Shellac fix

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplerose

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Started Shellac in November and this has never happened to me before, so not sure what to do. I did a new clients nails on Thurs and she sent me this picture today to show me what happened them. She is a waitress, so I assume there is no using them as "tools" in her job. She wants to come back for a fix, but not sure how to fix them. Do I remove them all and start again?! Any advice appreciated. Thanks. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375791989.097178.jpg

Hi Geeks,

Started Shellac in November and this has never happened to me before, so not sure what to do. I did a new clients nails on Thurs and she sent me this picture today to show me what happened them. She is a waitress, so I assume there is no using them as "tools" in her job. She wants to come back for a fix, but not sure how to fix them. Do I remove them all and start again?! Any advice appreciated. Thanks. View attachment 39799

She has totally been picking these. It is so obvious that there has been client interference. I would tell her she is not suitable as a client as she is interfering with the manicure. No re-dos .. no recommendation to carry on. She is a picker. She tried it .. she interfered with it .. she will not change. End of.

I agree with Geeg - she's definitely a picker so you don't have to re do anything and it would be a waste of both of your time. It looks as though she has even picked the edge of her nails off as the shape and length is uneven - serial picker!

I agree with Geeg, those have been picked at!!

Lee-Ann x

She has totally been picking these. It is so obvious that there has been client interference. I would tell her she is not suitable as a client as she is interfering with the manicure. No re-dos .. no recommendation to carry on. She is a picker. She tried it .. she interfered with it .. she will not change. End of.

Great post!

I so wish I was as firm as u.

So When wud u tell her this? As soon as u saw the picture or wait until she she comes in?

U sound firm but a little rude, is that what u have to be like to stop them protesting?

Thank u

Ohh and one last question
What would you say and do of she 100% denies picking them
Thanks

I don't think Geeg was being rude, she was just to the point.

If I have learned anything from SG its that you have to be firm with clients that are trying to scam you into a freebie. If you know your prep and application was good then that shouldn't happen and looking at those, as Geeg has said, these have been picked at and she shouldn't get a free re-do.

Lee-Ann xx

Great post!

I so wish I was as firm as u.

So When wud u tell her this? As soon as u saw the picture or wait until she she comes in?

U sound firm but a little rude, is that what u have to be like to stop them protesting?

Thank u

Firm does not mean rude. I would just tell her that I can clearly see that she has been picking and that I will remove the product and not re-do them. Removal is in my original price so it does not cost me. The client has the choice to try again or leave it. Either way, they pay for the service. Stop being a woman and start being a business woman. Telling someone that they are interfering is not being rude. I KNOW if someone is interfering .. I am not guessing at it.

I am not questioning my work, as I have never had this happen before, and I know I should be a strong business woman but I have only just started up on my own and I rent a room in a salon so am still new to the business side of things. She took a few of my business cards when she came as she was happy with my work and said she would pass them onto her friends. Part of me wants to fix it as she was a lovely lady. If I was to re-do, I would only do it once. If it happened again I would suggest she go elsewhere. Also, I would do the same colour, if she picks it off for a freebie change of colour then she'll know she can't get away with it. She said in her original message to me that normally Shellac lasts 3 weeks on her fingers!! Am I being too soft?!

Oh all new clients say that!

Oh where I used to go they lasted 3 months! Yeh right and I fell off a Christmas tree! I am heavy handed and hammer my nails, shellac stays on FOREVER! My mother though is a florist and ruins hers within day, what happens then? She picks them! Xx

I am not questioning my work, as I have never had this happen before, and I know I should be a strong business woman but I have only just started up on my own and I rent a room in a salon so am still new to the business side of things. She took a few of my business cards when she came as she was happy with my work and said she would pass them onto her friends. Part of me wants to fix it as she was a lovely lady. If I was to re-do, I would only do it once. If it happened again I would suggest she go elsewhere. Also, I would do the same colour, if she picks it off for a freebie change of colour then she'll know she can't get away with it. She said in her original message to me that normally Shellac lasts 3 weeks on her fingers!! Am I being too soft?!

In a word ? Yes! These people absolutely play on a soft soul ... these have been picked. It is obvious they have been picked ... if you want to give in to that blackmail then that will determine how much people use you.

She left you with perfect nails. It's up to her to keep them looking that way.

Obviously nothing is indestructible - but she has picked at them.

It's up to you how you handle it but I would suggest they come off and re-done = both charged.
x

Only you know your business and what is the right thing to do for you. To me, it sounds like you're leaning toward fixing them for her. I think you should go with your gut. If you think it's important to fix them for her once (in the same color) as a sign of good faith that maybe something just went wrong this time, I think that's totally up to you. Especially considering you're newly out on your own and think she may be referring friends to you. It might be worth it to you to offer to redo them. Obviously you'll be sure to explain after care instructions again and assure her if it happens again that she is just not suitable for Shellac, at least from you. You'll know if you fix them for her and this happens again, that's she's trying to take advantage or is just not able to leave her nails alone (thus not suitable for shellac). Either way, I think your conscience will be clear. Good luck.

Definitely client abuse PurpleRose (totally going to call you that in the shop from now on!!) Geek names only in the Sweet Shop!

You know you are great at what you do and you have many happy clients, she's picked her nails no doubt. Your time is worth more than fixing up for free what she has deliberately damaged. I would explain to her that this is down to abuse and you will re-do for her at whatever you charge- lovely lady or not doesn't pay your bills!
Only you can decide what you feel is the right move for you but I do think you are maybe being a bit soft...at the very most all I would give is a slight discount and a very strong emphasis on it being a gesture of goodwill. Send her off with her aftercare and make sure you fully explain her nails are her responsibility and she needs to take care of them.
Once people know you're a soft touch then they run with that and you're snookered!

Do you have the aftercare sheet for clients?

Anyone noticed that the four fingers on the left hand she has curled them under on the photo?? Indicating those ones are fine?! I find most of my clients are right handed. And those ones are the first to go and when they start to go the urge is to pick them. The lamest hand my guess is fine. A huge give away to client non aftercare!!

^ LEFT ( not lamest) auto correct!

I struggle with these situations if they ever occur. I have a client in tomorrow who has been having regular gelish/shellac for 8 months. She texted to say two nails have "chipped on the end" the day I did them (Saturday). This has happened once before and it was because her nail had flaked at free edge - she is a hairdresser so hands in water loads. I will redo these nails for free because (a) I am a mug and (b) it will keep a regular client happy.

Latest posts

Back