• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Salon Geek and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr4cey2008

Reaction score
Hi I am in the process of buying my own salon, and taking on two self employed, one hairdresser and one beauty therapist. Can someone please tell me what the ratio should be, should it be 60/40 and they buy their own products. At the moment they are on a 50/50 split, but I feel that is not enough.
Do they also need their own insurance. Also if their clients pay by credit cards, should they help pay towards the expenses.
I need as much advice as possible please.

Hi I do 60/40 with 60 coming to me.
I provide everything and that includes card machine etc.
I have on occasion done 50/50 for a special stylist etc.

Thank you, one more question, do you have set hours for them, or do they come and go when they like.

Thank you, one more question, do you have set hours for them, or do they come and go when they like.

They must be able to come & go as they like, organise their own diary, take days off as & when. Set their own prices, choose their own uniform (or if to wear one), and be in charge of their own price lists and payments. If you start to blur these simple rules, you are blurring the lines of employment... Which will only get you in to trouble and fined for not paying holiday pay & min wage.

Xx

Having worked self employed and as an employee if you are hiring them as self employed then you are better taking a percentage or a floor fee as such (this is a bonus for when they are off hols/sick u will still get the income as they are still liable to pay "rent" those weeks)and them buying there own stock unless you monitor stock control etc then on a 60/40 ratio.
If they are off etc and you have bought the stock they are technically not in contract so no pay but no services are provided either.
Offering booking if their clients on either basis is always good as when walk ins or calls come you don't want to be having to turn them away, but as they are self employed there hours/days should be arranged by themselves as long as it's suitable and the services are offered enough.

Latest posts

Back