Shellac client sidewall issue!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONSLJ

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I'm after some advice, I have one clients who's nails are frustrating me immensely! She has lovely long strong healthy nails, yet whatever I try her pinkie and/or thumb always peels at the sidewall after a week or so!.

So far I've tried shortening the length of the nails, double top coat for strength, my next step will be smoothing gel underneath but as she has good strong nails already I'm unsure if this will help?!

I use the full and complete CND Shellac system and my procedure is the same as all my clients who don't have any lifting issues.

I just really want to solve this it's bugging me now!

Hi geeks

I'm after some advice, I have one clients who's nails are frustrating me immensely! She has lovely long strong healthy nails, yet whatever I try her pinkie and/or thumb always peels at the sidewall after a week or so!.

So far I've tried shortening the length of the nails, double top coat for strength, my next step will be smoothing gel underneath but as she has good strong nails already I'm unsure if this will help?!

I use the full and complete CND Shellac system and my procedure is the same as all my clients who don't have any lifting issues.

I just really want to solve this it's bugging me now!
I think she is picking at it.Normally that is where clients attack first.It is there pinkie they attack whilst sitting on the sofa watching the tele.:Scared:

See this was my intial thought as it doesn't happen with others most of my clients get the full 2 weeks apart from those with poor condition nails, but my lady swears she hasn't touched them. Just so frustrating!xxx

She mighten be picking them but is she doing loads of Xmas pressie wrapping & using her pinkie / thumbs to lift the end of sellotape off the roll !!

That thumb comes in so handy to have a little pick at my head whilst chilling to watch TV & the pinkie is great for the front teeth too... Just saying ;)

She mighten be picking them but is she doing loads of Xmas pressie wrapping & using her pinkie / thumbs to lift the end of sellotape off the roll !!

That thumb comes in so handy to have a little pick at my head whilst chilling to watch TV & the pinkie is great for the front teeth too... Just saying ;)

Hummm the Sellotape has really got me thinking!!! It's the season and all! Ill enquire on that at next appointment!xxxx

It could be that her little finger and thumb roll over quite far in the lamp preventing a full cure to these nails? You could ensure that her hands are completely flat in the lamp and try curing the thumbs seperately? Even if this isn't the problem at least you'll have ruled it out :) x

Beauty Therapist and Training Associate

I wonder if you should check that she is placing and holding her fingers in the correct position in the lamp. Is it possible that she is tilting to one side or the other thereby having her shellac out of the direct line of light? This may lead to undercuring of the Shellac especially if she has a high C curve or deep sidewalls.

Just a thought but worth investigating further, maybe Geeg could confirm whether this could be a valid reason.

Ahhhh sorry crossed post with Oasis

It could be that her little finger and thumb roll over quite far in the lamp preventing a full cure to these nails? You could ensure that her hands are completely flat in the lamp and try curing the thumbs seperately? Even if this isn't the problem at least you'll have ruled it out :) x

Beauty Therapist and Training Associate

Brilliant yes that's definitely one I'll be trying thanks! I know I wrote pinkie I stupidly meant index finger, but on this occasion it's her thumb so could well be that still! Thanks.xx

Little update my client informs me she has been picking at Sellotape but it's the left thumb that's lifted and she issues her right hand for 'picking' I'm stumped haha! Really hoping it's the cure issue that was mentioned, as she does have deep side walls and c curve!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1386956890.275949.jpg
Oh and I've just been told the left index finger has a chip too :-( her nails grow so so fast she's only on day 10 and look at the regrowth! Amazing.x

It sounds like her nails are peeling under the shellac (delamination) so when her nail peels the shellac will obviously go with it.

It sounds like her nails are peeling under the shellac (delamination) so when her nail peels the shellac will obviously go with it.

I'm trying to remember if there were any signs when I applied them I'm pretty sure there wasn't or very minimal, yet she does admit to not using solar oil so certainly wouldn't help.xx

Does she have deep sidewalls?

Pull the lateral folds away from her nail when doing your PEP - use Cuticle Away and get in there with a curette. That's where cuticle, oil from the skin and dead skin cells are likely to accumulate as they can't wear away naturally like on the rest of the nail.

You might also want to consider using Scrub Fresh on each hand separately before applying your base coat instead of going through all 10 nails :)

Xxx

Hmmmm
I have deep sidewalks and a very deep c curve to my nails but they don't chip at the side walls ever! It must be something to do with how she uses her hands?!

Thanks all, I thought I was being thorough Emily but that's great advice and I'll certainly be making sure I'm doing this- thanks again all!x

Latest posts

Back