Shellac and LED lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeLee'z

Reaction score
Ive just started part time as well as my usual being mobile part time. And in the salon they cure shellac in an led light but I was sure in my training yrs ago that shellac will only cure in uv lamp?? Am I wrong and have been carrying 2 dif lamps with me for the past year dor shellac or gelish? When I asked in salom they said it can be but I wanted to double check?? Advice please??? Dont want to go against the boss but dont want chemical break down either? ???
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive just started part time as well as my usual being mobile part time. And in the salon they cure shellac in an led light but I was sure in my training yrs ago that shellac will only cure in uv lamp?? Am I wrong and have been carrying 2 dif lamps with me for the past year dor shellac or gelish? When I asked in salom they said it can be but I wanted to double check?? Advice please??? Dont want to go against the boss but dont want chemical break down either? ???

A lot of debate about this. Most people seem to be arguing that LED lamps with high wattage give off better light intensity and therefore are perfect and great for Shellac curing. However, my opinion differs. Shellac is not purely gel. It's a hybrid of gel and nail lacquer. This is why it's popular for being less damaging during removal because it doesn't adhere as strongly to the nail plate like other gels which are more gel than polish. The CND Shellac UV lamp not only has the UV light but also uses a fan. Have you noticed? No LED lamp I've ever used includes a fan. We know that lacquer dries through evaporation, and gel cures with UV light. CND's lamp includes both for their Shellac product. So, Shellac, in my opinion, being the hybrid product it is, needs to be cured using the CND lamp which they designed just for their product. I believe, because Shellac is the gel & lacquer hybrid it is, you need the longer cure time (with the internal fan) to help the gel cure but also dry the lacquer that Shellac contains. LED lights are too quick and won't address the lacquer half of Shellac. Some may not have issues with curing using LED lamps which surprises me but why chance having issues in the future? I would think using LED lights to cure Shellac would lead to it possibly peeling and chipping sooner than usual. I'd stick with using the CND lamp. It's a great lamp, designed for the product, you haven't had issues using it up till now, why change? I know lugging around 2 lamps may not be fun, but I would do it, just to make sure you're doing the best thing for your client in preventing any possible issues. Why chance having an issue and having to go back to fix someone's nails all because the LED lamp isn't curing their Shellac as well as your CND lamp does? HTH

CND state the only lamps that will cure Shellac for sure is their Brisa lamp or the Shellac lamp. Anything else they cannot guarantee as they have not been tested. Even though the product may look cured in any other lamp there is still a risk that it is only partially cured and therefore you risk increased exposure to uncured product which can lead to allergy, as well as service breakdown.

If your boss is all for giving a good and safe service, stick the Doug Schoon book under her nose for some up to date education. Or you could follow him on Facebook and get educational updates via email too. It's all out there for us. :biggrin:

Thank u ladies... im sticking with what ive been doing past year mobile as I want to cover my back and with my insurance policy I have to follow manufacturer system instructions. .. just unsure how to bring it up in new job or do I jus do what the boss wants??

Why do you carry 2 lamps ? The cnd lamp cures gellish also and shellac so you could just have the cnd lamp x

Why do you carry 2 lamps ? The cnd lamp cures gellish also and shellac so you could just have the cnd lamp x

Gelish led lamp has different settings so rather that 1 minute it's 5 seconds
2 minutes is 20 seconds and 3 minutes is 30 seconds x

Gelish led lamp has different settings so rather that 1 minute it's 5 seconds
2 minutes is 20 seconds and 3 minutes is 30 seconds x

Oh yes it's led lamp ..... I can't paint that fast (yet) 😄 x

I need my led lamp for doing gelish parties as it dramatically cuts down time when uv got 10 sets of hands and feet to do 1 after the other... xx

Latest posts

Back