Shellac color too thick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintdebeaute

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My Cake Pop is too thick. I've used it only few times and have it just for 8 months. It's too difficult to work with it . The truth is that i didn't take care of it at first (didn't shake it very well before first use and before applications, didn't clean the bottle after) But now I really shake them very well before every application (the Fingernail fixer way) and keep it clean. So I wonder if all my Shellac colors are going to be as thick as this one. I also want to know how you take care of your Shellac bottles and how you store them. Thank you in advance!

I keep them on the rack out of direct light and excess heat.

I admit to not looking after mine brilliantly but they've lasted really well.

It may be worth trying - like with top coat that goes thick - holding cake pop somewhere warm like under your bottom or between legs to warm it slightly which can really help with thickness.

Vic x

I keep them on the rack out of direct light and excess heat.

I admit to not looking after mine brilliantly but they've lasted really well.

It may be worth trying - like with top coat that goes thick - holding cake pop somewhere warm like under your bottom or between legs to warm it slightly which can really help with thickness.

Vic x
So you think that shellac worth the money? I really love them but this time I was so disappointed and I m thinking to switch to other brand.

The more opaque a colour is (not see through) the more white pigment is in the colour.
These colours are the most likely to thicken if not looked after.
When in the beginning, you didn't shake it and didn't keep the neck clean , the solvents were able to sit on top and evaporate easily, leaving the product thicker.
If looked after the thickening should be non existent in most colours.
The chemistry that allows the solvents to evaporate, also means the product removes really easily.
Swopping to another brand won't give you the easy soak off which you get with CND shellac, think long term and what saves you time which means money [emoji4]

Why does the topcoat thicken so quickly?

Because you use it a lot more than the colours. ie every time. Each time you allow air into the bottle it will thicken slightly, the science of it is lengthy but that's why. x

Because you use it a lot more than the colours. ie every time. Each time you allow air into the bottle it will thicken slightly, the science of it is lengthy but that's why. x

Oh yes that makes sense. It's so frustrating though. Even warming isn't doing much now!

Latest posts

Back