Serious attitude problem raising it's ugly head on here !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I have been mostly absent over the last few weeks and have tried to pop in when I can but to be honest I am finding it quite frustrating at the moment. :( When I was on here regularly we used to have the odd little spat or difference of opinion but it never seemed quite as petty and "personal" as it seems to be at the moment. There are quite a few names that I don't know yet and it does seem that we have a lovely new bunch that have joined the forums, but then there also does seem to be a small bunch of geeks out to " make a name for themselves" by taking comments way too personally, being way too defensive and just making it plain nasty.
Good manners don't cost anything, and isn't it better to EARN respect and be part of a close community rather than DEMANDING respect and trying to divide an established community?

Have I just lost the plot, am I imagining this because I am still a bit fragile from what has been going on with me or are others feeling the same ?
Just felt the need to highlight what I have noticed over the last few visits

( Moderators, please feel free to remove or move this post if needed as I do not want to cause more "bad attitude" LOL):o

I know the mods don't like these types if threads as they tend to brew ill feeling and people thinking that the posts are aimed at them.
However I have to agree, there is quite a bit of negativity and bad attitude going on in the forums.
So what can we do about?
Firstly, if you feel offended by a post then re-read it with a smile on your face, does it still seem offensive? Remember that some geeks are busy, they don't have time to sugar coat replies, others just aren't that way inclined to be all hearts and kisses- but their advice is amazing!

Some geeks don't speak English as their first language so sometimes posts can come across as harsh when they're not.

We need to remember that this is a community and obviously not everyone is going to get along, it's just a fact of life- but we can all be respectful of each other.

The biggest names in our industry regularly post on this site and we are getting their knowledge and help for FREE, so remember that and be grateful.

If you read a post that really gets your back up then report it, this forum is what we make it.

And remember, the general public, your clients, can read these posts, so lets keep it professional and leave the petty squabbling in the playground.

Have a lovely day geeks ❤ xx

I have noticed a lot more very amateur questions being asked, ones that really do make me quite annoyed because the people asking have themselves listed as a professional. If someone is a professional then a lot of those questions wouldn't be asked and it is frustrating to see the boards filled up with silly posts that you would basically learn on your first day of a course, or indeed from 5 minutes reading the forum you are in!
People immediately are leaping onto the defensive when an answer is given to them which is perfectly reasonable but they take offence to for absolutely no reason. It's really childish and tiresome and kinda makes me not want to bother visiting the site anymore because the knowledge that is given out by some seriously experienced geeks is getting lost in the mire of biting people's heads off.
Clients must read this forum and think what a childish bunch of idiots.

Normally we dont like threads like these as we all know that they end up in the toilet eventually.

Let's just take a step back, all of us, not just newbies or oldies or youngies will old heads etc. and think of how we react to situations on here.

If someone strikes a match, should we be fanning the flames or alternatively we could just ignore the match and eventually it will peter out.

We all need to be aware of the rules and think of this site as what it is, a community and learning/teaching site. As the site rules state, post to others as you would be posted to.

Many of us have busy lives and we read questions and post, often in haste, to get a reply out there rather than leaving someone feeling that they are being ignored for whatever reason. Please be grateful for replies and not react in a negative way if they are not fluffy and back patting, like that phrase LOL.

We are almost into a New Year so let's all make a huge effort to make it a good and harmonious one.

I took this from Fiona Wallace's Facebook page today - we could all learn loads from The Secret

"To be successful is to be helpful, caring and constructive, to make everything and everyone you touch a little bit better." - Norman Vincent Peale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back