Self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleigh12

Reaction score
If your self employed can you just leave when ever you want ?

Yes. You’re just renting space so it’s up to you when you occupy it.
However, if I was the salon owner I wouldn’t want someone coming and going when they felt like it, especially if they only came in when they had a booking as it doesn’t give the impression of professionalism.

Taking time off for holidays or leaving early occasionally would be fine.

Check your contract

Usually it will say on that if you stay in salon hours or if you can come and go as you wish,

In the salon I’m self employed in if I don’t have a client till 10 then i will come in for about 9:30 and I go home after my last client and once I have cleaned up,

But most days I stay 9-5 or later if I’m doing a late night

We do get walkins a lot so I do tend to stay if my last client has finished early

Check your contract
Usually it will say on that if you stay in salon hours or if you can come and go as you wish,

No, sorry but that’s incorrect.
The salon owner cannot dictate your hours, regardless of whether you’ve signed a contract agreeing to this. You cannot sign away your legal rights.
If they try to manage you in any way, they will find themselves at risk of prosecution by HMRC.

When you’re self employed, the salon owner is simply your landlord/landlady regardless of whether you’re doing a percentage split or rent-a-chair. They have zero control over how you choose to operate your business.

If the salon owner doesn’t give you a key to the premises, you need to request one.

That’s right they cannot tell you what hours you work, you are self employed not employed under them, if you wanted to leave them maybe just give a little bit of notice but you can just leave

Latest posts

Back