Shellac application help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfl

cfl
Reaction score
I am starting up again using CND shellac and just to catch up, have watched a couple of videos to just get back into the prep etc. I have been trained but just wanted to take a look at the routine and noticed that the Cnd trainers are actually sealing the free edge before the apply polish instead of after the nail paint is applied? I thought this was a bit misleading as I have trained using Cnd and this wasn't the way I was shown. Anyone know why? Also have noticed new removal foil wraps, guess it's two years since I last used Shellac so bound to be somenew changes, but would have thought application wouldn't change.
could anyone give me any advice on this please.

I think it's just different methods of applying polish/gel polish. Some people cap the free edge first, some people do it after. It's also going to depend on the shape and size of the nail so there's no right or wrong answer to the best of my knowledge.

I did my shellac training in March and was taught to cap the free edge first x

They teach to cap the edge first to avoid a thick edge therefore reducing peeling. It also makes the appearance of the shellac smoother

The foil wraps are really good, I tried the magi ones too but I prefer the CND ones. They seem to conform to the finger shape better.

Yes the application method has changed :)

It may take a little getting used to, but the new way of painting is awesome :) Once you master it , it will make you very quick and virtually eliminates any problems such as too thick any application or overcapping the free edge which were common mistakes people were having ! :)

try it ;)

I did my shellac training in March and was taught to cap the free edge first x
Where you told all about duraforce topcoat and does it make shellac last longer?

We were told that duraforce is good for clients who are tough on their nails so shellac usually doesn't last as long. It wasn't recommended to use on all clients just to make it last longer. Can't remember why, though. I guess because it takes longer to remove and we also don't really want clients to go more than 2 weeks between appointments

We were told that duraforce is good for clients who are tough on their nails so shellac usually doesn't last as long. It wasn't recommended to use on all clients just to make it last longer. Can't remember why, though. I guess because it takes longer to remove and we also don't really want clients to go more than 2 weeks between appointments
Great thanks. At you finding shellac lasting 2 weeks?

thanks ladies, appreciate your replies:)but if you cap the free edge first, well what about the little bead of shellac you have on your brush? I may sound a bit silly but I think I would stroke the middle of the nail first then the free edge. but yes it does make sense. I have no problem with normal polish, but when using Shellac I always worry about sealing the free edge and then clients saying that the nails were fine, just the edges peeled a little bit!! I am experienced and done manicures and beauty therapy treatments for years, just this one thing about getting 2 thin coats of shellac on and sealing the edge, just confidence isn't it but it does worry me if clients arn't completely happy! I don't just spend all day doing shellac, as I do other treatments so its just getting the practice in I think. :rolleyes:

So far! I haven't had many clients - I'm in the process of decorating my spare room and I have 14 month old twins, so I'm a bit restricted, time-wise. But it's lasting on the few sets I've done so far :)

So far! I haven't had many clients - I'm in the process of decorating my spare room and I have 14 month old twins, so I'm a bit restricted, time-wise. But it's lasting on the few sets I've done so far :)
Wow lol very busy. My 2 little ones keep me busy enough and they arnt twins :) x x

Latest posts

Back