Setting up new hair mobile and terrified!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilehair

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just about to set up as a mobile hairdresser and I'm terrified!! I've never had my own business before and it is SO scary thinking about bank accounts and stuff. I know I'm probably being daft but I'm even scared that I won't actually get any business and yet I'm a good stylist and have very big catchment area. I think a big part is knowing I need to start bringing in some money as I'm out of work now and we can only just manage on partners wage! Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling this scared!!!!

You know what will put all those fears behind you...just getting on with it! Then you will be too busy to worry.

Go around the banks today to look at opening a business bank account, some are free for the first year.

Then make up some simple professional price lists and start telling everyone you know that you are setting up.

Then set up a simple spread sheet to record any products/equiptment you buy (also keep reciepts) and treatments you perform.

Buy some client record cards and a receipt book.

Contact HM Revenue and customs after you start trading to tell them you have (this takes one phone call)

Then go for it, it's very easy as you need hardy any equipment to take with you especially if you do a full consultation on the phone.

Of course it's daunting but you need to have a positive attitude in order to succeed. Don't put up barriers to your progress by thinking "it's going to be hard" just set out to do it and find "it can be done." Good luck :hug:

Once you get a client it is easy to keep them if you do an excellent job.

Thank you Weezie, you are so right and you made me feel so much better by saying those that to me!! I know it will be fine when I do it!! I have to do it and I'm 'going live' in the next 2 weeks!!!! :eek:

Hi all,

I'm just about to set up as a mobile hairdresser and I'm terrified!! I've never had my own business before and it is SO scary thinking about bank accounts and stuff. I know I'm probably being daft but I'm even scared that I won't actually get any business and yet I'm a good stylist and have very big catchment area. I think a big part is knowing I need to start bringing in some money as I'm out of work now and we can only just manage on partners wage! Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling this scared!!!!

Hi there

To help support new start ups our company has a free version of online software that will really help you - and there is no catch (it is just a smaller, scaled down version of what we sell for bigger companies). It will give you a customer database, online calendar, maps (to help you find your customers). If you go to our website www.icomplete.com you can sign up for free.

Good luck with your venture (I used to run my own beauty business for years until I sold it recently and loved it). One really important bit of advice to give you is to take email addresses when you get your clients to fill in their consultation form - that way you can send out emails of special offers to them (free to send and saves on printing loads of flyers or brochures).

All the best and go for it :)

Thanks for the advice Claire!!

Hi Claire,
I have been operating a mobile hairdressing service with many contract operators for 11 years now. I have just completed writing two e-books one for mobile hairdressing - "kickstart", and the other the wedding hairdresser - these include our experiences of what worked and what didn't and all sorts of other mobile hairdressing related downloads, pricing charts, stock and equipment,advertising templates and other business related matter etc etc .
If you contact me via our contact page on our new website - http//easy-hairstyles-everyday.com
I will start you in the right direction, and you can request to go on the list for the new e-books which will be available in a couple of weeks.
This site is constantly growing and we will shortly have a members support area for hairdressers just like you.
regards
Sandra Lamb

Latest posts

Back