Shellac application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutiecles

Reaction score
Advice please geeks, I've been having a tough time getting Shellac perfect, the colour keeps riding back from the free edge and also coming off at the inhibition removal stage. A fellow Creative colleague put this down to not enough base coat on the nail but then when I do a slightly thicker coat, (still bearing in mind 'thin to win') the odd nail will pucker after curing! Losing sleep over this as hate not to perfect anything. My base coat although brand new is very thick like old nail polish, could this be the problem? I'm following tutorials to the letter!

I have the exact same problem but it only happens now and again? Do u find the colour seems to receed from the base of the nails and around the nail walls? It's so frustrating! X

I have the exact same problem but it only happens now and again? Do u find the colour seems to receed from the base of the nails and around the nail walls? It's so frustrating! X
Yes it just starts coming back from the free edge and sometimes comes off the side walls!! After reading lots of threads I'm convinced my base coat has been damaged by UV so I'm going to get a new one asap - I often do nails in a conservatory, not a good place for shellac!

Where ever your base coat goes, your colour coat will follow, so you need to ensure you paint your base coat as close as you can to the eponychium. Paint your base as if it were a bright red.
If your base doesnt go right to the sides then neither will your colour.
With your colour removing when wiping the inhibition, its because you are missing bits with your top coat. Make sure you cover the entire colour coat with top and ensure you seal this layer at the edge too. :hug:

Sounds as well as if you are not 'sealing' the free edge as you paint.

I find many people try to 'cap' the free edge as if Shellac was a gel. When people 'cap' they use too much Shellac and then they see this receding thing going on.

So much more simple to just lightly 'seal' the free edge as you paint by coming down the sides and flicking the brush across to the centre of the free edge in a light stroke. Very fast, very nice and thin, very efficient and completely effective.

Finally, you need to replace your Base Coat which should not be thick. Top Coat is thicker naturally.

Glad i looked at this thread, i just had a client call to say that i did her nails a week ago and they have started bubbling at the ends and peeling, thats a new one (lol, what was she doing, toasting her fingers under the grill) im quite sure they're not "bubbling" and there werent any bubbles when i did them, however, maybe what she 'actually' means is that the shellac is shrinking back from the free edge because after reading what Geeg advised about sealing, (and then comparing how i seal lol !) i realise that this may well be what it is and the only thing i have seen before would be this shrinking back, which i took for general wear and tear, i will take this advice, client coming to see me tomorow ! heeheehee

Glad i looked at this thread, i just had a client call to say that i did her nails a week ago and they have started bubbling at the ends and peeling, thats a new one (lol, what was she doing, toasting her fingers under the grill) im quite sure they're not "bubbling" and there werent any bubbles when i did them, however, maybe what she 'actually' means is that the shellac is shrinking back from the free edge because after reading what Geeg advised about sealing, (and then comparing how i seal lol !) i realise that this may well be what it is and the only thing i have seen before would be this shrinking back, which i took for general wear and tear, i will take this advice, client coming to see me tomorow ! heeheehee

Hi Tigan,

Shellac does not shrink when curing or after it has cured lol ... but it does need to be nice and normally thin at the ends or you might notice the free edge before it has cured. If you do see this, just brush over lightly until you remove any excess before curing. Job done.

Thanks Geeg x

Many thanks all, I have now replaced my base coat and have finally achieved a perfect set of Shellac Hot Tropix nails tonight! Taking on board using the base as if it were red and Gigi's advice on lightly sealing, worked a treat - phew thank the god of nails:)!!

I always ensure I layer my base coat correctly and my first colour coat is perfect , therefore my second coat will glide on. Ensure your brush is parellel to the nail plate light touch and I find if you place your brush slightly to right of the eponychium then swipe over to left free edge capping very slightly and vice versa ensuring you finish in the middle .

Light touch, little shellac, good application,, will go a long way,, I take no more than 20-30 mins to do a shellac an more than ur application needs to be looked at ladies xxx

Latest posts

Back