Shaving?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhatanning

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

This is manly for guys but girls feel free to chip in. Basically when I shave my beard off I get shaving rash and some in grown hairs.

Now I've used different brands of razors and I've used different amounts of blades (5, 3 & 1) an I still get the same problem. One thought would be to invest in an electric shaver?? Would that help?

Also apart from moisturising and cleansing etc what else can I do to help improve it? As the skin can be painful at times too!

Many thanks
Ashley DHA Tanning

No idea about the electric razor but IPL!

Never shave against the direction of hair growth particularly on the crease of the neck. I rarely wet shave because no matter how well you do it there is a risk of irritation. I generally clipper for a perma-stubble look. When I do wet shave I wash, exfoliate and use an oil rather than a cream/foam so you can clearly see hair growth direction. Quick rough shave to get rid of most the hair, wash it all off, re-oil and do another slower closer shave (but still only in the direction of growth). 3 blade max for me as I can stand those ridiculous 53 bladed vibrating space ship looking razors.

Also try Aloe Clear the roll on solution for ingrown hairs

Thank you!! Yeah I generally go with the hair (the direction it's growing) an I've used oils before and they don't really help so at the moment I've got a special gel type potions hah.

I will deffo try the electric shaver, I used to trim the beard but sometimes I like to cleanly shave it so the next day I get the 5 Oclock shadow (my hair grows really quick)

But yes thank you guys :)

Ashley DHA Tanning

My other half had the same problem. His face used to be all red everytime he used any shop bought blade and so he invested in a safety razor and used that. Started off with the slightly duller of the blades then upped to the feather light blades and his redness is minimal now. I've just recently bought him a safety razor which he's learning to use. He also got proper shaving cream and balm. We got it from a proper shaving shop and got lots of helpful hints and freebies. If there is one near you Id recommend the safety razor from what I've on my other halves face. :)

My husband used to get really bad shaving rash. Not sure how sensitive your skin is at present but have you tried a gentle facial exfoliante & also a moisturiser? The exfoliant you will need to use is like a facial wash with small granules (don't use a body scrub as that will be too harsh!). After you have gently exfoliated, wash off with water, pat dry with a towel. Then add a vey small amount of daily moisturiser before your shaving cream & wet shave. This should protect your sensitive skin & the razor shouldn't cause much irritation. You may need to adjust the amount of moisturiser applied or even apply it onto a damp skin. My husband has shaved using this method for years & it works for him.
Hope it helps you too. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Dermalogica do an amazing shave range for men that helps combat irritation etc. When I worked out of a hair salon, our Barbers used to use it for cut throat shaves. If you go into your local Dermalogica stockist they'll be able to give you some samples to try.

Ah thank you guys so much for all the info, not sure how to reply individually so doing a bulk one haha.

Sgordan91 - there's lots of barbers around where I live so I will deffo go into a few and check out what they say regarding their products I could use. I will also check out the safety razor as even though I've bought the electric razer I still like to wet shave.

Sandydee - I've never heard of that trick before, I will try it. I wonder if I could do it with the safety razor? Hmm we shall see haha.

BBS77 - I use Dermalogica at the moment. I've got some pre and post shave things along with their shaving gel and oil. Not really doing much. But I do love the moisturiser, cleansing gel and exfoliant.

Thank you guys and girls :)
Ashley DHA Tanning
X

Talk to The ShaveDoctor - well one his trained salons. His range of products are amazing - I have done cut throat shaves for guys who always get razor rash and irritation using them and when they sit up and look in the mirror they are astounded how good their skin looks and how smooth!

Mat

Hot flannel over beard area helps beforehand too.
Obviously talking from my husbands' experience not my own, lol :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back