Shellac discolouration at tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've had a read through other posts and can't see anything that quite answers this... any ideas what on earth has happened to my clients Shellac nails?? (Pic attached)
In all my 101 years (it feels like!!) of doing nails, I've never ever had this happen! I've quizzed the client on every possibility of what's caused the discolouration - the usual such as cleaning products, hair dye, food, make up, tan etc and she's not used or done anything to cause this.
Any ideas?? I'm thinking maybe the inside of gloves or pockets have dyed them, but she says she's not used anything new!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453308708.001972.jpg

Does the client smoke?

Its clearly something she has come into contact with, it looks like hair dye to me, if she got her hair recently colored that could be it.

Well regardless of what caused it, there is nothing you could have possibly done that would have caused discoloration like this, it is most certainly something she has come into contact with wither she remembers what did it or not. :) I wouldn't worry :)

Hmmm ..... Tricky one eh?
Presumably the stains don't come off with any products you've tried?
All I can suggest is soak off, check the nails underneath and scrub fresh well before reapplying.
It sounds like you've asked her all the right questions. I can only think it's from working in the garden or flower arranging where the sap has got into the gel/nail plate
Sorry I can't help more

It's bizarre isn't it?!? I'm convinced it must be something that's contaminated them - what though, she's no idea and I certainly haven't got a clue!!
Thanks folks... I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this and discovered what caused it... I'm intrigued now! xx

It's bizarre isn't it?!? I'm convinced it must be something that's contaminated them - what though, she's no idea and I certainly haven't got a clue!!
Thanks folks... I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this and discovered what caused it... I'm intrigued now! xx
Definitely something she's gotten into, no matter what she tells you. You can see it was a liquid type thing because it's literally run into the sidewalls. Charge for removal. Not your fault!

Hello, for what it's worth, my guesses are:
1) As it's so cold, everyone is wearing gloves! Surely your client is wearing gloves too...They don't have to be new gloves to stain. Possibly leather gloves? I've had similar (ish) thing happen with gel and dark blues jeans that weren't new. If she's not wearing gloves, then I bet she's spending all her outdoors time with her hands in her pockets.
2) Is she a brunette? If so, does she use a shampoo specially for brunette?. They are not hair dyes as such (I think!) so she wouldn't say that she is using hair dye, but they must have some sort of pigment in them to be specially for brunettes.
3) Peeling/chopping vegetables - some veg are quite colour-leaking (beetroot, spinach to an extent and even potatoes!!)

Would be great to get to the bottom of this - keep us updated!

Shes blonde, but I like your thinking! I'm pretty sure the gloves thing will be it - I've had it with dark jeans too, they stain your hands and nails.
She seems quite happy to accept it's something she's done as she's a regular client and never had a problem in all the years I've done her nails, but we're just baffled as she's adamant she's not done anything that would obviously cause it!
Just wondered if anyone else had seen the same with a client and it was caused by something we haven't thought of!
Oh well, thank you all and if I get to the bottom of it, I'll let you know! X

Is this a layered combination? Was just wondering if it top later had removed slightly and the underneath one showing through (altho it looks like tropix)

No it's Bikini Pink! Does look a bit like Tropix on the pic though! X

Just remembered - chopping red cabbage for Christmas dinner stained the edge of my shellac. However I was wearing ruby ritz so no-one noticed it!.
Intrigued to know if you ever find out the cause...

Maybe staining from makeup or food.

I have had dish soap stain shellac French before. It happened to be the blue dawn dish soap ( I'm in the states, not sure if you all have dawn dish soap) it seemed very odd though.

Latest posts

Back