Shellac Cake Pop - peeling, chipping and 'soft' at free edges?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleTips69

Reaction score
I have been using Shellac for ages, and it doesn't budge on my own nails, nor on my clients - it stays perfect for weeks. I've never experienced any problems really except for when using Cake Pop - which seems to go a bit 'soft', peels off and breaks down at the free edge?

My clients seem to be experiencing exactly the same problem with this shade also? I'm so embarrassed that within days their nails look a mess?

What is going wrong? Why would only this colour be a problem?

I don't have a clue what to do differently as I don't have a problem with any other shade?

Am I applying it too thick or something? Maybe I'm inadvertently applying it differently to get an even coverage of opaque colour? I have no idea! :-/

Any advice much appreciated :)

I have been using Shellac for ages, and it doesn't budge on my own nails, nor on my clients - it stays perfect for weeks. I've never experienced any problems really except for when using Cake Pop - which seems to go a bit 'soft', peels off and breaks down at the free edge?

My clients seem to be experiencing exactly the same problem with this shade also? I'm so embarrassed that within days their nails look a mess?

What is going wrong? Why would only this colour be a problem?

I don't have a clue what to do differently as I don't have a problem with any other shade?

Am I applying it too thick or something? Maybe I'm inadvertently applying it differently to get an even coverage of opaque colour? I have no idea! :-/

Any advice much appreciated :)

I don't have cake pop it's not a colour I like, is it a bit thicker like the white maybe, perhaps it is just getting a bit thick at the edges of your application and not curing properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the same problem!! Mine seemed really thin in the bottle (and yes I've given it a very good shake) was yours?! Xx

That's a shame your having problems with this colour. I've used it quite a lot and haven't came across any. I find I need to do three thin coats of it though. If it is soft at the edge it could be too thick and not curing properly. I'm sure someone with more experience and knowledge than me will correct me if i'm wrong. hope you get the issue sorted.

I have to treat Cake Pop the same way I do a full nail of Cream Puff. They're both quick a bit thicker in consistency than other colours. I feel that 3 really thin layers works best to get the full opaque colour and full cure. Hope that helps :)

Ahhh, yes I think it must be that I'm applying it slightly too thick to compensate for the streaky application it can give. I will try three very thin coats instead, at the moment I'm just doing the usual 2.

It's so embarrassing when a client comes in 4 days later with peeling and chipping :-(

I thought my own nails weren't lasting due to the use of Scrubfresh and acetone whilst working, but then seeing clients with the same problem - I was really gutted!

Thanks for the advice :)

I think that with some very light, opaque colours (Cake pop/Cream puff) you have a tendency to go thicker as you want full coverage. you maybe are applying it to thick, apply it to the nail, clean your brush off and drag the excess off.

have any of you that have Cake Pop had any experience of it fading? I have Gelish You're so sweet you're giving me toothache and almost straight away it fades to a light beige colour, I know its common with all pinks and luckily not had any complaints so far as its a nice colour but would like a baby pink that's not going to fade so quickly :)

have any of you that have Cake Pop had any experience of it fading? I have Gelish You're so sweet you're giving me toothache and almost straight away it fades to a light beige colour, I know its common with all pinks and luckily not had any complaints so far as its a nice colour but would like a baby pink that's not going to fade so quickly :)

It really is not common with all pinks .. only some of the pinks that contain a certain pigment and these tend to be the lighter shades. Every brand has the same issue with this particular pigment. WE have not had complaints about Cake Pop fading from our salon clients and we are in Spain. It¡'s a lovely colour when the skin is toasty tanned. :biggrin:

It really is not common with all pinks .. only some of the pinks that contain a certain pigment and these tend to be the lighter shades. Every brand has the same issue with this particular pigment. WE have not had complaints about Cake Pop fading from our salon clients and we are in Spain. It¡'s a lovely colour when the skin is toasty tanned. :biggrin:

Thanks Gigi, off to buy it now :)

Geeg
Are you able to tell us which colours these pigments are in so we can be forewarned if a client chooses them?
Thanks

The one which is prone to fading from Shellac range is Pink Bikini.

I agree - had terrible problems in the summer. Scared to use it now.

Latest posts

Back