Self Employed working in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxed

Reaction score
Hi Guys i was wondering if you could give me your honest opinions and advice before I make a descision regarding my future

I have been offered the following:

To work self employed in a salon part time 10 -2 mon to sat and paying £20 per day.

On top of this

also to pay 50% of the first £200 i earn and then 10% after. Firstly I will be using their products. their are also another 2 therapist their who actually own the buisness.

I am not sure if this is a good deal They are really busy and turning clients away at the mo so their would be work for me.

They use elemis, jessica which is what they are really busy with

But id like opinions from an outsider as at the mo Im not sure if this is to much or i should just continue on my own.

many thanks

Hi In my opinion this is very expensive and you would need to work flat out just to make a small wage.
Most salons ask for either a % or a daily/weekly rent, I pay £100 per week for mine and have my own key and unlimited use of the room. Although I do have to buy my own products and equipment once paid for and up and running the replenishing of stock is minimal.
I wish you luck in whatever you decide :hug:

I Totally agree, but on the other hand I would learn so much from them they have been in business for 10 years and their clients are repeat.

whilst I was their one client paid £90.00 for her treatment not sure what she had done but they are very busy with their facials and they are approx £50 each so I suppose id make £25 from each facial .

Im just really unsure and im not sure how it would work out . I have a room at the moment and I only pay £65 for the whole week and im completly free to come and go as i like but I have just started out and i am struggling to get clients in as its a suite within a building

THanks

i cant really say i'd do one thing or the other as ive not been in this situation but 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

only you can look at ur current situation and compare the financial implcations of each option

the offer you have been given does seem on the surface as quite a lot of money however...

if they charge £50 for a facial that would only be 4 facials you would need to do to make the £200 you be paying 50% at and then you be able to do pay just 10% and if you did say 20 more facials that week (4 more per day) you get pay just £100 commission and earn £900 !!!
then uve still got your £100 rent to pay but no products to outlay so ud still get £800

so when you look broadly its not as expensive as it first seems as their pricing structure is quite high

no obv your not just gonna do be only doing facials and wont do say 24 in a week but thats the only price example you gave so only way i could illustrate it.

but ur also only able to work 10-2 reducing the no of clients u can see

and then there is the other side: they supply you with products so yes you have to be happy with the brands they use but thats a huge initial outlay cost off you to not have to stock a salon - will they cut you any deal if you sell products maybe they can give you commission on what you sell???

so you've no stock or equipment to buy if they are charging prices like that id guess they use decent equip

they have a busy salon where you can perform quality treatments and dont have to look for clients of your own or market or advertise

they have insurance and the pay rates etc

so there are a lot of cost savings there too.

but more importantly you said ur just starting out and maybe you can gain a lot of experince and confindence from working in a place like this which in a couple of years may give you a better position to start out on your own again.

this has probably been more hindrence than help but its not always just the money that you get thats important all i can say is think about what your long term goals are and if its financially viable for you to take this opportunity then does it fit into you long term goals of what you can get from working here in terms of peronal and professional development.

best of luck with what ever you decide

:D

Latest posts

Back