Sensitive subject - beauty couch weight

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovelashes

Reaction score
I'm just going to have to spit this out but how do you sensitively broach the subject of whether your client will exceed your beds weight limit?

There was a loud crack while I had a client on the bed earlier and I had no idea how to handle it x

This thought did used to go through my mind when I first started but I haven't actually had any problems. I've had a couple of big clients who when I've turned up thought 'is the bed going to hold' but it's always been ok so I've never had to mention it. I guess my bed is just really strong...it's wooden, what is yours made of?

I really don't know how to check they're not 'too big' for the couch. Can't exactly ask them if they weigh more than 185kg when they book in?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

185kg is nearly 30 stone, so I reckon you'd have a pretty good idea if they were approaching that!

185kg is nearly 30 stone, so I reckon you'd have a pretty good idea if they were approaching that!

Not over the phone...

Not over the phone...

Weighing 30 stone would put them in a dress size over a 30.
At that weight it would be unlikely they were mobile enough to get to a salon and wouldn't be able to get on the bed without assistance. There's also the possibility that the doorways wouldn't be wide enough, so you have nothing to worry about...
Think of it as, if they can get on without help (for reasons of weight only as there may be some who have a disability or illness) then the bed will take them xoxo

I'm just going to have to spit this out but how do you sensitively broach the subject of whether your client will exceed your beds weight limit?

There was a loud crack while I had a client on the bed earlier and I had no idea how to handle it x

I do think it is in everyone's best interests for you to contact the manufacturer of your couch and ask them what the weight limit is. Not only is this from an insurance point of view should an accident happen but more importantly for the safety of your client.

I had exactly the same situation once. I had a new client for facial and she was an extremely large lady. I know that my couch has a weight limit of 23 stone but wasn't sure how to broach this with my client so I designed a slightly different consultation form which had tick boxes and weight ranges. The last box was a weight range of 23 - 25 stone and if she had ticked that one then I would have told her that my bed can only take a maximum of 23 stone and that I would not be insured if she had an accident and that I only had her safety in mind.

I am completely useless at estimating people's weight and think it is risky and possibly dangerous to do this when you are treating clients.

HTH
PB
x

Not over the phone...

Ahh I hadn't thought of that, good point. I have a pal who is 23 stone, and she's that aware of it that she would always mention it to check herself that the bed will take her. It stops her going for a loot of treatments tbh, as she cant relax if she's wondering if the bed will collapse.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is that most women who are bigger would check, so it removes the embarrassment of having to ask them.

I've just had a look at mine and it can carry 44 stone!! :O

I'm a larger lady and to be frank if I broke someone's couch I'd be mortified!
It is a delicate subject but I would want to know if a couch could hold me or not.
The end of the day we know we're over weight we are not stupid things have weight limits.
You could always soften the blow saying couch is a little flimsy, it will take sting out of it.

Ive got reinforced steel bases, which hold the weight if its a wooden one then i can understand the crack noise, but surely it sshould be sturdy enough! xoxo

Latest posts

Back