Setting up own business..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucybluebell

Reaction score
I've just qualified as a nail tech, I've sorted out my insurance with the beauty guild.
I know it's a silly question but do I have to register myself anywhere or can I just start trying to get clients and go for it? I know I won't need to pay tax as I won't be earning enough.
If there is a website that anyone could recommend I'd be grateful (if I need to do anything that is)
Thanks for reading xx

Whether you anticipate having to pay tax or not, you must register with HMRC. You failing to do so could land you with a fine.

Check out THIS site for some comprehensive starting advice.

You should also keep your business account separate from your own personal account - it's much easier to see what is where and how much money you have to spend/invest.

And keep a record of every single penny that comes in/leaves your business. You will need this information when completing your tax return form.

Thanks for the link :biggrin:

yes you need to contact hmrc asap, you may not earn enough to pay tax yet but you will have to start paying NI probably on a quarterly basis, keep records of everything!!! contact business link they do a free one day course on all youneed to know when setting up in business,

also you will need to contact your council if you will be working from home, some councils you need a licence some you dont, different rules apply if the room will be used for family also,

if you are going to be mobile contact your car insurance as they will need to be notified,

i know it seems alot but it is all straight forward xx

yes you need to contact hmrc asap, you may not earn enough to pay tax yet but you will have to start paying NI probably on a quarterly basis, keep records of everything!!! contact business link they do a free one day course on all youneed to know when setting up in business,

also you will need to contact your council if you will be working from home, some councils you need a licence some you dont, different rules apply if the room will be used for family also,

if you are going to be mobile contact your car insurance as they will need to be notified,

i know it seems alot but it is all straight forward xx
Thanks ever so much. I've just been speaking to my brother as he's self employed (phew) I'm sure it's all quite simple but I've just been a stay at home mum for nearly 16 years so I feel a bit out of my depth lol

we are all in the same boat hun(my children are 15 and 18) but good that we can help each other on here!!sometimes easier to ask on here also....although i have been at home and housebound for the last 2 years with my son i have the benefit that my new husband had his own business for 15 years and knows all the ins and outs!!he does get fed up of my questions though!!xxx

we are all in the same boat hun(my children are 15 and 18) but good that we can help each other on here!!sometimes easier to ask on here also....although i have been at home and housebound for the last 2 years with my son i have the benefit that my new husband had his own business for 15 years and knows all the ins and outs!!he does get fed up of my questions though!!xxx

Yes it's wonderful having this site, I really don't know what I would have done without it!!
I can't really promote my business until sept when my youngest starts school, but I can start doing a few clients (if I can get any lol)xx

even though ive been in and out the industry for about 15 years i am learning every time i come on here which i love...i dont think you can ever stop learning!

id say have a really great summer with your kids but get yourself organised and ready!! and doing a few clients now will be like advertising yourself anyway, it takes time to build up clients, i have busy days and quiet days which is frustrating as i just want to do nails all the time lol

Latest posts

Back