Shaking or rolling Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EgitaN

Reaction score
Do you shake your Shellac bottles or roll them between your hands before an application? I just remember that rolling was a suggestion for normal polishes for not getting bubbles in.

Shake! Rolling will NOT effectively blend the ingredients.
(Shake CND Vinylux colours too)

Do Shellac bottles have metal beads in it to help mix the ingredients? Like Vinylux and other polishes.

Do Shellac bottles have metal beads in it to help mix the ingredients? Like Vinylux and other polishes.

Indeed they do. Two little ball bearings. You'll find them in CND Shellac Base Coat, Colour Coats and Top Coat - you can hear them rattle more in the base as it has a thinner viscosity, but they are there in all.

Vinylux Colours have them, but Vinylux Weekly Top Coat does not - Vinylux Weekly Top Coat does not require to be shaken or rolled at all.

Indeed they do. Two little ball bearings. You'll find them in CND Shellac Base Coat, Colour Coats and Top Coat - you can hear them rattle more in the base as it has a thinner viscosity, but they are there in all.

Vinylux Colours have them, but Vinylux Weekly Top Coat does not - Vinylux Weekly Top Coat does not require to be shaken or rolled at all.

Great, thank you Wee Fee. As I've never heard the little balls in Shellac (like in Vinylux) I wasn't sure they are there.

I've just seen a post by Geeg on this where she said she rolls and taps on the heel of her palm :) x

What exactly do you mean by shake? I want to make sure we're all on the same page. Geeg posted on the thread entitled "CND Shellac - base coat" the following:

"Better not to shake, but to tap the bottle against the heel of your hand while turning it. I don't think I have ever had to do this longer than 15 or 20 seconds in the 5 years I have been using Shellac.

You do not have to be an Olympic shaker to use and enjoy using Shellac. Just tap tap tap and turn turn turn while you are doing it and the whole room does not have to shake."

Oh, thank you for this! I somehow missed that the Vinylux top coat does not need to be shaken. I will remember from now on. :biggrin:

Looks like im the odd one out here then lol i stick it down my top, for a few mins then roll lol works well x:biggrin:

CND Shellac requires the ingredients to be blended prior to application. If we could see through a bottle that has been sitting overnight or longer we would see that the formula separates - the heavier, solid ingredients (pigments, different sized micas, acetone soluble polymers, etc) would be sitting at the bottom of the bottle where as the lighter, liquid ingredients (the solvents) would be at the top. If these are not blended together before every use, the user will have a list of challenges, such as, but not limited to; uneven colour, overly sheer/wishywashy-ness, an unusable gooy bit at the end of the bottle, general service breakdown such as chipping or peeling.
If we don't blend, we will use up all the liquid parts of the formula and leave behind the solid ingredients, which is bad news for us and out clients.

So what constitutes 'blending the ingredients'?

When CND Shellac first came along it was VERY important we made the distinction between rolling and shaking. Most people had been taught a pointlessly gentle rolling method with traditional nail polish at collage or school out of some kind of imaginary fear of creating bubbles (which even if you did create, would be gone when wiping on the inside of the polish bottle neck anyway...) Turning the bottle upside down and rolling between your palms in this way will NOT blend the CND Shellac formula adequately.

Now, many users of CND Shellac got a bit carried away with shaking, purchasing bottle shaking devices or shaking bottles vigorously for 30 - 60 seconds - totally excessive and unnecessary - but when you keep getting told, 'oh you must have had X problem because you didn't shake enough', it's understandable why people came to this conclusion.

Geeg said:
"tap the bottle against the heel of your hand while turning it. I don't think I have ever had to do this longer than 15 or 20 seconds in the 5 years I have been using Shellac.

You do not have to be an Olympic shaker to use and enjoy using Shellac. Just tap tap tap and turn turn turn while you are doing it and the whole room does not have to shake."

I have seen Geeg do what she describes above and her technique is absolutely beautifully adequate to blend the CND Shellac formula prior to application, but it is possible to shake more vigorously for less time and achieve the same result if you prefer. This is what I would do,
Place my index and middle finger over the shoulders of the bottle and rattle up and down like a can of spray paint for no more than 3-4 seconds - and even that would only be first thing in the morning if the bottle hadn't been used since the day before.

So, do it more gently over 15-20 seconds like Geeg, do it more vigorously over 3-4 seconds like me, or somewhere in between, and you'll be sorted!

Hope that answers everyone's questions :)

CND Shellac requires the ingredients to be blended prior to application. If we could see through a bottle that has been sitting overnight or longer we would see that the formula separates - the heavier, solid ingredients (pigments, different sized micas, acetone soluble polymers, etc) would be sitting at the bottom of the bottle where as the lighter, liquid ingredients (the solvents) would be at the top. If these are not blended together before every use, the user will have a list of challenges, such as, but not limited to; uneven colour, overly sheer/wishywashy-ness, an unusable gooy bit at the end of the bottle, general service breakdown such as chipping or peeling.
If we don't blend, we will use up all the liquid parts of the formula and leave behind the solid ingredients, which is bad news for us and out clients.

So what constitutes 'blending the ingredients'?

When CND Shellac first came along it was VERY important we made the distinction between rolling and shaking. Most people had been taught a pointlessly gentle rolling method with traditional nail polish at collage or school out of some kind of imaginary fear of creating bubbles (which even if you did create, would be gone when wiping on the inside of the polish bottle neck anyway...) Turning the bottle upside down and rolling between your palms in this way will NOT blend the CND Shellac formula adequately.

Now, many users of CND Shellac got a bit carried away with shaking, purchasing bottle shaking devices or shaking bottles vigorously for 30 - 60 seconds - totally excessive and unnecessary - but when you keep getting told, 'oh you must have had X problem because you didn't shake enough', it's understandable why people came to this conclusion.

I have seen Geeg do what she describes above and her technique is absolutely beautifully adequate to blend the CND Shellac formula prior to application, but it is possible to shake more vigorously for less time and achieve the same result if you prefer. This is what I would do,
Place my index and middle finger over the shoulders of the bottle and rattle up and down like a can of spray paint for no more than 3-4 seconds - and even that would only be first thing in the morning if the bottle hadn't been used since the day before.

So, do it more gently over 15-20 seconds like Geeg, do it more vigorously over 3-4 seconds like me, or somewhere in between, and you'll be sorted!

Hope that answers everyone's questions :)

Brilliant answer! Thank you very much WeeFee

Latest posts

Back