Self employment when you don't like being employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Recently a lot of people have been advising me to go self employed on the basis that "if you really don't like how employers treat you then go and work for yourself."

It would be awesome to only have to answer to myself. I've got all the kit I need, a good range of treatments that I can do well and my aim would be to make a minimum profit of 100 a week in a worst case scenario. When I look at it this way then self employment sounds like a good idea.

Troble is though people tell me I need an accountant. Really? I don't think I want to do a percentage split on a room so im thinking mobile or work from home.

There's a lot of competition out there though and I don't think I want clients knowing where I live. Like although there are lots of reasons to go self employed I can already feel myself getting wound up about some of the logistics of it and I just don't know if I've really got the balls to do it, especially when it's not my long term goal to work myself (I'm wanting to teach ultimately).

It's a good idea but I just don't know if i can really handle it.

Help! I don't know what to do.

I should add that I've worked for other people for two years now by which time I have gained lots of experience but became more and more cynical about how employees are treated and this (rightly or wrongly) is probably one of my key motivators right now.

Only you know what is right.

You don't need an accountant it is easy to do yourself as long as you keep good records. £100 a week profit, roughly how many clients per week is that? Do you have a regular client base you know for 100% follow you where you go? Because it can be very very hard to get going starting out on your own, you need to have some savings to keep you going and to go towards all your marketing you will have to pay for.

No client base at all because ive worked in spas and you just don't get regulars there.

I can't build up a self employed client base while working because where I want to be self employed is 150 miles away from where I'm currently working for someone else.

Due to these factors going self employed would be a total gamble i guess.

Considering I've got all the kit and would use social media to advertise, 4 clients a week would work...4 massages and or shellac manis/pedis at 25 each would do me. I just don't know how feasible that is.

Last edited:
No client base at all necause ive worked in spas and you just don't get regulars there.

I can't build up a self employed client base while working necause where I want to be self employed is 150 miles away from where I'm currently working for someone else.

Due to these factors going self employed would be a total gamble i guess.

Based on this I would say it is a total gamble. Could go amazing or totally the other way. All you can do is minimize your risks by saving a pool of money to keep you going, buying everything you need marketing wise and getting our there with a lot of advertising straight away. But this also means a lot of starting costs. You can't just sit and hope people ring unfortunately (not that I am saying that's what you expect :biggrin:)

Maybe you just don't like the place your working at?
I'm sure many people have gone for an interview got the job and then thought actually I don't like this job, the place, the people etc
I did this year's ago, I knew from the interview that I really disliked the owner, she was quite bitchy during the interview but it was a hair apprenticeship I was 17 and I wanted too do it so I took the job, I gritted my teeth everyday for 10 months, cried every night till I finally handed in my notice. They really struggled too keep staff. Some places just arnt right. If I were you, I would look for another job, do the training course you have booked and give it a go somewhere else. If you still find yourself unhappy in your next job, then look into being self employed :)

Thanks coco and penguin :) I see you've both read my other threads too so thank you for that.

I left my last job because I couldn't stand it anymore and my new job isn't much better either (that said I would consider going back to my old job because the hours were much better! ). ..that's why im getting so sceptical I think. ..are all employed situations really that crap or am I just having a bad run maybe. I say that as someone who (despite my recent posts on here lol!) has a pretty high crap threshold.

Thanks coco and penguin :) I see you've both read my other threads too so thank you for that.

I left my last job because I couldn't stand it anymore and my new job isn't much better either (that said I would consider going back to my old job because the hours were much better! ). ..that's why im getting so sceptical I think. ..are all employed situations really that crap or am I just having a bad run maybe. I say that as someone who (despite my recent posts on here lol!) has a pretty high crap threshold.

I think maybe just a run of bad luck :)
Keep your chin up.

You have to think in this industry it's pretty damn easy to open your own salon so you get all sorts of employer's.

I think maybe just a run of bad luck :)
Keep your chin up.

You have to think in this industry it's pretty damn easy to open your own salon so you get all sorts of employer's.

Amen to that :) spas are pretty much the same in how it can be about profit over people in nearly all cases.

It is these extremes of employers that can make it so hard to find a good match as an employee...this is why I fear being seen as a job hopper and just feel like going self employed but then I'm not sure if my reasons are right for it.

I would say you've had a run of bad luck. that said even going self-employed is NOT easy, in fact i say it's harder then working for someone else with a (semi)stable income coming in. When your starting out your making nothing really! it takes hard work to gain clients and getting clients in the door in the beginning is not as easy as everyone thinks. Expenses can outweigh any profit you make and you have to think twice about even spending $10.

Perhaps work part time somewhere and start your own thing. most spas wont let you work in the beauty field outside of their establishment but perhaps you can find a desk job for a few days of stable income. this is what i did for the first two years of my business. Even 4 years into it i have quiet months so something to think about as well.

I've just skimmed the thread, so apologies in advance if I have got something wrong.

4X£25 =£100 - insurance, NI contributions, travelling costs, product costs, uniform, sickness/holiday/slack weeks and so on.

To take £100 you need to make much more.

Hth; just want you to see the whole picture.

Will u be able to continue work and slowly build up a client base. then go full time self employed?
I think that's safer
Min x

I'm currently in a similar boat. However Im stuck saving until I can do the course I want. Utilise the time you have now, look for another job (maybe something complete different) save your money and research and learn everything you can about being self employed. Once you have enough money, go part time at your current role (if pos or find another job) that will give you a steady income each month; until your on your feet with a good client basis. I hope this helps, don't give up. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough. :) x

I think if you don't have a clientbase the only feasible way to start up and make sure had enough custom would be a room in an established and busy salon or maybe a room in a gym or health club so you had enough footfall. Otherwise you would have to spend a LOT on advertising if you have no existing client base.

Maybe it would be better to do a bit of mobile work alongside your existing job to try and get a clientbase first. Or maybe look for a salon job rather than a spa for a different type of experience and give you more regular clients??

I am also in a similar position.
I am currently self employed and have been for over 2 years now in a salon on a 50/50 basis and no more, which is great on busy weeks but over the past year we have had some really shocking months and I am hardly making any money to myself.
I would like to save up for a deposit and get a mortage but im worried because I havent got a stable income each month ill be unable to do that.
The salon I work in is in a very small market town which has 7 hairdressers in including the one i work in, I have been there just over 6 years now, done my training there and it just seems to be getting quieter. I could be just doing one trim a day which is £10 and then I half my share of it or even have nothing in.
Most of our clientele are elderly people or people who have been coming to the salon for over 20 years because they know the boss.
I have been looking for jobs in the next biggest town which is about half an hour drive, but all that they say is they want me to bring a clientele. I cant bring clients from the salon im at because most of the are elderly and they dont mind which stylist they have, the salon is just convienant for them.
So im a bit confused on what to do really, Im not sure whether to carry on and go self employed somwehere else, or employed or work part time etc

So just need some advise after that little rant :p

Latest posts

Back