Severe undercutting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelnailz

Reaction score
hi there

there's a new mobile nail tech in my area who is charging £20 for gel extensions. Not only that she is doing hand painted nail art and gems and anything u want for no extra cost. Her work is stunning. Even just her French gels have beautiful balance and smile lines to die for. What she is charging is severely undercutting me and clients are getting much more for their money. I just can't compete with that and wonder what the future holds when prices are being driven down like this?

that's frustrating! but most of these techs that charge rediculous prices don't last long. not because they're not good (some are very talented), but because they're losing money. I wouldn't worry too much, either she'll go under, or she'll up her prices to be inline more with yours.

you will get this everywhere i'm afraid so as above said really ride it out and make sure you keep up the good work yourself, just because she's doing cheaper nails doesnt mean to say everyone is going to be happy and move to her. are her nails lasting the time? what products does she use? she could be using low end ones which dont always last as well, anyone can do lovely looking nails but it is important to use good products also, if she's charging £20 let her carry on stick to what you know and do best and ignore what others do.:biggrin:

I hate that saying 'nice nails aint cheap and cheap nails aint nice' because its normally newly qualified part time hacks that charge the earth who say it! :p

She'll get frustrated eventually when she realises her skills are worth more and her clients don't actually appreciate her talent level. Then she'll be in an awkward position of having to ask for more money.

As for yourself, it's healthy to have a little competition.
instead of getting down or annoyed, strive to be the very best, think what can I do that she can't? :) x

Thanks girls!

Everything you have said is right and in fact advice I have given in the past myself. I think to be honest Ive always seen techs in my area charging low prices and its never bothered me as im busy and have a great reputation but this case struck a chord with me as her work is so good! but like you say charging those prices something has to give, either quality of products or she wont be making any money. Im all for healthy competition for sure but felt the odds are really stacked against me in this case but as u all say i cant vouch for quality etc. thanks everyone xxx

If it makes you feel better, I started doing the odd bit of nail art for no extra cost to friends, and people started seeing it and it is now at the stage where it's all everyone wants!!
I wasn't charging extra as I hadn't planned to do it, and because I didn't charge for one I didn't the next.
Well now I have introduced it individually priced and it costs a lot more as I couldn't afford to do it.
It wasn't intentional that I was so cheap, it was by accident.

Anyway, what I'm saying is she was probably the same and didnt quite realise the time and cost involved and I'm pretty certain her prices will change soon to match so don't panic, ride the storm as it will pass :)

Xx

I have this a lot where i live, I seen different people advertising nails for £5 and Gelish for £10, shocking!!

I don't let it bother me and doesn't effect my business at all x

I have had the same just today saw someone in my area advertising Shellac for £7.00 :Scared:
I'm new myself and looking for new client's but would never do it for that price do they not realise that they are going to devalue the service for everyone !!!
What do I say to my lovely ladies when if they ever see her advert ???

Makes me so mad

:sad:

I have had the same just today saw someone in my area advertising Shellac for £7.00 :Scared:
I'm new myself and looking for new client's but would never do it for that price do they not realise that they are going to devalue the service for everyone !!!
What do I say to my lovely ladies when if they ever see her advert ???

Makes me so mad

:sad:
Ask her if she would buy value beefburgers from Tesco :eek:

Obviously no one has told them that it costs more than that to do a set without the cost of disposables.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I hate that saying 'nice nails aint cheap and cheap nails aint nice' because its normally newly qualified part time hacks that charge the earth who say it! :p

I also don't like this saying. When I chose to get lots of people in at model prices for Minx so I could get up to speed, apart from my first one who was my friend (I blogged it, remember? :wink2:) I was churning out much better quality than pictures I'd seen elsewhere. So my nails were cheap and were nice!
But it was a short term offer that worked well both ways, whereas the OP has this ongoing. Sorry, I really do feel for you and can't offer any words of advice because you have said that her work is stunning. What can you say apart from keep churning out your own stunning work. :hug:

Latest posts

Back