do my shopping, and I can as I am my own boss.

Self employed should have the ability to:

-choose their own hours/days (leave early, cancel clients, be off as much or as little as they like)

- set their own pricelists (they could choose to undercut you, or charge more, you have no say)

- take their own payments (and they are responsible for paying you your share, you cant take their payments minus your share & pay them)

- choose their own uniform (or to not wear one)

-responsible for their own advertising

-responsible for their own insurance

- responsible for their own diary/clients/record cards.

In return, they get no holiday pay, possibly earn nothing some weeks, but no one telling them what they can and cant do.

All you do, or NEED to do... Is provide a space, for them to run their own business (under your roof) in return for the rent each week. Be it half of their takings, or a set agreed amount.

If you want more of a say, in hours, prices, all the things Ive mentioned above... You need to employ someone. But then you keep control of your business & your not giving away 50%.

Xx

Latest posts

Back