Shellac cured under LED, now I'm confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie's Nails

Reaction score
I thought I would treat myself whilst doing a bit of research yesterday by having my nails done at a local salon. As I already offer Bio Sculpture and Shellac in my salon I thought I would find a salon offering Jessica Geleration so that I can see how it wears on me. I'm going to a wedding on Saturday so a good excuse to not doing my nails myself too. I was a little disappointed to find the lady use Shellac base and top coats to the Jessica Geleration, but my reason for writing is that she cured the Shellac coats in her Geleration LED lamp for 30 secs. I'm confused because Shellac is not LED curable. When bio went LED they had to change the formulation of the gel, so how come she was able to cure Shellac??? Anyone able to explain how this can be?

The simple answer is she wasn't able to know that it was properly cured using any other lamp than what CND say and they havn't released an LED lamp yet. So the person who did your treatment was going against manufacturers advice.

What a disgrace! You didn't get what you went in for and then the service was completed incorrectly! You should get your money back really.

As for the Shellac curing under LED light - as far as I'm aware it may look like it's cured but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

Was it an expensive salon?

What a right old mish mash job she did - Shellac is not LED curable (mores the pity) but will hopefully be soon'ish, next year or so.

Why can't people/techs just do the right thing, no wonder clients get confused!

Karaxxx

It took me ages to decide on which salon to try tbh as being a Nail Technician myself for 10yrs I am very fussy. It just goes to show you can't go by the appearance of a website or by the salon itself. She didn't charge me much thank goodness. It was a good exercise for me as it has made me appreciate how good I am! :) I might try another Salon sometime to see how they compare. Bit of am eye-opener.

That is a shame. FWIW, I understand why she would want to do it - have the ease of removal of Shellac and the range of other brands' color coats. I think that the base and top coat of CND Shellac are already somewhat LED curable. Clear coats are easier to cure than color coats as the UV rays can go through the clear coats. We've certainly seen that in trying to cure darker color coats.

The problem is that although it may look cured, she simply doesn't know that it is properly cured. Gel hardens at only 55% cured.

I've now put a layer of bio sculpture gel on them to protect them as I don't want them lifting at this wedding today! So I now have Shellac, geleration AND bio on my nails! Lol

Actually there are several shellac colors that can be LED cured. Off the top of my head the silver chrome one and Red Baroness. I do it all the time. Most won't work but a few do. The 2 I mentioned above I use every 2 weeks without fail on clients that keep the same color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually there are several shellac colors that can be LED cured. Off the top of my head the silver chrome one and Red Baroness. I do it all the time. Most won't work but a few do. The 2 I mentioned above I use every 2 weeks without fail on clients that keep the same color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried curing some of my Shellac colours in my 18g LED lamp out of curiosity ( on my own nails only) and it won't cure..... So if some can be cured by LED I wonder if CND Shellac are starting to alter their formula slightly ready for LED??? Surely it's only a matter of time before they announce that they can be LED cured... Also wonder if this is why some people are finding the removal more difficult than previously ( just read another thread on removal although I personally never have removal problems) :)

Apparently it's more likely that they will create an LED lamp to fit Shellac rather than change the formula of the polish. But, saying that I and many others have noticed that Shellac consistency changed with the spring colours released last year and it seemed a very different product to apply and behaved differently. Some people bought new bottles of original colours and found them to be completely different too. Who knows?

Apparently it's more likely that they will create an LED lamp to fit Shellac rather than change the formula of the polish. But, saying that I and many others have noticed that Shellac consistency changed with the spring colours released last year and it seemed a very different product to apply and behaved differently. Some people bought new bottles of original colours and found them to be completely different too. Who knows?

I guess this is a case of 'watch this space' and start saving for the CND LED Lamp ;)

I use the Shellac top coat after completing a Bio service ... it prevents yellowing, stays super shiny and enhances the finish.

I have read on this site that later this year CND will be bringing out an LED lamp for Shellac, but it will be our choice whether to use it or stay with our UV lamps.

Both will cure.

Latest posts

Back